Photos from the flood

12 years 7 months ago #138474 by crystal
Hubby and I went out early this afternoon to take pictures of the flood. Here they are on my facebook.. www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.243774...0001040896119&type=1

The water levels have gone up alot since I have taken these pictures.
12 years 7 months ago #138477 by MLKstudios
You forgot to add, "Wish You Were Here". Nice set, Crystal. Are you OK?

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #138485 by crystal
lol sorry... ok.. wish you were all here to enjoy to wonderful event history in the making. lol

Yea we are ok, for now. The levee system is holding up, but the top is like 41ft, right now the river is at 38ft and still rising. If the levee breaks or the river goes over, that is when there will be some trouble for the whole valley. In many low laying areas the river made it up and onto the main road in some areas. Every bridge is closed except for the main highway that runs through the valley. Interstate 81 and 80 is closed. Thousands of people have been evacuated (we should have left by 4pm) had fire department coming around telling us all to leave, it was also on the news. But we stayed and several neighbors also stayed.

If you look at the pictures most of them are of the 8th st bridge, well this afternoon the news did a live coverage in the helicopter the one end of the bridge (the picture that shows the road cover below the traffic light. That whole end of the bridge is covered...and we were on it just a few hours ago.

We had floods in the past, but nothing like this one (well not while I've been alive). People are to be evacuated until Sunday. There was no way we were leaving our home, to sleep/stay in a local high school...when for right now...we are still dry....for this moment.
12 years 7 months ago #138488 by Baydream
Our thoughts are with you, Crystal.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #138489 by icepics
Couldn't see the pictures. Was on the news some here (I live in Ohio but over in the Cincy/Dayton area). Hope you're OK tonight and that it crests soon.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #138515 by photobod
Brave of you to hang in there and get some photos Crystal, typical of a photographer I must say, photos before safety :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: do stay safe though and get out if you have to dont wait to be rescued. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 7 months ago #138521 by crystal

photobod wrote: Brave of you to hang in there and get some photos Crystal, typical of a photographer I must say, photos before safety :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: do stay safe though and get out if you have to dont wait to be rescued. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

When we first headed out, I was on a bridge taking pictures and my father calls. Ask me if I am out (meaning out of the house and in safety) I said yes, we are out...out taking pictures. lol He yelled at me for being out taking pictures, being in harms way. I said, dad, this is going to be history. People took pictures and video of hurricane Agnes in 72 (it's the talk of this valley). Everyone who lives here, knows about it even if they didn't experience it. So I be stupid not to take pictures. So when I got off the phone, I said to my husband...I'm a photographer I should be here. lol
12 years 7 months ago #138525 by crystal
I would like to share this to you guys, to show how serious this is.. This is a video of a house floating down the river. This link is shown as public on facebook, so you all should be able to view it. I didn't shoot the video, but I did shoot some video and watch the side of a shed wall come down the river and hit the bridge I was on....talk about crashing noise and vibration.

www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=211494268912166
12 years 7 months ago #138536 by Scotty
Glad to hear you're doing ok.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #138653 by Mayo
Link didn't open up for me?

Canon 5D - Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4L
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #138665 by icepics
I logged into Facebook, then I was able to see the photos and video. Wow that water's really up, hope it stops rising soon. Hope there's better news by tomorrow.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #138777 by Silver Fox

icepics wrote: I logged into Facebook, then I was able to see the photos and video. Wow that water's really up, hope it stops rising soon. Hope there's better news by tomorrow.

:agree:

Good luck with that. How are things going today?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024