Fair Use Quandry

12 years 3 months ago #190370 by Baydream
Digital Photo Pro has an excellent article discussing "Fair Use" and copyright infringement by an attorney and professional photographer.
www.digitalphotopro.com/business/the-fai...n=DPPeNewsJan_011312

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #190372 by Shotw3ll
Long article, I'll have to read later but thanks for sharing. I don't get the Digital Photo pro magazine.

12 years 3 months ago #190407 by mattmoran
That is very interesting. I'd never heard of that case before.

For the other side of the issue: waxy.org/2011/06/kind_of_screwed/
(Note this article actually includes the images in question.)

Personally I think Biao's argument is persuasive. Lewis comes off as an attorney telling us not to get upset by the fact that lawsuits are expensive.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #190410 by icepics
I've read/heard about this before. I think as along as the copyright is still in effect the photographer would be able to enforce the copyright on his work. The artist got permission for usage for the music but not the cover art which obviously needed to be done. At some point the copyright would expire and then it would be public domain, but I think that would be years down the road.

As this writer says (Lessons to be Learned) the key thing is to get permission and work out compensation for usage.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #190411 by Baydream
It is long (3 pages). I went to the site and requested email updates. Most of the mag is available online (check on the above link).

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #190416 by photobod
Interesting article and a difficult issue, I have just raised a thread about the use of music on slideshows, it will be interesting to hear views on both these subjects.
Personally I think Maisel is being a bit of an arse but hey its his right I guess.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 3 months ago #190426 by icepics
Jay Maisel is a well known and well established photographer to have enough clout to pursue it; most photographers wouldn't have the money or resources to pursue copyright violations. The pixel art is recreating the photo so that it's very recognizable, it might be different if someone did a drawing of Miles Davis maybe in the same blue color scheme but not the same image.

It's the same thing as doing artwork/design or writing an article, there's a reasonable expectation of being compensated for the work. For any work, for that matter, I didn't work as a teacher without a paycheck. If I wanted to do volunteer work with kids, or donate one of my photos for use by a charity, that would be my choice.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #190428 by mattmoran

icepics wrote: The pixel art is recreating the photo so that it's very recognizable, it might be different if someone did a drawing of Miles Davis maybe in the same blue color scheme but not the same image.

This is the part I disagree with, and this issue is why I did a google search to try to find the original and derivative images. IMO the pixilated version is somewhat equivalent to someone making a sketch of the Mona Lisa. It is a new image and not a reproduction of the old one. And as such, it should be fair use and not covered by the original copyright.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #190435 by icepics
That could be the debate, to me it's recognizable and an altered photo, as soon as I saw the altered image I knew it was Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue'. And something like the Mona Lisa would be public domain, no copyright left after that many years! - even though I don't think there were copyrights that far back. Copyrights and I think trademarks etc. expire after a certain period. Once Maisel's copyright expires then that photo would be public domain and anyone could use it I believe.

It's like if I wrote an article, someone could write a similar story on the same topic, but couldn't change a few sentences of my article and have it republished, it would be my writing but in an altered form. The artist altered someone's photo but not to the point that it is no longer recognizable.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #190440 by mattmoran
I basically agree, but I don't think "recognizable" is the right standard. I could write a novel about a boy who finds out he has magic powers and is invited to a special school where he meets interesting characters and has adventures. It might be recognizable as derived from Harry Potter, but as long as its significantly different, then copyright claims by J.K. Rowling should not be an issue.

I think the pixel art version of the photo is significantly different, even though it is recognizably inspired by the same image. I might make a sketch of the Mona Lisa (or a Worhol if you like -- I'm sure his visual works are still protected by copyright) but it would be a different image. And in my opinion that should be fair game.

What a judge or jury would decide, I don't know.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #190692 by photobod

mattmoran wrote:

icepics wrote: The pixel art is recreating the photo so that it's very recognizable, it might be different if someone did a drawing of Miles Davis maybe in the same blue color scheme but not the same image.

This is the part I disagree with, and this issue is why I did a google search to try to find the original and derivative images. IMO the pixilated version is somewhat equivalent to someone making a sketch of the Mona Lisa. It is a new image and not a reproduction of the old one. And as such, it should be fair use and not covered by the original copyright.

I am inclined to agree with you Matt :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #190713 by icepics
Reading a little more about it, a copyright infringement decision is based in part on purpose of usage, whether it's commercial/money-making or not. They also take into consideration how much/what part of an image is used.

Basically the image is Maisel's, it belongs to him and was copyrighted. The artist's work wouldn't even exist without use of that photo. Now if someone used their own photo and recreated it in another form that would be different. In this case the artist didn't do a portrait of Miles Davis, he make a portrait of someone's photo.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024