Do you see photography as a good career option these days?

12 years 5 months ago #172251 by Photobrad
Hi Photographytalk.com! I just signed up this morning from San Jose, CA. Let me first say I'm a fan of this site! So I'm a college student majoring in business management for the last few years. I get good grades and enjoy it. But I love photography. Actually I've been playing around with photography since I started school.

I would love to make a living with my camera, but wondering how realistic is that (with the assumption that someday I'll be a great photographer)? Times are different, 15 years ago cameras were much more expensive which meant less people owning them and making a living from their camera. These days camera manufactures have made it so that anyone can afford a really good camera, capable of taking excellent photos in the right hands. As result of that, more photographers are now trying to make a living with their camera. Driving down demand for photographers. Simple business 101.

Do you think the future for professional photographers will be overcome with freelancers biding per job sort of scenario?

12 years 5 months ago #172254 by senmar
There will still be a need for professional photographers, but yes I do see freelance will be more common. However, I don't advice you to quit your education and go for the door of photography. Continue the path you are on now, get your career job and use photography as a hobby, and at some point you can turn that hobby into a couple paying gigs on the weekend.

You didn't say what kind of photography you like to shoot. Weddings and portraits is what brings in the money (to drop your career job and work photography full time). But first thing is first, you need to learn the craft, then you need to gain clients and that will take time.

12 years 5 months ago #172259 by photobod
:welcomeclan :welcomeclan :welcomeclan to PT hope you enjoy your stay, if you believe in your self then you can turn any thing you want to into a profession.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 5 months ago #172282 by Photobrad
Thanks for the feedback. My parents would kill me if I dropped out of school! I wanted to get the general opinion of others about what they saw as the future of photography careers.

12 years 5 months ago #172313 by icepics
Your comments sound pretty realistic. If your work stands out and is exceptional, I think it's more likely you'd be successful. Seems like it's more a sideline than a full-time job for most people, although if you find the right opportunity and are good enough at it who knows what might be possible.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #172332 by Photobrad

icepics wrote: Your comments sound pretty realistic. If your work stands out and is exceptional, I think it's more likely you'd be successful. Seems like it's more a sideline than a full-time job for most people, although if you find the right opportunity and are good enough at it who knows what might be possible.

Encouraging words :thumbsup:

12 years 5 months ago #172338 by John37
I don't think we need to worry about the dreamers too much. I would imagine that it's just like the music biz. Companies have created the same sort of high quality-low cost gear capable of making some fantastic recordings. But Virgin Records will not be bidding out to some garage recording junky to record their next big sensation.
I agree that many people will buy these new cameras with some sort of 'return on the investment' expectation, driven by aspirations of being a pro photagrapher. But many will simply lose interest after a while, sell their camera, and give up after seeing truly how much work is involved in the process. New cameras can take high rez photos of things. But that doesn't make the person taking the photo a great, or even a good photographer.
What does "making a living mean" these days anyways? Is $35,000 a year making a living? There are so many different ideas of what being successful is. For some, simply staying solvent is success!
Just my two cents.

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
12 years 5 months ago #172405 by Alex
Depends on how good you are, motivated you are and these three:

1. Desire
2. Willing
3. Teachable

You need to have just enough of each of those, factor in "drive" you can do just about anything you set your mind to.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #172436 by Baydream

Alex wrote: Depends on how good you are, motivated you are and these three:

1. Desire
2. Willing
3. Teachable

You need to have just enough of each of those, factor in "drive" you can do just about anything you set your mind to.

:agree: And be careful that photography does not become WORK. I had an employee in IT who quit her job, when back to school (U of Missouri photojournalism) and followed that dream. I'm sure she makes far less than if she had stayed in IT but I'll bet she is so much happier. My wife did the same, going from IT into social work. Her final salary when she retired (after a Bachelors and Masters and a number of years experience) was about the same as when she left IT - but she was so much happier in what she chose, and the world is a better place because of it.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #172454 by Stanly

1. Desire
2. Willing
3. Teachable

:goodpost:

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #172472 by Mayo
If you got it, why not go for it :beerbang:

Canon 5D - Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4L
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #172477 by butterflygirl921
:welcomeclan I hope you enjoy it here. As for photography being a career of course you can make it. You just have to believe in yourself and your work. Let your photographs speak for themselves and any clients you get will hire you for your work. It is hard work starting out (right now i am starting out), but I believe once you start out the hard part is over. Just work hard for it and never give up.

12 years 5 months ago #172505 by lit-photography08

1. Desire
2. Willing
3. Teachable

:agree:
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #172509 by Scotty

1. Desire
2. Willing
3. Teachable

Drive will take you to places you never imagined.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #172513 by Rob pix4u2
I agree that you never know where the road will lead as long as you keep working at it and you can be successful. I worked many years in a profession that i loved before it disabled me and I'm glad to have had photography to fall back into as the road led me in another direction. You CAN do it if you take the time to learn the skills and the knowledge required for the job.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024