Do most photographers have a "I'm better than you complex"?

13 years 3 months ago #20991 by MelissaAbbey
I am surrounded by an amazing community in North and Central Florida. They share, their passionate about their craft, they're encouraging and always helpful.

13 years 3 months ago #20993 by Scotty
You guys are just mad that im better than you.
:banana:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #20998 by Cjarvis
Try your local colege thay are a littel more helpfull and the one at the college in my town has a photography teacher that put it together so he is thear to ask questions.

13 years 3 months ago #21092 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: You guys are just mad that im better than you.

Yeh these jealous noobs are not 1337 like us dood. :banana:
13 years 3 months ago #21125 by photobod

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

:toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :watching:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 3 months ago #21132 by Stealthy Ninja

photobod wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

:toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :watching:

:watching: :watching: :watching: :watching: :watching: :watching: :watching: :watching: :watching:
13 years 3 months ago #21242 by crystal

Thirsty Beaver wrote: I think that going to vary, depends on the photographer! Some are humble and others are just full of them selfs.

:agree: :thumbsup: :goodpost:
13 years 3 months ago #21243 by crystal

Baydream wrote:

Conner wrote:

Thirsty Beaver wrote: I think that going to vary, depends on the photographer! Some are humble and others are just full of them selfs.

Hate to say, but I 100% :agree:

I've come across some photographers that are so about them selves and could care less about others.

Just like every other area of life, eh?:toetap:

:agree:
13 years 3 months ago #21344 by Ziggy

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

What does 1337 mean or reference?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #21359 by McBeth Photography
Narcissism is more and more common in today's society, researchers have tracked its growth within cultures and society since the early 1950's. There is very little chance that you can go through your day without encountering the textbook narcissist. However, when you're in the image business I think that one is more apt to encounter "malignant self-love" which is a heightened form of narcissism.

How do we guard against it? Seek out and embrace not only the positive comments about our work but the negative as well, within reason. As we learn to view things and relationships from another's perspective we will also help ourselves.

Just sayin' its not the photography thats the problem folks.

It is what it is.
13 years 3 months ago #21376 by Baydream

txmarine wrote: Yep their out there - every where. And I have seen it at all levels during my 30 something years of shooting....even when it comes to critiquing other's work - some people are so full of themself that it is just ooozing out of their ears.
All in all though I have met some really nice helpful photographers who share and give all their talent to others so they too can enjoy this wonderful endeavor.

A number of years ago, I worked in software development and we had peer code reviews of every program. There were some who simply had to pick apart code, not because it was bad or incorrect, but because that person didn't like the style. The original programmer couldn't wait to be on a review group for the "griper" just to get revenge. What a lovely way to build teamwork.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #21385 by bhowdy
I personally know that I am better than everyone else! I can't help it .... it's simply the truth. A little arrogance always helps put the newbies in their place! :P

And now seriously ... I have had too many wonderful folks offer advice, constructive criticism ... answer numerous stupid (not dumb but just plain stupid) questions and offer praise when it was due as well. Of course there have been a few folks along the way that did project the aura that they were better than others ... sometimes when I looked art their galleries I was very confused by their ego versus the ability / results shown.

I love to "Pay It Forward" to others ... I will even let a fellow Canon shooter put their camera body on my 400mm or 500mm lens, after I have taken all the images that I need of a subject. I get such a kick out of the look on their faces when they say ... "Really ... you don't mind?"

I will occasionally miss a shot because of doing this ... like the little Screech Owl that sat in an opening of a tree for 30 minutes with it's eyes closed ... as soon as the young man that was standing next to me placed his camera on my 500mm (tripod mounted) the Screecher opened it eyes for a few minutes! Oh well there will always be other owls.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #21422 by hotshot19
I'm only 19 and only been shooting four about 3 years, so I don't have too much experience, but, yes, I've found many photographers can be quite secretive. I'm not so sure it's that they think they're better than you, but that the competition is so tough to stand out in the field that they worry about giving away secrets. On the other hand, I've met many photographers who can - and do - volunteer hours of their time to mentor new photographers. Sounds like maybe you just found the wrong group. Keep looking.

13 years 3 months ago #21451 by Rob pix4u2
I've run into this not just in the photo world but in my former life as a nurse too- knowledge is power and some people love the power. My attitude is that it is just plain selfish not to share your knowledge. To not mentor and share is to let your craft die a slow death of ignorance. To share what you have learned is to not doom the next generation to continue to make the same mistakes and never advance beyond a certain level. Talent is and always will be in combination with drive and the search for excellence a way to the top of any endeavour. Some people are born with more talent , some people have to work twice as hard to get to the same level. There is no reason to be snobby about it as we alll have the desire to contribute to our art and craft.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #21709 by Martini

hotshot19 wrote: I'm only 19 and only been shooting four about 3 years, so I don't have too much experience, but, yes, I've found many photographers can be quite secretive. I'm not so sure it's that they think they're better than you, but that the competition is so tough to stand out in the field that they worry about giving away secrets. On the other hand, I've met many photographers who can - and do - volunteer hours of their time to mentor new photographers. Sounds like maybe you just found the wrong group. Keep looking.

I agree about the secretive part. I know of a photographer who will not tell you will she took the shot, how she edit it or anything. However she demands the other photographers to tell her how they took their shot, edit etc.. Of course these other photographers answer, because they are nice and don't mind helping out others.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024