Anyone join Pinterest?

12 years 2 months ago #203230 by Luis 1956
Just wondering if anyone join pinterest for another way to market your photography? If you have, any luck in selling? or gaining more clients? What is your opinion on the site?

12 years 2 months ago #203254 by scifitographer
I just started the experiment to see.. Posting other people's stuff and repinning atm to build up followers then I'll start posting from my own blog.

12 years 2 months ago #203275 by Luis 1956
I heard something like when people repin, repin etc.. the same image at some point down the line all the copyright info gets stripped away. So, there is a point where no one will know who actually took that photograph. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is true or not?

12 years 2 months ago #203307 by scifitographer
Not sure yet, the stuff I've seen so far all links back to the original website, even if it's been pinned and repinned many times.

12 years 2 months ago #203354 by Joves

scifitographer wrote: I just started the experiment to see.. Posting other people's stuff and repinning atm to build up followers then I'll start posting from my own blog.

Why are you using other peoples work?
To the OP I have never even heard of it.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #203361 by scifitographer

Joves wrote: Why are you using other peoples work?

That's sorta the point of the site, link and share stuff that you like... After just a few days of being on the site most everything on there is shared from other sources. I'm not sharing much of the stuff on my site yet because I've only got a few people looking at the stuff I post.

12 years 2 months ago #203363 by TheNissanMan
Sounds like a site I might avoid, if trying to build up a reputation or get your name known the last thing I would want is someone viewing my images from someone else in an area I can't control or am I missing the point?

12 years 2 months ago #203419 by scifitographer
Yea, you're missing the point. It's hard to explain, think of it like a differently formatted version of Google+. On G+ someone posts something and no one complains when someone else comes along and reshares it. Except G+ seems to be almost all photographers and politics, pintrest has a wider range. Best I can say is go out and research it yourself instead of trying to go by my explanations.

12 years 2 months ago #203432 by Scotty

scifitographer wrote: Yea, you're missing the point. It's hard to explain, think of it like a differently formatted version of Google+. On G+ someone posts something and no one complains when someone else comes along and reshares it. Except G+ seems to be almost all photographers and politics, pintrest has a wider range. Best I can say is go out and research it yourself instead of trying to go by my explanations.

It looks like a cross between Imgur and google +.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #203447 by Pixelchix
I am addicted to pinterest! Fun site and I have a lot of stuff pinned that I what to try.

12 years 2 months ago #203516 by crystal
I've recently joined pinterest. It's interesting for sure and can get addicting. It's just a site where people post images and if you like it enough you can repin it onto your board. Pretty much it's like tagging someone on facebook, that image will show up on their wall, then when someone shares it or tags another person it continues to get passed around. I am finding photographers are digging pinterest as it is a way to get your name/work out there.
12 years 2 months ago #203597 by Studio Queen
Looked at this a while back, it's a invite only site right?

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #203606 by icepics
I'd heard of it but not looked at it before, it looks like it's invitation only. I ran across something I was familiar with, and where it was pinned there was a link to the website (science for kids).

When I searched photography I kept finding photos that had a website who might be selling the photo, but I did not see a photographer's name on any of them. Even a couple of iconic well-known images had no name, no info., just a commerical site selling a copy of it. I wonder about the quality of it depending who you were purchasing it from. I don't see how a photographer would benefit if their name isn't on it, or their website or any site where they're selling their photos isn't listed.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #203833 by Joves

scifitographer wrote:

Joves wrote: Why are you using other peoples work?

That's sorta the point of the site, link and share stuff that you like... After just a few days of being on the site most everything on there is shared from other sources. I'm not sharing much of the stuff on my site yet because I've only got a few people looking at the stuff I post.

Well that would not work for me. Smugmug did this pic collecting thing which is similar to that, I disabled it. I also vented to them about it because what that did was circumvent the security I had set for my site. Im not much for my images going anywhere but where I choose to put them.

12 years 2 months ago #203952 by crystal
When you go to pinterest, click on the invitation only button and pinterest will email you an invite. It's just a way of them having members sign up, not really sure why it's that way. I was like WTF at first.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024