Would I need permission for doing something like this?

12 years 6 months ago #156877 by Janos
I would like to do a couple sessions at a park here in San Diego, actually what I'm doing is building my portfolio from a few models that I found on Craigslist. So I'm going to bring some props and back ground stands. It's a state park, would anyone know if I need to get permission from the city for this? Or would I be in the clear?

Janos

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156909 by Oscar Cohen
I would guess as long as you aren't interrupting anyone you should be OK there.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156951 by chasrich
Since you are investing in models and props I would call the park rangers and ask them what restrictions there are (if any) or permits required. I'd also play it low key that you are shooting in and about the park. I can't imagine there is a problem but that insurance of saying "I spoke with the chief ranger Mr. Smith about this" would be worth the effort.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #156953 by Baydream
Many Stets, like federal parks require a permit to conduct business in a park. Check with the State authority. Try their web site, otherwise contact them directly.
This is a commercial function and has different rules.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #156955 by Henry Peach
I'm sure there are park rules available somewhere. Look for the park website or that of the department in charge of the park. Many public places, particularly in more densely populated areas, do have regulations and sometimes require permits and fees for professional photography. Even though you are not making money directly from the photos it is a professional shoot as you are using them to promote your business. I've seen regulations that state you need a permit if you are using tripods, light stands, etc... even if the shoot is 100% amateur and is being done purely for personal reasons. Check first to avoid a ticket at least, and confiscated equipment at worst.
12 years 6 months ago #156960 by boriqua latina
Its a good question u asked....janos I worked in state park for seven years in New York and it was by law to ask permission for whatever activity u do there...in the park there should be a office building, speak to the director...the park rangers are always around and their duty is to protect the park and oversee what's happening....its better to be safe...

12 years 6 months ago #156998 by Sawyer

Henry Peach wrote: I'm sure there are park rules available somewhere. Look for the park website or that of the department in charge of the park. Many public places, particularly in more densely populated areas, do have regulations and sometimes require permits and fees for professional photography. Even though you are not making money directly from the photos it is a professional shoot as you are using them to promote your business. I've seen regulations that state you need a permit if you are using tripods, light stands, etc... even if the shoot is 100% amateur and is being done purely for personal reasons. Check first to avoid a ticket at least, and confiscated equipment at worst.

:agree: most will have a website you can check with

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #157004 by Be Mine 4ever
If you were just posing models, I think it would be fine to just shoot, but since you are bringing props, lights etc.. you may need permission...at least verbal permission from the park office. Go to the park office and ask about it. Rather be safe, then sorry. It would suck for a ranger to come up to you, question you, give you a ticket in front of the models. It would be very unprofessional.

12 years 6 months ago #157102 by Jim Photo
I've used public parks many times, it depends on the park and if you are interupting or making a scene of things. I have never been asked to leave or get any sort of permits.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158632 by I shoot RAW
Knowing me I would just go there and shoot, if I get a warning then deal with it. From my experience as long as you aren't bringing in trucks of equipment and are out of the way. You'll be fine.

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158739 by Joves
Without the props no, with the props you will most likely need permission.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024