What would you do?

12 years 3 months ago #193203 by mj~shutterbugg
I am in need of some serious advice. I love to shoot orchids and butterflies, I think I do a decent job at it as well. I have sold a few and list many more to sell. I was just informed that the botanical gardens where I do my shooting is now charging professional or any commercial use photographers (mine are included as they are for sale) a $500 yearly membership. That's right I said FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS!

My question is do I pay this fee so I can continue my work, forget the possible shots, or lie? I can look for other gardens in driving distance but this one is 30 minutes from my house. I typically go 10 times a year or more. I have sold approximately $250 worth in a year, that makes it seem stupid to purchase the membership, but if I do- I can safely photograph clients there as well. Like my engaged couple wanted shots in there but we decided against it due to the $500 which I was told only applied to photographing clients but now includes the art photogs after flowers. I am so torn. That's a HUGE amount of money! Opinions needed.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 3 months ago #193204 by McBeth Photography
Everybody wants a piece of the pie. There are a few tourist attractions around Oregon that have tried this and failed. Photographers provide a huge source of free advertising for tourism to gardens like this and they do miss it when it goes away. The Portland Japanese Garden has only a slight increase in fees for photographers and it includes a permission to sell the photos as long as the photos are labeled with the location. Personally, I wouldn't play their game .... I'd take my ball and go find a new place to play.

It is what it is.
12 years 3 months ago #193207 by johns1947
I'm new to this business (as a shooter).
My experience is over 30 years in the lab.

I too live near a large botanical garden. I am a MEMBER. They DO, welcome photographers, however, they have some restrictive regulations concerning professionals.
Since I (as yet) have not attempted to market any of my photo work, I don't feel impinged.

Were I you, I would stand on my AMATEUR status. (I'm a just a yokel, till yer ketches me)
If you don't MAR or DEFACE the property,.. the worst that can happen is they get free advertising.

I think they're being incredibly short sighted.

12 years 3 months ago #193213 by Scotty
500 is scalping. I'd go somewhere else.

What that place should have done is have a donations system to keep the place going and well kept. I'm sure you would give at least a few bucks every time you went and it wouldn't leave a bad taste in your mouth.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193215 by mj~shutterbugg
They charge everyone to go in. I happily payed my membership fee, this is new. I would even concede a portion of any sale, but to charge that and not be sure to get sales is really hard to swallow. I looked around and in my state that is normal. I just want to cry. I was itching to see these orchids and get some beauty shots, but that won't be happening. The new macro lens and converted camera were for these orchids and butterflies. Now I have new equipment and no focus. I need a new area of focus, any ideas?

www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 3 months ago #193218 by butterflygirl921
If you love it there and have clients that want their photos there i would get the membership. Nothing comes for free but if you personally enjoy taking photos there it is definitely worth it.

12 years 3 months ago #193222 by mattmoran
I would advise against claiming to be an amateur. Why introduce that stress into your life?

How hard are orchids to grow? Is this something you could do yourself?

I'm not a professional photographer, but I'd pay the upcharge if doing so could increase my revenue by substantially more than the upcharge.

Otherwise you need to find another source of flowers to photograph.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #193224 by Baydream
Given your time and materials, you would have to sell well over $1000 to cover a $500 fee. If your clients are ready to help foot the bill, it might be worth it. I understand a fee for client shoots but for flower shots? Pure robbery and greed.
You may be able to find an orchid society in your area who's members would be happy to have you photograph their treasures. Check for that and other "flower" groups. Many of them are happy to share to show off their work.

Matt - Orchids are not easy to raise.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193248 by mj~shutterbugg

Baydream wrote: Given your time and materials, you would have to sell well over $1000 to cover a $500 fee. If your clients are ready to help foot the bill, it might be worth it. I understand a fee for client shoots but for flower shots? Pure robbery and greed.
You may be able to find an orchid society in your area who's members would be happy to have you photograph their treasures. Check for that and other "flower" groups. Many of them are happy to share to show off their work.

Matt - Orchids are not easy to raise.

John, that is an excellent idea!!! I know that every year the botanical gardens I shoot at host a huge orchid show. I am off to search meet up for orchid groups!! Oh John THANK YOU!!!

www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 3 months ago #193266 by Baydream
Glad to help, MJ.
www.aos.org/default.aspx?id=1 for the national society

www.coosinfo.info/ for the Ohio Scoiety

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193268 by mj~shutterbugg
I sent off an email to the president of the Central Ohio Society. I am offering a digital right to print for th grower to help entice them. I hope they allow me to work with them.

www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 3 months ago #193271 by Baydream
Good luck. The "flower folks" around here and near our place up north are all nice folks.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193352 by crystal
I would not pay the $500. I love shooting macros, and flowers but $500 is not worth it. I would find some other garden that only has the typical yearly fee to pay.
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #193387 by Henry Peach
I wouldn't $500 pay just to sell $250 in flower photographs. If you enjoy photographing flowers give up the $250. Do it for the enjoyment, and skip the big fee.

On the other hand it could be pretty easy to divide $500 out over a year's worth of portrait sessions. A close, convenient, beautiful location is nice, and the big fee might keep the location a bit exclusive.
12 years 3 months ago #193402 by mj~shutterbugg

Henry Peach wrote: I wouldn't $500 pay just to sell $250 in flower photographs. If you enjoy photographing flowers give up the $250. Do it for the enjoyment, and skip the big fee.

On the other hand it could be pretty easy to divide $500 out over a year's worth of portrait sessions. A close, convenient, beautiful location is nice, and the big fee might keep the location a bit exclusive.

Matt, I think you are right on both counts. I was tossing the idea around of using the gardens as practice to hone my skills and then going to the Orchid Society to get my sellable prints. I am not shooting portrait sessions yet, but when I do and can have that as a backdrop I will certainly have no issue with the fee- that's more of an investment in business (because I will be getting paid before walking in the door) vs. for just the flower shots it's a crap shoot (because there are no guarantees). It was just such a shock yesterday. I am still upset but know I have a way around it now.

www.mjbrennanphoto.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024