Ken Rockwell?

12 years 8 months ago #142718 by Stealthy Ninja
Thing I have against him as noobs take his word as gospel (because they can't see the crap amongst the OK stuff he says) and they have to unlearn some dumb ideas.

His information on lenses is pretty useful at times, but his opinions on lenses I largely ignore.
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #142746 by MLKstudios
While I was away, something happened to the web I knew and loved. It got TWEETED.

We used to go searching for knowledge in its deepest recesses. Now we expect someone to point to us to a site that's "popular". It was more individualistic before, and now there is a mass psychology working.

The problem I see, is those who got so many LIKES from Tweets, are immediately given credibility, whether it is deserved or not. The n00bs thought anything they didn't already know was brilliant. And for some un-known reason, no one told them differently.

So now we have some very popular (and rich) "experts" who are idolized, but under any scrutiny, would be full of holes. And the money they've earned causes the Steve Jobs effect to kick in. Whatever they say or do is coming from the voice of GOD! And we should all give them more money, buy more of their stuff, for they are the key holders.

"There is no right or wrong, just popular opinion", is what people are being judged on now. Not right or wrong. No one is allowed to make an honest judgement any more. Just look at how popular they are!

And now I have to figure a way to undo this mess, one student at a time.

Better start with The Macallan.

:(

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #142834 by effron

MLKstudios wrote: While I was away, something happened to the web I knew and loved. It got TWEETED.

We use to go searching for knowledge in its deepest recesses. Now we expect someone to point to us to a site that's "popular". It was more individualistic before, and now there is a mass psychology working.

The problem I see, is those who got so many LIKES from Tweets, are immediately given credibility, whether it is deserved or not. The n00bs thought anything they didn't already know was brilliant. And for some un-known reason, no one told them differently.

So now we have some very popular (and rich) "experts" who are idolized, but under any scrutiny, would be full of holes. And the money they've earned causes the Steve Jobs effect to kick in. Whatever they say or do is coming from the voice of GOD! And we should all give them more money, buy more of their stuff, for they are the key holders.

"There is no right or wrong, just popular opinion", is what people are being judged on now. Not right or wrong. No one is allowed to make an honest judgement any more. Just look at how popular they are!

And now I have a figure a way to undo this mess, one student at a time.

Better start with The Macallan.

:(

Please, don't stop with your photography students..........

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #142835 by Stealthy Ninja
MLK wants to be the new Ken Rockwell. :p
12 years 8 months ago #142885 by uJi9

Stealthy Ninja wrote: MLK wants to be the new Ken Rockwell. :p

That's how I took his post. Oh great.:rolleyes

12 years 8 months ago #142897 by Stealthy Ninja

uJi9 wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: MLK wants to be the new Ken Rockwell. :p

That's how I took his post. Oh great.:rolleyes

:o oh noes :o
12 years 8 months ago #142957 by icepics
I think Matthew aspires to be himself. The thing w/the internet and blogs where anybody who can type can write a blog) there's so much information to sift through. Somehow something being online gives it some sort of credibility to many people. I usually look at the source and tend to not go by any one source for information. If someone's new to photography I would hope they'd be looking at more sites than just Ken Rockwell's.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #142962 by MLKstudios
Exactly Sharon.

If you are new to this game, how do you know what is real and what is memorex? If it's something you've not heard of, or were told is important (like HDR), than anyone who professes a knowledge of it gets immediate credibility for handing out free instructions on the web.

Of course some of the info is good and valid, but not all of it is.

Matthew :)

Also as a teacher of the arts and photography, I never ask my students to do things MY way. I want them to discover THEIR way.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #143496 by Moe

Henry Peach wrote: I think he is pretty much earning his living blogging about photography. I don't believe he's ever worked as a professional photographer. I've heard he was an engineer, but I think the blog and related activities is all he is up to now. It seems to me he is both a photography enthusiast, he incorporates photography into his life and leisure time whenever possible, and a gear fanatic.

