Point and shoot camera's

12 years 7 months ago #152695 by CatherineW
I need a new point and shoot camera. I shoot with a Nikon 300 and started looking at the Nikon P&S's but didn't see what I liked. Now Canon and Sony have some really nice options. I'm leaning towards that direction. I'm just curious how many of you have different brands for your P&S? Does it ever slow down your work flow being a completely different software on your computer?

What P&S do you have?

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #152748 by MLKstudios
Olympus and Lumix (Panasonic) are making really good pocket cameras.

Editing is the same. No slow down.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #152754 by Shadowfixer1
I have a Panasonic TZ-3. It takes a very good picture but I will NEVER buy another point and shoot without a viewfinder. You can't see anything in the bright sun. A camera without a viewfinder in the sun should be called a point and hope. Good luck in your search.
12 years 7 months ago #152761 by geoffellis
I swear by the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 - Should definately give it a once over.

As for workflow... i dont have much of one lol. I organize my photos on disk by Year then by specific dates. The nikon and the panasonic have different naming conventions so there is no naming conflicts ever. the editor i primarily use is GIMP, editing jpeg files so dealing with raw isnt much of an issue yet (although i do keep the raw files)
12 years 7 months ago #152762 by MLKstudios

Shadowfixer1 wrote: ... A camera without a viewfinder in the sun should be called a point and hope.

That's how many use their DSLR's with a viewfinder. ;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #152765 by geoffellis

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I will NEVER buy another point and shoot without a viewfinder. You can't see anything in the bright sun.

There are options? www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1017 for starters, as well as various other attachable "hoods" ive seen
12 years 7 months ago #152915 by rob vorderman
Check this out; Go to Olympus cameras under Camera Manufactures- by brand.

Camera Review: Olympus E-P3 Pen

Rob.

12 years 7 months ago #152918 by Number 7
Nikon 8100 :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #152956 by Baydream
I shoot Canon DSLRs and Panasonic P&S. When purchase time came, I did a careful comparison of the brands and models. My criteria included image quality, zoom capacity and shutter lag. My first P&S was an Agfa 2mp (in 2000), then a fine Fuji but lately Panasonic has come out on top.
The camera brand does not affect my workflow at all.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #153047 by rmeyer7
I'm a big fan of Panasonic's Lumix P&S cameras. The LX series produce great images. I had an older model, the FZ-7, it was a great camera.

IMO what sets them apart is having one of the best image stabilization systems in any P&S, and lenses made by Leica.

12 years 7 months ago #153057 by MKRHamden
I am no expert and I don't know all of the technology or terms. But, I have a Canon S3is. I like to shoot pictures at concerts and most of the artists who allow cameras don't allow anything with detachable lenses, so I got the Canon. I have liked it pretty much.

But I'd suggest going to dpreview.com and checking the forum and review there. There is a lot of great information from people who are actually using the products and the site is like consumer reports it's not sponsored by any specific brand so you get a good idea of what the cameras are really like.

:)
Meri

12 years 7 months ago #153058 by chasrich
Olympus Point and Shoot, Canon DSLR.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago #153184 by Henry Peach
I shoot with Canon DSLRs and recently started shooting with a Sony NEX-3 for my compact camera. There are a few things that I wish Sony did like Canon, but Canon doesn't offer a compact camera with the main features I wanted. It took some getting used to, but a few months in I'm used to the Sony. The only difference in my processing workflow is that I have to run the Sony raw files through Adobe DNG converter before opening in Adobe Camera Raw (CS4).
12 years 7 months ago #153187 by MLKstudios
HP, get Lr and convert in import. Makes it easier. :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #153191 by Henry Peach

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I have a Panasonic TZ-3. It takes a very good picture but I will NEVER buy another point and shoot without a viewfinder. You can't see anything in the bright sun. A camera without a viewfinder in the sun should be called a point and hope. Good luck in your search.

My Sony NEX-3 has a "sunny weather" LCD brightness setting that rocks! I can see the LCD clearly at arms length looking into the sun. I can see everything wearing sunglasses. All previous compact cameras I've used have had hard to see rear screens, but Sony has solved that problem, IMO. I'm sure everyone else will soon follow if they aren't already. I enjoy shooting it like a waist level finder.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024