Industrial Photography: J. Koudelka

12 years 8 months ago #127198 by MLKstudios
In response to the article about photographing buildings in Long Beach. Some work by Koudelka:

www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=ViewBox_...A&CT=Search&DT=Image

More osmosis. ;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #127218 by Baydream
Not quite sure how this site is related to the Long Beach thread. Sorry, but after viewing this link, this design major didn't find much that he would consider well photographed pieces.

I believe if someone posted most of these here, they would receive negative critiques based on composition, contrast and other "flaws".

No one seems to know the origin but it fits. "I may not know much about art, but I know what I like."

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127222 by MLKstudios
Bravo, Baydream! He's considered one of the greatest living photographers. But, WHY???

The connection to your post is how we don't know what art is. How can a policeman know? Few would have art degrees.

Makes you wonder about who we give power to, doesn't it.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #127224 by photobod

Baydream wrote: Not quite sure how this site is related to the Long Beach thread. Sorry, but after viewing this link, this design major didn't find much that he would consider well photographed pieces.

I believe if someone posted most of these here, they would receive negative critiques based on composition, contrast and other "flaws".

No one seems to know the origin but it fits. "I may not know much about art, but I know what I like."

With you on this one John :agree: :agree: :agree:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 8 months ago #127227 by MLKstudios
Welcome to the internet. :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #127341 by KCook
Good grief. I've now fallen into a twilight zone. All of the photography I did for pay, not as a hobby, was in industry, for industry. And none of my bosses gave a fig whether the shots were pretty, or correct, or not. All the boss wanted to see was how the subject turned out, not how the photo turned out. Kind of like comparing mechanics to artists. Both may work on cars, but to very different ends.

I would have classified that gallery as architectural / urban photography. Not industrial photography.

spanner Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127432 by MLKstudios
Koudelka is best known for his pictures of the Russian invasion (of tanks) into Czechoslovakia in 1968, called the Prague Spring.

It's fantastic work. You can find them online and at Magnum.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #127454 by Joves
I found most of that page to be rather depressing. I dont find much of it arty but then Im merely one of the unwashed masses so it doesnt matter.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127455 by Scotty
Get the bats ready to hit me, but those just look like snapshots to me? :nunu: :nunu: :nunu:

Then again I am not classically trained in art.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127456 by MLKstudios
No Joves, you're right. His Prague photos ARE very depressing. Russia had just invaded them! It shows in his Italian work too.

What matters is he captured the humanity. He allowed us to feel what they felt at that time. We shared in their struggle.

It isn't hard to understand WHY some work stands out over others. Just ask yourself, does it speak to me? Did I feel something? Did I learn something new?

Matthew :)

PS Try some of Selbastio Selgado's black & whites. He shoots for the UN. Much easier to see the importance of the human element in them. Migration is an extremely important work for the UN as well as the rest of the world. How people migrate to where there is food and jobs. It changes everything.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127463 by MLKstudios
Scotty, while some of your stuff is repetitive (I've seen it all before), I can also see the direction you are going. You have an eye for colors and textures that comes through.

Our humanity also exists in things not human. For example, Shadow's stairway, and the old cars. You have a sense for the people who once used them. Or dang's macros of insects. He is showing us something. Look --- it's really purty!

John loves those eagles. I never took any eagle pics that good. He lives for them.

David, just keep your sword sharp for now. Hone your argument skills.

Is it beginning to make sense? Our pictures have to mean something to us, before they can mean something to others.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #127464 by Scotty
These look like shots i'd throw away to be honest.

www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=ViewBox_...GAMGY&PN=1&CT=Search

That's interesting to me, but the framing is weird.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127465 by MLKstudios
You have to picture them in your mind MUCH larger. He breaks all the rules at times. But, they do balance.

It's difficult when we are used to seeing the same styles over and over, and think they have to look like those to be good. In art, rules must be broken. We use the old, to find new ways to see.

Matthew

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #127469 by Scotty
I agree rules need to be broken, but it doesn't make it good. It honestly looks like my first 1000 out of my first 10,000.

Just different tastes is all.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127471 by MLKstudios
We all go through stages. There's even an internet "graph" about how we first think we're really good, then we start looking at other's work, and think we're really bad. Eventually, we find our own voice with our cameras. Those are the next 100K.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024