Help me decide my next lens!!!

12 years 8 months ago #125478 by Scotty

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125482 by MLKstudios
I'm biased. I always go for the Nikkor brand (or Leitz or Zeiss, etc.). I've heard of people who are happy with off brands, but I don't know how "crucial" they were. ;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #125483 by Scotty
I'm reading such mixed reviews. I actually went into a camera store with my cam today and did some test shots. wide open from 1.4-2.0. Just too lazy to load them up right now. Wanted to see how bad the CA was on both.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125484 by MLKstudios
Usually when someone sings praises for their new off brand lens, they've never printed anything larger than a 4x6.

If they are somewhat professional, they sometimes say they had to "try a few" before they got a good one.

With computer designs and robots building lenses, there shouldn't be too many bad ones. I just "believe" that Nikon's QC is a step above the rest.

But, you already have the proof you need. Don't be lazy!

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #125510 by Scotty
Sigma's looking good :X

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125520 by Pixelchix
Ok this might sound like a dumb question but what does one mostly shoot with a 50mm?
PS I love my Sigma macro

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125521 by MLKstudios

Scotty wrote: Sigma's looking good :X

Pixel peeping?

Pixelchix wrote: Ok this might sound like a dumb question but what does one mostly shoot with a 50mm?

A 50mm is classic do everything lens. Of course it doesn't zoom, but it can be used for most ANY subject.

Back in the "olden" days, it was the first lens you bought with a body. It was also the cheapest.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #125524 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote:

Scotty wrote: Sigma's looking good :X

Pixel peeping?

Pixelchix wrote: Ok this might sound like a dumb question but what does one mostly shoot with a 50mm?

A 50mm is classic do everything lens. Of course it doesn't zoom, but it can be used for most ANY subject.

Back in the "olden" days, it was the first lens you bought with a body. It was also the cheapest.

Pixel peeping yes.

Also agreed with do it all type lens. It's AMAZING for developing discipline as well. Making you foot zoom and compose more tight. Low light is fun as well, with good bokeh.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125525 by MLKstudios
I almost require one for my course. They might choose a 35mm instead (Nikon's 35mm "G" is nice, and not too expensive), but I "highly recommend" they own a prime for those reasons -- low light without a flash, clarity un-surpassed, the ability to use shallow DoF, and it makes you THINK differently than using a kit zoom lens -- like a photographer must do.

In short, you become more aware of your frame (and compositions). It's also the "fastest" lens most pros own. You can find them in f/1.4, f/1.2, f/1.0 and even f/0.95 "speed".

overgaard.dk/leica-50mm-Noctilux-M-ASPH-f-095.html

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #125528 by Shadowfixer1
I've heard the Sigma is good, but I'm like Matthew. I'm a lens snob. If it ain't Nikon, I'm not buying it. I bought a Sigma 12-24 one time for an interior job. That lens sucked. I could barely get suitable sharpness, at least for me at f-8.0. Sold it at half price to get rid of it. Let us know which you pick.
12 years 8 months ago #125533 by Scotty

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I've heard the Sigma is good, but I'm like Matthew. I'm a lens snob. If it ain't Nikon, I'm not buying it. I bought a Sigma 12-24 one time for an interior job. That lens sucked. I could barely get suitable sharpness, at least for me at f-8.0. Sold it at half price to get rid of it. Let us know which you pick.

Adrian has a sigma 50, he's been pushing me to get one. I will. Going tomorrow to buy it.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125534 by MLKstudios
I'm with shadow, who is with Matthew, for the same reason. ;)

BTW before putting out lots of $$$ for a 2.8 zoom, I encourage my students to get a 35mm, a 50mm, and an 85mm instead. Three focal lengths are better than many.

A 60mm or 105 mm macro is also a good choice.

I have the bad ass 2.8 zooms Nikon makes too, but if I can shoot it with a prime, that's always my first choice.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #125535 by Scotty
BTW the sigma has a 77mm thread on it. So I can use all my filters....which is kind of big to me.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125557 by Prago
I think you would be happy with the Sigma. Sigma primes are better than some of their other lenses IMHO.

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125558 by Scotty

Prago wrote: I think you would be happy with the Sigma. Sigma primes are better than some of their other lenses IMHO.

I know it's hit and miss with them. I'm seeing some crazy results. I'm going to bring my cam with me to the store again and make them bring out all their copies of it and line up some batteries.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024