Do you believe compact cameras will take over DSLRs?

12 years 3 months ago #190129 by Street Shark
Look at Canon's and Nikon's new compact camera's and you have to start wondering how long before DSLR's follow the same fate as film cameras?

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #190139 by mattmoran
I doubt we will ever see a bunch of guys holding compact cameras dodging wide receivers as they get pushed out of bounds at NFL games. There will always be a demand for large sensor cameras that can be used with fast high quality lenses.

It may not be too long before those cameras are not technically DSLRs anymore. I think that requires some more processing power and some innovations with autofocus. DSLRs are beginging to support "live view". If it ever gets good enough that photographers stop using the optical viewfinder, then the viewfinder might go away.

So you may see a Canon or Nikon mirrorless system soon that supports the existing lenses. But I certainly don't expect the compacts to eclipse DSLRs.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #190140 by TheNissanMan
Although Compacts are getting better all the time they can not match the sensor sizes found on DSLRs with current technology, I think we're safe for a good while yet :)

12 years 3 months ago #190141 by Henry Peach
For most people their phone is all the camera they will ever need. Even photographers are often happy with a smart phone as their walk around.

The single lens reflex design (uses a mirror to redirect what the lens "sees" through an optical view finder) may disappear as electronic viewfinders and LCDs get better. There will always be larger cameras though, because whether it's film or digital one way to easily improve the image quality of any photographic technology is to make the original, meaning the sensor or film, larger. There will always be some photographers willing to carry a larger camera if it means better image quality.

With current optical technology there are potential issues with miniaturization. To get a typical field of view with very small formats requires very short focal lengths. With very short focal lengths it can be more difficult to get shallow DOF. Very small sensors need very small photo receptors if higher resolution is desired. Very small photo receptors don't do well in low light, and there may be aperture diffraction issues.
12 years 3 months ago #190154 by Solstar
I definitely agree with the idea that the mirror may disappear eventually, though large high quality lenses and sensors will hang around for a while yet. I also just thought about the fact that using a viewfinder tends to force you into a position that favors good technique. I hate not having a real viewfinder on my compact cam, I always feel my framing is drifting and I'm always shaky while I hold that camera out in front of me.

12 years 3 months ago #190235 by Nunya
I'm just waiting for the day to talk to my camera :whistle:

Don't look at me, I didn't do it :)
12 years 3 months ago #190240 by Stealthy Ninja
No, maybe they'll add a phone to mirror less cameras though.
12 years 3 months ago #190292 by effron
Yes and no, mostly no......B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #190303 by crystal
Here's my very simple answer....NO.
12 years 3 months ago #190338 by Shotw3ll
Point and shoots will get better as time goes on...that has been proven. However I don't think they will take over DSLR. Too many pro photographers count on the pro level bodies to just have a DSLR not exist.

12 years 3 months ago #190488 by geoffellis
Dont forget about the manufacturers... They`ll always make a bigger better camera that they can charge a lot more for. theres no incentive for them to make a point and shoot with all the capabilities that a Nikon D300S has, until theres like a Nikon D99000XX (Imaginary) with whatever new and improved capabilities theyve come up with... like 80MP with ISO 250,000 and f/0.4 zoom lenses or something LOL

but anyways ya... they`ll design new things for their high end range... then take the outdated technology and concepts and stick it in a point and shoot (and outdated could mean anything more than like a year old in this industry lol... not even like ancient)
12 years 3 months ago #190511 by Baydream
I think DSLRs will thrive for quite a while. Compacts are more in danger as phones get better if sensor size increases and zooms are added.

@Nunya - I already find myself talking to my camera - IT JUST WON'T LISTEN. :toocrazy:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #190513 by Dori

Baydream wrote: I think DSLRs will thrive for quite a while. Compacts are more in danger as phones get better if sensor size increases and zooms are added.

@Nunya - I already find myself talking to my camera - IT JUST WON'T LISTEN. :toocrazy:

Yeah, they are just like children...

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 3 months ago #190515 by Baydream

Dori wrote:

Baydream wrote: I think DSLRs will thrive for quite a while. Compacts are more in danger as phones get better if sensor size increases and zooms are added.

Yeah, they are just like children...

:rofl:

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #190516 by Baydream
The new PowerShot G1 X gets close. It's lens is f/2.8 to f/16 which means you can get some nice depth of field.

usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cam...meras/powershot_g1_x

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024