Mentoring groups vs internet interaction?

13 years 3 months ago #15306 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

bhowdy wrote: And by posting images on photo critic boards. Some of these boards are bland with people posting the same tired old comments over and over and over .... But there are some really nice folks that take the time to offer well thought out and thoughtful comments.

I agree. The old "this photo's great no matter what" stuff is basically useless. :)

Pretty much, tough love makes you learn the most.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #15353 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

bhowdy wrote: And by posting images on photo critic boards. Some of these boards are bland with people posting the same tired old comments over and over and over .... But there are some really nice folks that take the time to offer well thought out and thoughtful comments.

I agree. The old "this photo's great no matter what" stuff is basically useless. :)

A good spanking goes a long way. ;)
13 years 3 months ago #15360 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #15364 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

:whistle:
13 years 3 months ago #15603 by crystal

bhowdy wrote: I would have to go with internet first ....... Lots of good videos if you go searching. But I also have gained a good deal of knowledge for going out with another photographer. Photo groups just don't work for me. I do belong to a couple of groups but they are more for fun and the social aspect, not so much for the educational part.

I also learn tons by looking at other folks photos ... I study how they compose certain images ... what seems to work, what looks good, what looks unusual (important because unusual is not necessarily a bad thing) ....

And by posting images on photo critic boards. Some of these boards are bland with people posting the same tired old comments over and over and over .... But there are some really nice folks that take the time to offer well thought out and thoughtful comments.

I agree. I belong to a photo group, but it's not about learning. Actually there is no "teaching" each other it's more about fun, like you said.. social aspect.
13 years 3 months ago #15604 by crystal

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

I agree. It doesn't do any good. One does not learn from "Nice photo".

I know someone who can not take a good CC and learn from it. She whines that people are picking on her.
13 years 3 months ago #15605 by crystal

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Oh baby. :ohmy: :whistle:
13 years 3 months ago #15678 by Scotty

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #16654 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

:S
13 years 3 months ago #17209 by dotell
Personally, there's nothing I find more satisfying than finding a mentor or friend who can help guide me in whatever I am pursuing. The internet and e-publications do help, I agree, and yes, I enjoy websites like this one, too, but for me, the one-on-one, personal approach to learning works best.

Give me a 3 or 4 day retreat with other like-minded photographers who believe in sharing their knowledge and experiences.

13 years 3 months ago #17216 by Stealthy Ninja

dotell wrote: Personally, there's nothing I find more satisfying than finding a mentor or friend who can help guide me in whatever I am pursuing. The internet and e-publications do help, I agree, and yes, I enjoy websites like this one, too, but for me, the one-on-one, personal approach to learning works best.

Give me a 3 or 4 day retreat with other like-minded photographers who believe in sharing their knowledge and experiences.

Real life scares me. :dry:
13 years 3 months ago #17221 by johnm
Perhaps my age is showing a bit, but I find online classes difficult. So I'll come down on the side of personal mentoring on this question.

In my early days, I worked for a big shot photographer in NYC, along with 2 other assistants. The 3 of us would get together after work and talk about how our boss worked - his techniques and tricks. We'd challenge each other to be better as we developed our own style.

13 years 3 months ago #17237 by Baydream
The photo clubs I belong to have both been a great help. The larger one (in the States) has "evaluation"nights every other month where a pro photog gives honest critiques of several of our photos. The brutal honesty has made me a better photographer. The small club in Canada has an annual photo contest where it is "open judging" much like the evals down here. A thick skin and an open mind is your best friend.
That said, I also learn a lot from the "net". Shooting with others in the clubs lets me observe new (to me) ways to shoot and we teach each other, and have fun. There are several professional photographers in each club so we get good material.

Ding. Ding. The answer is both. :P

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #17249 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote: The photo clubs I belong to have both been a great help. The larger one (in the States) has "evaluation"nights every other month where a pro photog gives honest critiques of several of our photos. The brutal honesty has made me a better photographer. The small club in Canada has an annual photo contest where it is "open judging" much like the evals down here. A thick skin and an open mind is your best friend.
That said, I also learn a lot from the "net". Shooting with others in the clubs lets me observe new (to me) ways to shoot and we teach each other, and have fun. There are several professional photographers in each club so we get good material.

RUN FOR CONGRESS!!!11 :woohoo:
13 years 3 months ago #17259 by Baydream

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Baydream wrote: The photo clubs I belong to have both been a great help. The larger one (in the States) has "evaluation"nights every other month where a pro photog gives honest critiques of several of our photos. The brutal honesty has made me a better photographer. The small club in Canada has an annual photo contest where it is "open judging" much like the evals down here. A thick skin and an open mind is your best friend.

RUN FOR CONGRESS!!!11 :woohoo:

Too honest (and I hope too smart). Mark Twain said it best.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except Congress." and
"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024