Do most photographers have a "I'm better than you complex"?

13 years 3 months ago #20841 by Number 7
I went to a photography group meeting last night. I figured being so new to photography it would be good to meet others and perhaps ask some questions, and perhaps make some new friends.

Here is my observation, photographers have tendency to have this diva attitude. Kind of snobby, techy guys and gals who don't want to share to much as they think you are going to do something with their answer. No joke I only asked 4 questions last night, to 3 different people and their answers were almost as if they were talking down to me. Now I have thick skin and this stuff doesn't bother me. I really enjoy photography, so was just surprised with how people treat each other. A few of them spent more time just wanting to talk about their new camera or lens they picked up.

I'll just pass on future meetings and stick with this site. :patriot:

So how about it, do you think photographers have this diva attitude?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #20847 by Baydream
At both the clubs I belong to (one in VA and one in Canada), I have only had maybe one or two that act that way, and only slightly. The cast majority have been sharing and warm.
A couple from the Nova Scotia club that spends winters in Florida encountered the same attitude you did from a large club down there.
Try meetup.com or a "google" and see if there is another group in you area.

No divas here. :banana:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #20848 by Solstar
:duel: That's too bad. I think it depends on the group of people you get. Some may be more interested in helping newer photographers others are just sensitive. You may want to find another group that is focused a bit more on helping newer folks. Happy to have you asking questions around here though. :welcomeclan

13 years 3 months ago #20849 by crystal
I have found it does depend on the individual and if they are confident in themselves. I've been out on a group outing with a bunch of photographers taking pictures of waterfalls. No one that day seem "better than you". However years ago I went to a couple photography club meetings and I met a few photographer who shoot in film who thought "i'm better than you". I also currently know a girl who thinks she is better than you in everything, and if you are a photographer, she thinks she is way better. When in reality, she's not.
13 years 3 months ago #20850 by Number 7
That is where I was surprised, I signed up on here only a few days ago and was surprised with how helpful people were. So more exposure in the photography seen I thought would be fun and chance to make some new friends. That will be the last time I attend that meet, I'll have to try out another one some day.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #20859 by photobod
have to say that this happened to me as well though it was many years ago, then it seemed like the older people had this diva attitude, I was going to join my local club here in the UK, but even there website came over as "arent we the best look at us" which has put me off, now reading this I am wondering wether to bother or not. :catfight: :slapface: :duel:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
13 years 3 months ago #20876 by Number 7

photobod wrote: have to say that this happened to me as well though it was many years ago, then it seemed like the older people had this diva attitude, I was going to join my local club here in the UK, but even there website came over as "arent we the best look at us" which has put me off, now reading this I am wondering wether to bother or not. :catfight: :slapface: :duel:

They almost gave the vibe that they just wanted to talk about how good they are, rather answer a newb's question. Hmmm

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #20887 by Screamin Scott
Which club was this Robert?...Depending on where you live, I can put you in touch with some other clubs in the Atlanta area where this attitude doesn't exist...I have gone to photo club meetings in Marietta, Canton, Rosewell & Dallas...While most every club may have one or two members like this, the majority are not...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #20925 by Sfood78
I can not say I've came across that attitude, then again I never been to a photography club.

13 years 3 months ago #20931 by Scotty
I try not to, but when you work in the industry...sometimes you have to.
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

PS. I like the banana emoticon way too much.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #20966 by Thirsty Beaver
I think that going to vary, depends on the photographer! Some are humble and others are just full of them selfs.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #20967 by Baydream

Thirsty Beaver wrote: I think that going to vary, depends on the photographer! Some are humble and others are just full of them selfs.

Or full of something (need an emoticon for BS). :nunu:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #20971 by Conner

Thirsty Beaver wrote: I think that going to vary, depends on the photographer! Some are humble and others are just full of them selfs.

Hate to say, but I 100% :agree:

I've come across some photographers that are so about them selves and could care less about others.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
13 years 3 months ago #20977 by Baydream

Conner wrote:

Hate to say, but I 100% :agree:

I've come across some photographers that are so about them selves and could care less about others.

Just like every other area of life, eh?:toetap:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #20986 by txmarine
Yep their out there - every where. And I have seen it at all levels during my 30 something years of shooting....even when it comes to critiquing other's work - some people are so full of themself that it is just ooozing out of their ears.
All in all though I have met some really nice helpful photographers who share and give all their talent to others so they too can enjoy this wonderful endeavor.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024