He's one of millions of other goof-ball, know-it-all, internet photographers writing about what they they know, but his blog has become more famous than most. I'm not a fan, but when I have visited his site I've found most of the information sound. I think his equipment reviews are as accurate or more so than the internet average. He obviously understands the traffic increasing value of controversy: there's no such thing as bad publicity. He's pushed a few sound bite opinions that have ticked off other popular photo-bloggers and gear fanatics, and so he's sort of the photo-blogger photographers love to hate.

He ticked off the guys over at Luminous Landscapes when he wrote an article about how the gear doesn't matter. Nothing he wrote was anything new, but I guess his web notoriety focused the accusations of heresy on KR. One thing I learned from that tussle was never tell the guy holding the $50K camera that the gear doesn't matter. ;)

Another thing he said that seemed to make some people mad was that tripods were obsolete because of the great high ISO quality of DSLRs. Many, many years ago he made folks angry when he said the 6mp APS-C sensor spelled the end of 35mm film. Last I checked he'd gone 180 with that one. Now he says 35mm film is superior to digital sensors. He was calling film "real raw". They're all like political sound bites: not worth much of anything in the real world, but guaranteed to get people riled up.

Very interesting, entertainment!

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #143504 by Stealthy Ninja

icepics wrote: I think Matthew aspires to be himself.

Nah I'm pretty sure he wants to be like Uncle Ken. :banana:
12 years 8 months ago #143569 by Olivia 12
Everyone can make a blog. Everyone has opinions. That is all Ken is. A person with his own opinion writing about camera equipment and photography based on his opinion. He states facts such as what brand the camera and lens is and the rest is opinion. But his opinion gets people in trouble. As newbies take his opinion to heart and try to learn photography. When they do start to understand photography, they soon find out Ken is not worth the time.

And I do believe some people try to be like Ken.

12 years 8 months ago #143578 by Baydream
Ken has some good info mixed with bad. I think his value is in entertainment value - and he is not alone. Education should come from a variety of sources just like everything else in life. The REAL learning is to get the variety of opinions and learn how to keep the best and discard the rest.

So, read his blog, and several others. It's always better to have more views to consider instead of being spoon fed by a single source.

Matthew has his opinions like everyone else. Some are spot on and some are off the wall. Respect that they are opinions and he is entitled to them just like Ken is. You can learn from both but always look for other sources and weigh the data. Don't be a "blind follower" of any one source or you could find that the view as you go off the cliff is spectacular but you won't enjoy it. :woohoo:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #143647 by KCook

Education should come from a variety of sources just like everything else in life.

Ideally, I would agree. Especially agree in the later phases of learning. But the multi source approach may not fit everybody in the very first phase, starting from zero. I try to steer newbies toward good sources, and the blogs do have a real appeal. As the better bloggers will at least be consistent and present a more light hearted style. Of course there are also good sites with multiple authors, but they end up with a piecemeal presentation. Leaving our newbie to try and pick his way through the pieces. Some newbies are Ok with that, but I think they are a minority.

Rockwell is off my radar. I never go there, or recommend that site. But I see no need to start a war with the guy or his fans either. It's nice to have choices.

mumbles

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #143649 by MLKstudios
Thank you Kelly. You nailed it! I couldn't agree more.

Step by step is the best. Then go off on your own, with a solid foundation beneath you. Else you'll spend decades learning what takes only a few months of structured teaching.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #143809 by icepics
John made a good point, whether you're new to something or not it's not the best idea to follow one person's blog or website blindly. I think some of it is that there is so much information out there compared to when some of us were starting out and we didn't have the internet. If I find a website that has information that seems helpful and makes sense I look at their links and one thing leads you to another.

Now it seems to be a matter of sifting thru a lot of crap to find what's worthwhile to learn from. If someone's new to photography they certainly have plenty of things to choose from, it wouldn't be good to only read one person's blog and only follow that. You can't really blame Ken Rockwell if people read him and nothing else, what a narrow view of photography that would be.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024