How to Critique a photo.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #139310 by Darla
I see so many photo's on here that are looked at but then hardly have any critiques left on them and when they do it's just a "good photo" / "bad photo" sorta of a deal. Please, let's start sharing our voices on here of our thoughts on the photo's. It will help all of us out. Not only the poster of the photo but you will learn to be a better judge of your own photo's as well. I'm sharing a link of how to properly critique a photo. Don't worry about hurting somebody's feelings. If you are tactful and follow these critiquing rules then that's what the poster is looking for. So get to critiquing!

How To Critique a Photo

Darla Kay

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ol Hippie
12 years 8 months ago #139312 by J. Hansen
I would like to learn!!! Am I just not seeeing the link or am I looking in the wrong place??

12 years 8 months ago #139313 by ClickAPic
I can't see the link either.
12 years 8 months ago #139314 by Scotty
Moved to generate traffic. cheers :cheers:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darla
12 years 8 months ago #139323 by Darla
Okay, I fixed the link!

12 years 8 months ago #139325 by ClickAPic
Excellent! Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darla
12 years 8 months ago #139332 by Scotty
This is invaluable for a forum. I'm going to sticky it for a little while.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarlaK
12 years 8 months ago #139807 by Mike eats photos
Good post. Although I now can critique someone, there was a time were I too was afraid to speak my mind of one's picture. But as my photography skills grew, so did my confidence in critiqueing others. :thumbsup:

12 years 8 months ago #139811 by Baydream
Our photo club has a professional critique our work every other month. I have learned a lot about critiquing photos from these pros.
I think the sheer volume of photos keeps some folks with limited time from doing in-depth critiques. It takes a community :)

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #139815 by Cre8tivefix
Excellent information and advice. Thank your for posting this.

12 years 8 months ago #139907 by Rob pix4u2
wonderful tips on giving a good critique, very informative and concise

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 8 months ago #139908 by butterflygirl921
i thought people liked it when you complimented thier photos by saying good job excellent....call me weird but i like that....but im up for change :P

12 years 8 months ago #139920 by JAGriff
I try to always comment on a photo, especially after rating or even viewing. On the rare occasion that I simply say, "nice photo", it's probably because I have nothing to critique and it's likely that I have given those photos a rating of 5 stars, which is also something I rarely do. But, even then I try to comment on what I do like about them.

A photo is more than just a picture. It is a moment captured in time.

www.wix.com/jagriff/jeffreyagriffinphotography

12 years 8 months ago #139959 by DonD2

butterflygirl921 wrote: i thought people liked it when you complimented thier photos by saying good job excellent....call me weird but i like that....but im up for change :P

Amanda, I think that the point is that, yes, we ALL love to get the warm glowing feedback on our photos, however we can not grow as a photographer if all we hear or receive as feedback or critique is the good stuff. No matter how great a photo is, there are always opportunities to improve or grow. If by nothing more than how someone else may have composed, exposed or lit the same subject. It gives us food for thought and a different perspective, so, next time we might remember what someone said and say to ourselves, hmmmm, I wonder if what so and so said might work here, hmmm well I'm gonna give it a try and see what comes of it.

One thing that I try to do is sandwich something I'm not crazy about in between two things that I do like, or throw things out as a suggestion, like, "I might try cropping a little off the left (or whatever) to bring more focus on your subject or balance out your composition, etc. etc." and then add "Just my opinion and I love the way the colors pop off the page and the DoF you used" something like that, to get someone to think outside of "their" box. I am still relatively new to photography, but I (and you and everyone) still have opinions and or ideas of how they perceive the image or how they may have done things differently and it causes us to think and grow.

So, sorry, I didn't mean to ramble on so long...... :rofl: (but i sure can run off on rabbit trails quite easily, can you say A.D.D.? :rofl: )
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #140312 by Henry Peach
Before someone can give a critique they must hear what the photographer's goals were in creating the photograph. If you post a photo without giving me some background or an idea as to what you were trying to accomplish I cannot critique the photo. I can only tell you if I find it aesthetically pleasing or how I would have gone about creating it, but that is not a critique. A critique is not a statement made by one person, but rather a conversation between the viewer and the creator. The more info the photographer posts along with the photo the more points I can address. If the point of the photo was just to create a pretty picture then chances are my critique will be limited to "Great job!" or "Not my cup of tea."

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024