Downtown Crossing ‘Street Photographers’ Crossing The Line?

12 years 6 months ago #152046 by Steven Swanson
These photographers have some serious issues. How can they not know what they are doing is awfully wrong??

What the video: boston.cbslocal.com/2011/04/15/downtown-...s-crossing-the-line/

12 years 6 months ago #152048 by Travel Nut
:blink: Those photographers give the industry a bad name.

12 years 6 months ago #152050 by Kitzmiller
Way over the line :owned:

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #152063 by ClickAPic
Someone should find out what they are doing with the pictures! Where exactly and in what way do they use the pictures.
12 years 6 months ago #152070 by Monti Leehsu

ClickAPic wrote: Someone should find out what they are doing with the pictures! Where exactly and in what way do they use the pictures.

:agree: how embarrassing, this is how stereotypes get started!

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #152131 by effron

Travel Nut wrote: :blink: Those photographers give the industry a bad name.

They give humanity a bad name........:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #152163 by Baydream
Sounds like a Public Service event for the Hell's Angels.
And get the public to ID these guys and publish their names and addresses.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #152165 by Dori
Watching that clip I would say they are over the line, but maybe not so much??
Found THIS in the comment section.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 6 months ago #152166 by chasrich
I'm thinking of taking the photographers side on this one... Here is why - I was at Sea World's new water park called Aquatica. People are all over wearing bathing attire, young beautiful women and little children playing and cavorting around. What a stimulating environment for a photographer like myself. Armed with a waterproof point and shoot we (Sherrie and I) spent a lot of time around the kiddie area. We are trying to sell our son on getting a seasons pass that includes the water park. Our grandkids would really like it and we would love to spend the extra time with them.

Security came up to me and asked that I use some caution with the camera. Someone was worried about me taking their child's photo. I discussed it with the two uniforms who gathered in my name and the fact that I was a season pass holder. I was open and courteous with them and I'm sure they were confident that I was no threat to their other customers. This example of someone going overboard in their assumptions and paranoia illustrates to me that our rights to take photographs in public might easily be curtailed.

Now, I'm not defending all of those street photographers as there might be a bad apple in the bunch but I certainly don't want to visit Boston in the future and have my camera either banned or confiscated.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #152169 by Dori
Your reaction compared to theirs is part of the problem. They were unsure and hesitant, you were not.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 6 months ago #152178 by digital files
I'm all for photographing any subject, but there is a point in respecting the subject you are photographing. They cross the line.

12 years 6 months ago #152180 by crystal
If this would happen to me, I would so bitch slap that photographer. It's one thing to take photos, it's another thing to be a perv. Oh wait, I gotta a better one, they hate their pictures taken....I'll take pictures right back ... see how they like it. :rofl:
12 years 6 months ago #152182 by Henry Peach
The subject matter and in your face attitude is absolutely nothing new. You can find thousands of photos of women and children among the works of the masters (some links I found in seconds below). Sometimes they are of portions of their bodies or revealing.

What is new is the sheer number of photographers. I think we are seeing a backlash against it. Yesterday I attended our local Zombie Walk with my family. A bunch of folks dress up as zombies and invade downtown like a Halloween parade on the sidewalk. Food and money are gathered for local charities, etc... It's all just silly fun. Of course I brought a camera, but we (my kids, wife, and I) got dressed up as zombies to participate. There ended up being over 800 zombies. The crazy thing is that there had to be almost that many photographers (very few of which were participants). I mean folks with DSLRs, not just cell phone cams. Some had studio lighting set up on the sidewalks. It was crazy, and somewhat annoying. I mean the zombies wanted to be photographed, but there were hundreds of photographers. For the first time in my life I found myself wondering if there were too many photographers. It left me uneasy wondering if people ever considered me annoying or troublesome when I was wandering around with my camera. I think today I will dig out my sketch books, and try to do something else for a while.

www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP=XSpecific...X4&nm=Bruce%20Gilden

www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=ViewBox_...4QNJD&PN=42&CT=Album

www.albertina.at/jart/prj3/albertina/mai...ges_id=1216730388492

www.iphotocentral.com/search/detail.php/...r-Bresson/20/11419/1

vi.sualize.us/view/jessefulton/4bef57584...fbbe019405b8ae11d65/
12 years 6 months ago #152187 by mj~shutterbugg
I want to take the photographers side, really I do- but they we're acting cowardly and that raised a red flag with me. If you are a legit photographer doing street photography, wouldn't you WANT exposure so you could promote your work? If that were me- I would be handing out business cards saying check my stuff out- see what I can do! They were hiding asking them to turn the camera off and acted really funny when confronted by a news crew. These camera operators had zooms, there was zero need to go up for a macro between some person's legs. The public is highly bothered by them, and while it is legal it isn't nice.

I think in Charles' case he was forthright and honest. When confronted he stated his intentions and was left alone. As a mother of 2 small children and having had contact with less than savory photographers I would have inquired as well. My FIL is a sexual offender and well I know what he did and it makes me question others intentions towards my children and why they are photographing them.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 6 months ago #152205 by Henry Peach
I do think it's somewhat cowardly not wanting to be photographed/recorded, but I run into that among photographers all the time. I'm not often thrilled by the way I look in photos and vids, but I figure it's my karmic debt to allow people to photograph me.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024