Ken Rockwell

12 years 1 month ago #214612 by MYoung
Here we go again :slapface: I know there have been discussions about Ken Rockwell before. I've gone to his site and read some of his topics and honestly don't see why so many suggest his site? He does come across rather a know it all. I just don't see the difference in his content from many other opinionated photography blog sites?

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #214614 by Baydream
Like many "celebrities" and politicians, he is great at marketing himself.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #214658 by Henry Peach

MYoung wrote: ...don't see why so many suggest his site?

Great search engine placement? Search for many common photography related keywords, and his site is often on the front page.
12 years 1 month ago #214679 by MYoung
Was he a good photographer prior to his site? I've found such mix reviews on this. I don't see why people follow him other than he seems to be a master blogger?

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #214714 by Baydream

Henry Peach wrote:

MYoung wrote: ...don't see why so many suggest his site?

Great search engine placement? Search for many common photography related keywords, and his site is often on the front page.

There are so many ways to get to the top of search engine lists, including payments (for some), number of visits (hits) and even lots of keywords (one trick is to hide tons of them repeatedly in very small type in the same font color as background color so they can't be seen). There are masters at this type of work.

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #214779 by McBeth Photography
In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny....

It is what it is.
12 years 1 month ago #214783 by Scotty

McBeth Photography wrote: In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny....

The guy is a marketing genius.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #214786 by McBeth Photography

Scotty wrote:

McBeth Photography wrote: In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny....

The guy is a marketing genius.

lol. Yes he is, not quite a reliable source of info, but a great marketer. :)

It is what it is.
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #214865 by Henry Peach

MYoung wrote: Was he a good photographer prior to his site? I've found such mix reviews on this. I don't see why people follow him other than he seems to be a master blogger?

With one or two exceptions I had never heard of any of the people who write the photography blogs I follow before I read their blog. I think I heard he was an engineer for a career, and an amateur photographer. He posts his photos periodically on the site. There's a gallery link on the first page. The photos I've seen seem decent to me. Nothing special, but as good (better than some) as the stuff I see on other popular photography blogs. Very Velvia-esque, which is popular among the masses, but not my cup of tea.

His site is full of a ton of information, particularly about gear. Photographers love the gear. For many it's just as much a part of the enjoyment of photography as actually taking pictures. I assume they follow him because they find the info on his site useful and/or interesting. At least part of his popularity is that he is one of those guys many love to hate. Apparently because his opinions on the gear varies a hair from their position. As it seems to me that he says similar BS as all the other measure-abators. Once I got over the gear I found it easy to ignore him and the rest of them, because it all seems a bit silly. Unless you are trying to make a living selling advertising on your blog to photo gear advertisers. In which case I'd say he's acing it. ;)
12 years 1 month ago #214923 by Todd Knight
Good post from Henry :agree:

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #214958 by icepics
I've read some things on his site and his style of writing seems rather tongue in cheek, I'm not sure if he completely takes himself seriously. He seems to have a certain amount of knowledge, and a personality and way of writing that is unique to say the least, maybe that's partly why he gets so much attention.

If I want to learn something I look for professional sites that have writers/photographers with some expertise, and usually read more than one source (I don't necessarily take any one resource as being absolute).

Barry's 'words of wisdom' from Bugs Bunny seems to fit this situation as much as anything !!

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #215000 by effron
Matt hits it pretty well. I am also fascinated with the almost cult-like anti Rockwell snobbishness pervasive in so many sites. To be cool and accepted, let's all bash the idiot. Try not to get too caught up in that and just ignore him if it bothers you.......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #215037 by Baydream

effron wrote: Matt hits it pretty well. I am also fascinated with the almost cult-like anti Rockwell snobbishness pervasive in so many sites. To be cool and accepted, let's all bash the idiot. Try not to get too caught up in that and just ignore him if it bothers you.......

:agree: Well put. If you don't like the entertainment, don't click on it. Obviously a lot of people enjoy it. Let 'em. I think some bash him just to make themselves feel better. Guess it's easier than posting their own.

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #215041 by Scotty

Baydream wrote:

effron wrote: Matt hits it pretty well. I am also fascinated with the almost cult-like anti Rockwell snobbishness pervasive in so many sites. To be cool and accepted, let's all bash the idiot. Try not to get too caught up in that and just ignore him if it bothers you.......

:agree: Well put. If you don't like the entertainment, don't click on it. Obviously a lot of people enjoy it. Let 'em. I think some bash him just to make themselves feel better. Guess it's easier than posting their own.

I agree with what everybody has said.

Personally I look forward to his reviews, because I find them outlandish and hilarious.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #215395 by Jim Photo
I have to be really bored to read his stuff, I feel he just rubs me the wrong way.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024