Tuesday morning question: What constitutes someone as being a professional?

13 years 3 months ago #17481 by Tuscany
OMG this is to funny, a couple co workers who also share some interest in photography were just going back and forth about what constitutes a professional photographer from the amateur photographer. I heard enough and closed my office door, but before getting back to work I found this to be a good candidate for a thread topic.

Co-Worker #1 - "What makes a professional photographer is one who went to years and years of formal training and has college degree in photography"

Co-Worker #2 - "Some of the best photographers barely had a high school diploma, let alone college education".

Personally I think raw experience trumps college education.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #17494 by Baydream
My answer.
Do they make a living off their photography or a significant amount of money?
Some contest rules use a % (like 20% of income) and some use a dollar amount (say $2000/yr).
Being a professional has nothing to do with experience or education (although one would expect one or both if you are paying them to do work for you). I have sold a few photographs but I do not consider myself a "professional".

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #17596 by Happy Hour
I don't think they knew what they were talking about, some of the best photographers were self taught

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #17611 by Andrea
Way back when i first became interested in photography I entered a photo contest for a local scenic drive that is held yearly in my area. The entry form had a box for armature and one for professional....I of course checked the one for armature since I had only been fiddling with my new camera for about 6 months.

I won First Prize and to my astonishment..... it was in the Professional Division! Even when i considered myself to be a beginner, the judges saw enough talent in me to call me a pro.

I believe that talent, the quality of your work, and your passion for the craft makes you a professional.

p.s. heres the photo that won me the grand prize of 15$ and my photo on the next years program cover.

Attachments:
13 years 3 months ago #17627 by Rob pix4u2
I think this is a great thread to explore what we all think on this division of "amateur" vs. "pro".
I have considered myself pro since I began working at photography for money as a wedding and portrait shooter even though at the time it was my second job. I have gained enough experience shooting hockey and sports for magazine work as well over the last 15 years to consider that a second job too. I was always amazed that my father and uncle took fabulous photographs but never turned it into a living of any kind therefore landing them squarely in the amateur category. Talent and your portfolio of work are one of the things that give you an edge in turning pro, education is just another route to the same destination. I know a lot of self taught,apprenticed , and college educated pro photographers who reached the same places through these different avenues and all turn out some fabulous work. I also know some really talented amateurs( physicians mostly ) who are "pro" in another field but have the talent to go pro in photography if given the right opportunity and circumstances.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #17639 by cowboystuff
I like it too! Gotta' be the TeePee and the flag colors that get ya, about your TeePee Photo.
Now:
My question is, can you be a pro and not be a professional?
Pro meaning, really good at something.

13 years 3 months ago #17644 by Baydream

cowboystuff wrote: I like it too! Gotta' be the TeePee and the flag colors that get ya, about your TeePee Photo.
Now:
My question is, can you be a pro and not be a professional?
Pro meaning, really good at something.

You can have pro abilities but the definition of a professional is one who works for $. The term "old pro" is often used to describe someone with a lot of experience. but is not really accurate.
Rob pix4u2 is a pro because he earns money at it. I am an avid amateur even though I have won several photo contests (with small cash awards).

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #17739 by Scotty
Pro's when you make money on it.

Now a good pro, and a bad pro, that's a whole different ball game.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #17783 by Baydream

Scotty wrote: Pro's when you make money on it.

Play nice, now.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #17803 by Scotty

Baydream wrote:

Play nice, now.

lol, i wasn't referring to anybody here.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #17806 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote:

Play nice, now.

Scotty's right though. Just because you're an awesome business guy who can sucker people in just to take average photos which you then over process to look "modern" (pump up the contrast and over saturate to hell). Doesn't make you a GOOD pro. ;)
13 years 3 months ago #17917 by Silver Fox
Yeah I think if you make some cash while taking photos and it's consistent, you got some skills!

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #17920 by Scotty

Silver Fox wrote: Yeah I think if you make some cash while taking photos and it's consistent, you got some skills!

Or you're good at marketing.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #17932 by luckywish1
i hope sometime i can be a pro like you guys are

13 years 3 months ago #17942 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Silver Fox wrote: Yeah I think if you make some cash while taking photos and it's consistent, you got some skills!

Or you're good at marketing.

With photography (most of the time marketing > skill)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024