Ken Rockwell?

12 years 7 months ago #142140 by KZAM
Does this guy just test camera gear or is he an active photographer?

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #142146 by Monstell
I think he's an active photographer. I don't think paid photographer, but just someone who takes pictures.

12 years 7 months ago #142216 by Baydream
Check his web site. He is having a lot of fun and his galleries are worth viewing.
www.kenrockwell.com/about.htm

READ his ABOUT page. It is a fun article. People love and hate him but his is entitled to his opinions. You decide whether to visit or not. If you like him, go to the site, if not, avoid it. Let everyone form their own opinion lest your first stone breaks your own window.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #142219 by Henry Peach
I think he is pretty much earning his living blogging about photography. I don't believe he's ever worked as a professional photographer. I've heard he was an engineer, but I think the blog and related activities is all he is up to now. It seems to me he is both a photography enthusiast, he incorporates photography into his life and leisure time whenever possible, and a gear fanatic.

He's one of millions of other goof-ball, know-it-all, internet photographers writing about what they they know, but his blog has become more famous than most. I'm not a fan, but when I have visited his site I've found most of the information sound. I think his equipment reviews are as accurate or more so than the internet average. He obviously understands the traffic increasing value of controversy: there's no such thing as bad publicity. He's pushed a few sound bite opinions that have ticked off other popular photo-bloggers and gear fanatics, and so he's sort of the photo-blogger photographers love to hate.

He ticked off the guys over at Luminous Landscapes when he wrote an article about how the gear doesn't matter. Nothing he wrote was anything new, but I guess his web notoriety focused the accusations of heresy on KR. One thing I learned from that tussle was never tell the guy holding the $50K camera that the gear doesn't matter. ;)

Another thing he said that seemed to make some people mad was that tripods were obsolete because of the great high ISO quality of DSLRs. Many, many years ago he made folks angry when he said the 6mp APS-C sensor spelled the end of 35mm film. Last I checked he'd gone 180 with that one. Now he says 35mm film is superior to digital sensors. He was calling film "real raw". They're all like political sound bites: not worth much of anything in the real world, but guaranteed to get people riled up.
12 years 7 months ago #142227 by Baydream
and discussing.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #142229 by MLKstudios
I could do that!!

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #142237 by in3tro

Baydream wrote: Check his web site. He is having a lot of fun and his galleries are worth viewing.
www.kenrockwell.com/about.htm

READ his ABOUT page. It is a fun article. People love and hate him but his is entitled to his opinions. You decide whether to visit or not. If you like him, go to the site, if not, avoid it. Let everyone form their own opinion lest your first stone breaks your own window.

From the sounds of it, you like him?

12 years 7 months ago #142241 by Summertime

Henry Peach wrote: I think he is pretty much earning his living blogging about photography. I don't believe he's ever worked as a professional photographer. I've heard he was an engineer, but I think the blog and related activities is all he is up to now. It seems to me he is both a photography enthusiast, he incorporates photography into his life and leisure time whenever possible, and a gear fanatic.

He's one of millions of other goof-ball, know-it-all, internet photographers writing about what they they know, but his blog has become more famous than most. I'm not a fan, but when I have visited his site I've found most of the information sound. I think his equipment reviews are as accurate or more so than the internet average. He obviously understands the traffic increasing value of controversy: there's no such thing as bad publicity. He's pushed a few sound bite opinions that have ticked off other popular photo-bloggers and gear fanatics, and so he's sort of the photo-blogger photographers love to hate.

He ticked off the guys over at Luminous Landscapes when he wrote an article about how the gear doesn't matter. Nothing he wrote was anything new, but I guess his web notoriety focused the accusations of heresy on KR. One thing I learned from that tussle was never tell the guy holding the $50K camera that the gear doesn't matter. ;)

Another thing he said that seemed to make some people mad was that tripods were obsolete because of the great high ISO quality of DSLRs. Many, many years ago he made folks angry when he said the 6mp APS-C sensor spelled the end of 35mm film. Last I checked he'd gone 180 with that one. Now he says 35mm film is superior to digital sensors. He was calling film "real raw". They're all like political sound bites: not worth much of anything in the real world, but guaranteed to get people riled up.

I couldn't have said it any better. :judge:

12 years 7 months ago #142358 by icepics
Well his stuff isn't boring, that's for sure! I take much of what he says w/a grain of salt but he does seem to have a certain amount of knowledge and makes it entertaining. Not too long ago his site had a tour of Adorama, and maybe B&H? - I forget now... but besides the tour being fun to see, he did have some nice shots of NYC posted from his trip there, so he does have some ability.

Like w/many things, especially on the internet, you can't always go by any one source. I think it helps to read a variety of articles/websites to get an idea of what the consesus is or to find a resource that over time you find to be consistently reliable.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #142360 by MLKstudios
Angie's List! ++++++++

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #142474 by Scotty
What's already been said is accurate.

He's a really good landscape photographer with film.

It's honestly worth a look through the whole site. There is some good information on there, and some absolutely HORRIBLE information on there.

Very entertaining though.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #142540 by KCook
It's a wild and woolly blogosphere! If you just want to sample some photography blogs, here are links to some lists -

www.ilovephotoblogs.com/i-still-shoot-film

www.e-junkie.info/2011/07/collection-of-...otography-blogs.html

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #142690 by Joves
That is a good set of lists Kelly. With Rockwell you either hate or love him. There seems to be no middle ground.

12 years 7 months ago #142702 by KCook
Odd thing was that none of my searches turned up a good list including one of my personal favorites -

www.andymumford.co.uk

Oh well, Google givith and Google takith away ....

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago #142704 by MLKstudios
I'm neutral. No, really. I sometimes read what he writes, but I also take it for what it his. A person who makes a living posting his opinion, NOT always facts.

Of course there are hard facts included. An f/1.4 lens isn't said to be an f/1.3. He calls it an f/1.4.

The focal length, nearest distance and etc. are also facts.

The conclusion he makes are his opinions, and I read them that way. I don't always agree, nor disagree. He's just another soul earning a dollar off the web. His views don't really affect me one way or another.

That's all.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024