Downtown Crossing ‘Street Photographers’ Crossing The Line?

12 years 7 months ago #153879 by Stealthy Ninja
What I see in the linked video is clever editing designed to make them look bad.
12 years 7 months ago #153897 by chasrich

Stealthy Ninja wrote: What I see in the linked video is clever editing designed to make them look bad.

You mean the media spins things? Dang Sherlock... :unsure:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago #154008 by Dragonflies
That is just wrong. Those people aren't photographers, just perverts with cameras.

12 years 6 months ago #161998 by kukikid
Hi. I am from the area where these guys are everyday. I am known very well among these guys,because I have been very observant of them and quite vocal. I know that they are not true street photographers. I have seen them aim their cameras primarily at females,including minors. I have seen them take shots of their behinds and chests as well as full-body shots. For a while,John Mac( the elderly man) was using a video camera; this was during the summer months. They are out there daily,pretty much on a schedule. At lunch time,John Mac is in Chinatown. John is in the Downtown Crossing area later in the afternoon. Joe Gallo and Bob are out there along with John later in the day; they spread out,but also group together. There is a heavy set man in the group,too. There are mainly 4 of them,but they recruit others. John proudly showed off his video images to a friend of mine; they were close-ups of breasts,etc. . A friend of mine observed John photograph a woman's behind as she walked in front of him. John is the worst of them,but the others are bad,too. Bob is sneaky,but I witnessed him aggressively photograph a group of teenage Chinese girls; he was asked to stop by their adult guide,but continued. Joe Gallo is the punk of the group. He has taunted me when with the group,but has no balls when alone. Look them up online,you'll mostly find nothing of these guys. John posted photos a long time ago,but nothing current or recent. With all the pictures they take,it's amazing that they have nothing to really show. Random galleries and old uploads? Where are all these photos from this group going? There are candid sites that host candid pictures of females,but for a fee to those wishing to view and download them. Look up candidstreet.com for example. Don't be fooled or feel bad for these guys.....they are not street photographers. Street photography is wonderful,but these guys spit in the face of it.

12 years 6 months ago #162016 by Scotty

kukikid wrote: Hi. I am from the area where these guys are everyday. I am known very well among these guys,because I have been very observant of them and quite vocal. I know that they are not true street photographers. I have seen them aim their cameras primarily at females,including minors. I have seen them take shots of their behinds and chests as well as full-body shots. For a while,John Mac( the elderly man) was using a video camera; this was during the summer months. They are out there daily,pretty much on a schedule. At lunch time,John Mac is in Chinatown. John is in the Downtown Crossing area later in the afternoon. Joe Gallo and Bob are out there along with John later in the day; they spread out,but also group together. There is a heavy set man in the group,too. There are mainly 4 of them,but they recruit others. John proudly showed off his video images to a friend of mine; they were close-ups of breasts,etc. . A friend of mine observed John photograph a woman's behind as she walked in front of him. John is the worst of them,but the others are bad,too. Bob is sneaky,but I witnessed him aggressively photograph a group of teenage Chinese girls; he was asked to stop by their adult guide,but continued. Joe Gallo is the punk of the group. He has taunted me when with the group,but has no balls when alone. Look them up online,you'll mostly find nothing of these guys. John posted photos a long time ago,but nothing current or recent. With all the pictures they take,it's amazing that they have nothing to really show. Random galleries and old uploads? Where are all these photos from this group going? There are candid sites that host candid pictures of females,but for a fee to those wishing to view and download them. Look up candidstreet.com for example. Don't be fooled or feel bad for these guys.....they are not street photographers. Street photography is wonderful,but these guys spit in the face of it.

If you have proof, i'd love to see it. Otherwise this is spreading rumors and hearsay about other people.

You want to be careful about this type of thing, because we don't support headhunting professionals or other artists on this forum.

