Photographers justified rule breakers and above everyone else?

12 years 7 months ago #146944 by Richard K Photography
Every Sunday there are a few photographers from my community who meet up for coffee and just talk photography or what ever comes to mind.

This morning we had a good discussion that came up about photographers and how we tend to push the envelope of right and "I didn't know I wasn't suppose to be here" :rofl: or "I didn't know I couldn't do that".

We all know photographers will step over that "line" if it means to get a better shot. I have been to parks, zoo's, piers where they have signs posted not to feed animals or birds and yet you will always find photographers feeding them to get the shot the need.

Do you think photographers are just programmed to break rules because we have a camera? Or that we are above everyone else that certain laws don't apply to us? I know I'm guilty of a few of these. Our discussion this morning was more along the lines of ethics and funny how certain things like a camera in hand transforms people into rule breakers. Perhaps not everyone, but some. :whistle:

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: joanef
12 years 7 months ago #146969 by effron
Yeah, maybe its just the fact I'm toting a heavy combo that cost me four thousand, and I hate peeps telling me I can't use it "here"...........:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #146988 by Onlydebster
I have been known to trespass on occassion. :) I wouldn't feed animals in a zoo because I know the rules are there to protect the wellbeing of the animal. However, if I am just taking pictures and not harming a place or person or animal by being there, I might disregard a "no trespassing" sign or two. :)

12 years 7 months ago #147012 by chasrich
Welcome Deb... I'm glad to see you posting.

I've always been one for breaking rules. No criminal record yet but I have been know to leave the sidewalk to get a better vantage. I do try to follow the rule leave only footprints and do no other harm. I think burning someones home to get a better light on their Christmas decorations might be too far... :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago #147015 by effron

chasrich wrote: Welcome Deb... I'm glad to see you posting.

I've always been one for breaking rules. No criminal record yet but I have been know to leave the sidewalk to get a better vantage. I do try to follow the rule leave only footprints and do no other harm. I think burning someones home to get a better light on their Christmas decorations might be too far... :rofl:

Depends on who's home.......:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: chasrich
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #147022 by Scotty
A camera gives you a heightened sense of curiousity.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #147027 by MLKstudios
Nothing to add here, as I think it's well covered above.

But I do want to applaud your group for talking about the "ethics" of our trade. It's something many ignore and leads to a lack of respect for what we do.

Getting together to raise your photography to a higher level is always a good thing.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #147032 by The Time Capturer
I don't think this is a photographer-specific issue. We are like anyone else that sees what needs to be done to get the advantage over someone else. However, the rules we bend are not as frowned upon as others. For example, a hunter may illegally feed deer to lure them into the open to get that perfect "shot." Whereas, I may hop a fence to get the same "shot." I am notorious for trespassing during my search for unknown plants and critters and I believe photographers do get away with more than the average person. Sometimes I will trespass just to explore and if I take my camera with me, it justifies it in my mind. If people see a camera in my hand, they know why I'm trespassing and I don't pose any threat to their land, therefore avoiding and confrontations. This works with the police as well ... I've proven that. Only once was I questioned by police, but that's because the area I was in was notorious for people secretly growing marijuana ... unknown to me at the time.

Bottom line: I believe that all of us tend to break the rules, but because we are photographers, I think people are more accepting and forgiving of us.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 7 months ago #147072 by Zafonia
I broke the No Tresspassing rule once, ended up with a redneck deerhunter pointing a gun in my face.... So I always ask permission or I dont go.
12 years 7 months ago #147096 by Katahdin
As a photographer/reporter for a local newspaper, I was once tossed out of a Little League baseball game. I had been following that circuit so as to write articles of local interest and to get the best shots of players and the game. My camera didn't have a real long lens, so i would position myself behind the backstop. The trouble with that was that I would have part of the chain link fence framing the photograph, which isn't always bad, but doesn't always give you the desired angle and perspective for action shots. Very early in the game the umpire threw me out of the game as he didn't want me going beyond the backstop, even if it was just the camera trying to get the shot. By-the-way,a it's the only time that I have ever been thrown out of a game!

12 years 7 months ago #147250 by C4rl
I don't think it's only "photographers". I think it's people in general. Everyone is willing to break the rules to get the picture they want. I just think us photographers only see and hear of other photographers breaking the rules.

12 years 7 months ago #147343 by Kid Prodigy
Photographers are born rebels :rofl:

Canon EOS 7D|Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM |
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM |
(2) Canon Speedlite 480EX II

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #147345 by butterflygirl921
:agree: :P i know i have broken a few rules to get the perfect shot but never illegal stuff.....any way its fun to break rules lol they are more like guidelines :banana: :P :P :rofl:

12 years 5 months ago #167400 by goldminer
I really like taking shots of interesting archtecture and now more authorities get nervous, but usually when I explain I am not 'Casing" the joint, they are happy to have me get the best capture of their buildings as possible. Why not. Million of $ were spent to build these structures and they want to show them off. Of course I will ask permission before shooting a private home.With nature shots...Forgettaboutit!!Going to hunt for wherever for unigue shots.

12 years 5 months ago #167509 by Mike Shields
Only today I travelled to the site of an old ship that has been left to rot hoping to get a few photos, when I arrived I found the place deserted and surrounded with razor wire and lots of home made signs stating that the area is "private property" and "Trespassers will be prosecuted". After a look around I decided that if I could access the site I wouldn't be doing any harm so I found a way through and captured some good photos. Job done, No harm done...

If at first you don't succeed... Avoid Skydiving!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024