Low-income discount?

12 years 3 weeks ago #218154 by silvereagle135
So I've been shooting senior portraits for my kids and their friends for the last few years and grown a nice little side business just by recommendations and word of mouth. I charge a fair price but I know for some kids out there, even that is too much. I'd love to give back to the community and give discounted or even free shoots for kids that can't afford good photos for their senior year. I think it's really important to have nice memories of this time in a kid's life. My question is how do I do that without making my paying customers angry or letting myself get taken advantage of by people that can afford it?

Is it too idealistic? Does anyone else do this?

12 years 3 weeks ago #218157 by Vincent
Good question. A couple suggestions:

1. Check with your CPA on what tax write off benefits might come from this, as this might be considered donating time.

2. To know you are dealing with authentic low income households perhaps position yourself with programs and other organizations that work with low income families. Offer your services at events they may be hosting.

I think that is a stand up idea.

Nikon D700 | 14-24mm f/2.8G ED | 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II | (2) SB-900
Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #218160 by ThatNikonGuy
:agree: there are a number of inner city organizations that you can work with. Depends on your area, but worth looking into.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #218186 by Richard K Photography

Vincent wrote: Good question. A couple suggestions:

1. Check with your CPA on what tax write off benefits might come from this, as this might be considered donating time.

2. To know you are dealing with authentic low income households perhaps position yourself with programs and other organizations that work with low income families. Offer your services at events they may be hosting.

I don't think you can claim a discount. Now if you were giving 100% of your services for free, I think that would work just fine.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #218240 by Jim Photo

Richard K Photography wrote:

Vincent wrote: Good question. A couple suggestions:

I don't think you can claim a discount. Now if you were giving 100% of your services for free, I think that would work just fine.

Not necessarily, still good idea to check with CPA

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #218335 by Kenya See
If you leave it to the honor system you'll have people taking advantage of you in no time. I'd partner up with one of the inner city groups as suggested already. Good cause.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #218670 by silvereagle135
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I don't know why I didn't even think of pairing up with an existing organization. Though my town is pretty small I'm not sure what it has to offer but I'll definitely check it out.

What about a contest or grant sort of format if I can't find anything? Guess that might take more publicity than I have going for myself right now but just a thought.

12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #218688 by icepics
Having been a teacher I think sounds like it could be possible. I'm not sure if it's getting late enough in the school year for it to be possible this school year, but if not it would be something that could be done next school year. (My nephew's school did theirs in the fall, but that was for the yearbook or to buy if they wanted, I imagine kids get their own done whenever they want).

As others suggested, working thru a community organization might be the best way to make this available to the kids who would benefit the most. I don't know if there's a United Way or a 411 service in your area, they could possibly give you the names of social agencies.

I've taken a couple of workshops on grant writing and there's a process to that, and I think if you start handling money yourself you're getting into needing to setting up a nonprofit; I'm not sure if you want to do something that involved. If you offer the service thru an existing community agency you could probably just donate your time and talent without needing to handle money.

I'm wondering if there might be a possibility of going thru a local school district? They wouldn't be able to release info. but maybe could work out something with you and whoever does their school pictures and have kids sign up, then base the cost on what they're eligible for (in my area usually the criteria for free and reduced lunch was the guideline for being eligible for other services). So I'm not sure exactly how it might work but you might be able to offer something on a sliding scale or free for those kids who are eligible. Maybe you could talk to a guidance counselor at a high school as a starting point if you want to try to go that route.

Good luck with your efforts.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #218762 by Silver Fox

icepics wrote: Having been a teacher I think sounds like it could be possible. I'm not sure if it's getting late enough in the school year for it to be possible this school year, but if not it would be something that could be done next school year. (My nephew's school did theirs in the fall, but that was for the yearbook or to buy if they wanted, I imagine kids get their own done whenever they want).

As others suggested, working thru a community organization might be the best way to make this available to the kids who would benefit the most. I don't know if there's a United Way or a 411 service in your area, they could possibly give you the names of social agencies.

I've taken a couple of workshops on grant writing and there's a process to that, and I think if you start handling money yourself you're getting into needing to setting up a nonprofit; I'm not sure if you want to do something that involved. If you offer the service thru an existing community agency you could probably just donate your time and talent without needing to handle money.

I'm wondering if there might be a possibility of going thru a local school district? They wouldn't be able to release info. but maybe could work out something with you and whoever does their school pictures and have kids sign up, then base the cost on what they're eligible for (in my area usually the criteria for free and reduced lunch was the guideline for being eligible for other services). So I'm not sure exactly how it might work but you might be able to offer something on a sliding scale or free for those kids who are eligible. Maybe you could talk to a guidance counselor at a high school as a starting point if you want to try to go that route.

Good luck with your efforts.

:goodpost:

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #218932 by silvereagle135
Thanks icepics! I was starting to think about the free lunch idea as well. Def don't wanna start a nonprofit or anything too involved because as I said, this is more just a side thing for me. I don't shoot the actual yearbook photos, most schools have a contract with a company for that sort of thing is my understanding. I just do the personal shots for keepsakes.

12 years 2 weeks ago #219216 by mclayton
Maybe do something that requires a letter of reference from a teacher?
Many teachers can tell if a teenager is low income.

12 years 2 weeks ago #220214 by silvereagle135
:) Good Idea mclayton. This project may get out of my hands. I have limited time but I'm gunna do the best I can! Maybe I can have groups of friends come for a session together for time sake.

12 years 2 weeks ago #220218 by silvereagle135
Oh look what I just found!

community.help-portrait.com/

Guess I'm not the only one with this idea. That's good!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024