Can increasing Exposure reduces the image quality?

12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #219969 by molier82
All Righty Experts,

I have another question.
I have a Nikon camera. I tried taking on 'A' mode, ISO 100, Raw, shutter speed between 1/500 to 1/ 3000, exposure between +3 to +10, no flash for both day time and night time, adjusting only the exposure.
When I check the pictures on the camera, they looked so good and perfect color. But, later, when I got home, the results were really very bad.
I could not use any of the pictures, because of the noise. They were so very tinted...
I've been trying to shoot picture in 'A' mode, but it gives me very bad result, they are very tinted..

What am I doing wrong, where did I go wrong?
Can you please advice?
(Below is an example of the picture taken that night)
Am eagerly waiting for your reply......

Cheers
Andres

Andrés Molièr
Attachments:
12 years 2 weeks ago #219984 by Baydream
Andres -
You are shooting in aperture priority (you set the f/stop and the camera decides the shutter speed) but don't mention what f/stops you are using. You are then using exposure composition? Not sure what your +3 to +10 is regarding. I'm not sure how you are getting those shutter speeds in low light with ISO 100.

I would not be using ISO 100 for indoor shots. That requires bright light.
Check the EXIF data on this photo and make sure of the ISO and shutter speed, then tell use the f/stop number and lens.
A bit more information would be helpful.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #219991 by icepics
You mentioned a really fast shutter speed, that's not getting enough light into your camera especially at 100 ISO. That fast of a shutter speed would work to freeze action but is used more for sports/action shots. That low of an ISO would be better outdoors/in brighter light.

Your image quality is probably due to the short exposure time with that fast shutter speed, and the low ISO for the amount of available light.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #220024 by Joves
Well you would get noise with a photo as under exposed as that one is. Even with Exposure Compensation kicked up like that. EC does have its limits. I would have been shooting indoors like that with a minimum of ISO 400 of you did not want to use a flash. With 100 you should have used the flash there is no way around it except for a longer exposure time, meaning a very slow shutter speed, which if you were in Aperture Mode then the camera would have given you that. Are you sure you were in A and not in S mode? Because to get those shutter speeds you would have to have been in it, in which case the lens could only go to it widest opening, which in that light and at that ISO, would not have been adequate at all.
Indoor like this is when flash is needed and this is why learning to use a flash effectively is fundamental in photography. Hell I use flash outside in sunlight when it is called for. While I do try to use natural light as much as I can, there are times when it is not enough, or will work out right for the exposure.

12 years 2 weeks ago #220146 by molier82
Thank you so much guys for the comment and the advice. Definitely, the setting was incorrect.
It was such a shame to tell to the other people that all the pictures were unusable.

I'll try increasing the ISO a bit, and use flash especially for indoor shooting.

My other question would be, technically is there a process to cure these kind of pictures after they are shoot?
Like a software or a process?

But, wow.. Thanks again. I know where I went wrong...

Cheers
Andres

Andrés Molièr
12 years 2 weeks ago #220282 by Joves
Well there is the software that came with the cameras you have I think it is ViewNX if I remember correctly. Which allows you some corrections I havent use it but it should have some form of denoising toll in there. Also you can adjust your levels to brighten it up some. There are free programs such as GIMP, and then there Adobes Elements, Lightroom and Photoshop, listed least expensive to highest priced. But to be quite honest there is not too much you can do to make them really great.

12 years 2 weeks ago #220427 by icepics
Maybe you could take some practice shots in your living room or something and try some different camera settings, like try 100/200 ISO w/flash, or 400 or higher ISO w/out flash if there's enough existing light. I usually use at least a 1/125 shutter speed or maybe 1/60 but I find any slower than that hard to do handheld.

Then maybe post them in the Beginner section, or in the section for Display and Critique under General or any other section, and you could get some helpful suggestions or answers to your question about if there's anything that can help improve the photos you already took.. I think new topics get posted so much in this section that a lot of people may not have seen this post.

Sharon
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: molier82
12 years 2 weeks ago #220476 by Henry Peach

molier82 wrote: ...exposure between +3 to +10...

What does this mean? I would assume exposure compensation, but I'm unaware of any cameras with exp comp that goes to 10, and +10 would probably result in a solid white photo. Do you mean +0.3 to +1.0?

As the others have said ISO 100 is for bright light. ISO 400 would be good for indoors with flash. ISO 800+ for indoors without flash.

This scene will tend to fool the meter. White walls + white clothes + bright window in background = bright toned scene. The meter goes for middle gray, and will underexpose this scene if left to it's own devices. Add some exposure compensation (+1 to +2 ought to do it), or over expose from what the meter says by a stop or so.

You should start by reading your camera manual.
The following user(s) said Thank You: molier82

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024