Also, the enter/return button is your friend.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #162089 by Stealthy Ninja
Yes show some proof.
12 years 6 months ago #162188 by Arkangel7x3
You see I don't get it when you take photos of a model you have to have a singed paper by them giving you permission to have pictures of them used in either your portfolio or other projects. So how is it I can go straight up and photo someone's body in a leud or unleud way way and they have no legal right to tell me to destroy the pic?

"If it's to good to be true best to shoot it again"
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #162371 by Stealthy Ninja

Arkangel7x3 wrote: You see I don't get it when you take photos of a model you have to have a singed paper by them giving you permission to have pictures of them used in either your portfolio or other projects. So how is it I can go straight up and photo someone's body in a leud or unleud way way and they have no legal right to tell me to destroy the pic?

1. Public location
2. depends on local laws
3. depends on how you're using it.

I think saying (sic) "leud or unleud way" (spelling is "lewd" btw) is the key though. If you take pictures up a girls skirt/dress or down their tops then it's different to even taking pictures of their legs or (clothed) buttocks/breasts etc. proving intent with the latter is a messy business.

BTW they do have the legal right in the U.S. to tell you to destroy the pic. You guys have freedom of speech written in your constitution that give people the right to tell you anything. You don't have the legal obligation (I assume) to destroy the picture however. ;)

BTW I have no idea if these guys are actually "bad" the video doesn't prove that to me as I can see through tabloid journalism. The post above decrying them proves nothing to me other than one person's opinion. For all I know the guy above is harassing genuine street photographers without reason because he/she feels offended somehow.

My main point in all this is the news journalists in this case were using blatant tabloid style manipulative language and editing to make people look bad. AKA their jobs.

LOL
12 years 6 months ago #162703 by Arkangel7x3

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Arkangel7x3 wrote: You see I don't get it when you take photos of a model you have to have a singed paper by them giving you permission to have pictures of them used in either your portfolio or other projects. So how is it I can go straight up and photo someone's body in a leud or unleud way way and they have no legal right to tell me to destroy the pic?

1. Public location
2. depends on local laws
3. depends on how you're using it.

I think saying (sic) "leud or unleud way" (spelling is "lewd" btw) is the key though. If you take pictures up a girls skirt/dress or down their tops then it's different to even taking pictures of their legs or (clothed) buttocks/breasts etc. proving intent with the latter is a messy business.

BTW they do have the legal right in the U.S. to tell you to destroy the pic. You guys have freedom of speech written in your constitution that give people the right to tell you anything. You don't have the legal obligation (I assume) to destroy the picture however. ;)

BTW I have no idea if these guys are actually "bad" the video doesn't prove that to me as I can see through tabloid journalism. The post above decrying them proves nothing to me other than one person's opinion. For all I know the guy above is harassing genuine street photographers without reason because he/she feels offended somehow.

My main point in all this is the news journalists in this case were using blatant tabloid style manipulative language and editing to make people look bad. AKA their jobs.

LOL

tu shay

"If it's to good to be true best to shoot it again"
12 years 6 months ago #162792 by icepics
I haven't found any follow-up to the situation in Boston. What I found disturbing in the video was the photographer who can be seen walking up behind a group of women, he bends at the waist halfway down and takes a picture. I tried taking a picture from that angle with a chair as a subject, I could get the back or legs/rungs of the chair (altho I was guessing at the distance). The photographers when interviewed seem uncomfortable and evasive; that behavior indicates they're not being forthright about what they're doing.

From what I've read people do have a reasonable expectation of privacy in public, which refers more to a public restroom, locker room etc. I would think it would be a reasonable expectation for a woman to be in public w/out someone photographing part of her body w/out her consent. I did find info. related to subjects like 'up-skirt' photography but decided not to post the link as it deals w/sexual harassment issues that may not be appropriate on a family friendly website. (It's from EPIC, the Electronic Privacy Information Center which is a research center in DC.)

It doesn't seem like there's a law to cover this, but this situation might be the type that will prompt a new law eventually.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024