who owns the pictures?

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #174769 by messyjessy8
If you take pictures with someone else's camera, according to copyright laws, who own the pictures??

12 years 5 months ago #174778 by Saywhat11
I would say, you owned the pictures, because you took them, but I really do not know for sure.

12 years 5 months ago #174784 by butterflygirl921
That's a hard question. I wouldn't know who owns the photo i would say it's you since you took the photo.

12 years 5 months ago #174807 by messyjessy8
That is what I am thinking, but part of me also thinks...the camera belongs to the other person, so they own the copyrights. Like I can see it both ways.

12 years 5 months ago #174853 by icepics
Try looking up copyright info. on professional photographer association's websites, like ASMP. They have some resources just for members but have some available to the public.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #174855 by effron
What did you agree on? I used to do concert and event photography for a pro who overbooked much work, which was good for me. We had an agreement, his gear or mine (his was better, but not always available) the film was supplied and ALL photos belonged to him. I got press/photographer passes, and was paid for the work, so it was a good deal. I believe, unless otherwise stated, the photos belong to the camera owner.......:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #174961 by steveheap
I'm 99% sure that you own the rights to the image - you took it. There is a case floating about where a nature photographer let a monkey hold his camera and it took a picture of itself. There were a lot of comments that the monkey actually owned the copyright and the photographer was not really able to license the image!

Of course it was all a bit tongue in cheek, but it explained some of the issues involved.

At the end of the day, the image is an artistic rendition of a subject, and you chose the subject and the way it would be taken, and so you have the copyright.

Now if the camera was on a tripod and the whole picture was set up by the owner of the camera and he/she framed the picture, and you just pushed the shutter release, then I think that would be the 1% uncertainty in my answer!

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 5 months ago #174962 by steveheap
Here is the link to the monkey story :

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 5 months ago #174983 by geoffellis
Would a painter own the copyright if he used someone else's brushes to paint?

Would a woodworker own the copyright if he used someone else's knives to carve?

Would a sculptor own the copyright if he used someone else's chisels to sculpt?

Would a graphic artist own the copyright if he used someone else's computer to draw?

Would a musician own the copyright if he used someone else's guitar to compose?

Im sure i could go on... but i bet you get the picture. I find it difficult to believe anyone would answer no to the above questions... so

Would a photographer own the copyright if he used someone else's camera to take a picture

becomes quite a simple question to answer. it has nothing to do with who bought the equipment. Its about who created the art. its a completely separate matter though if there was a written agreement to provide a service for a sponsor who provided the equipment though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Trent photography
12 years 5 months ago #174985 by Dori
:goodpost:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #175000 by orion
This is a good subject because i dont know either and this is the reason why -

I used to work as a photographer for the Fire Service in the UK. The Fire Service provided all the equipment and film. WE, the photographers had to compose the pictures, see the horrible sites, set equipment up and press the shutter. But at the end of the day I was told that the photos belonged to the Fire Service. Even tho I took the photos. The Fire Service STILL use the photos I took.

12 years 5 months ago #175003 by geoffellis

orion wrote: This is a good subject because i dont know and this is the reason why -

I used to work as a photographer for the Fire Service in the UK. The Fire Service provided all the equipment and film. WE, the photographers had to compose the pictures, see the horrible sites, set equipment up and press the shutter. But at the end of the day I was told that the photos belonged to the Fire Service. Even tho I took the photos. The Fire Service STILL use the photos I took.

The key to that statement is "work as a photographer". As in you were paid to provide the service. Now i dont know the specifics of UK law... but most commonwealth countries have similar laws that are derivative of uk/british "common" law. And the laws im familar with generally state employed photographers do not own the copyright, their employer does. this is not the same as if you were working as a freelancer/contractor.... But the context of your post makes it seem like you were an employee, not a freelancer. As such, you would not own the copyright.
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #175006 by Gary Trent photography
You do .... no questions.
If someone else takes pix on your equipment the THEY own it.
There are many sites to look into.
Just Google "copyright"

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 5 months ago #175009 by Gary Trent photography
Say if you rented a fish-eye lens from a store and took the world's greatest
photo with it and made a million $$$; would the store owner have a right
to that image and want YOUR credit for it?
No.
YOU took the image and IT belongs to YOU !
(now you might be polite & pay extra rent for using his lens ... lol)
You should have it registered properly and there is a free site to do that as well.
YOU (or your estate) will own that image 50 years after you die.
That's what a copy right is .... go study this on the net ---->

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 5 months ago #175013 by effron
My images are imbedded with my copyright, it is part of my exif data. Whether I loan you my camera, I lose it and you find it, or someone steals it, my copyright will be embedded in those images. Now you can change the copyright in camera, but you CANNOT change the serial number of the camera.
The OP doesn't give any details as to why he'd be using another person's camera, so there is a lot of jumping to conclusions here. Very interesting subject, I'd like to hear more......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024