Gender Comparison Poll - Is Bigger Better?

Poll: Battery Grip - By Gender

Male - Uses or desires Battery Grip
9 47.4%
Male - No use/desire for Battery Grips
5 26.3%
Female - Uses or desires Battery Grip
2 10.5%
Female - No use/desire for Battery Grips
3 15.8%
Total number of voters: 19
Only registered users can participate to this poll
11 years 11 months ago #229787 by geoffellis
Reading the other thread on battery grips.. I got to thinking whether perhaps battery grips are, subconsciously or not... a "size" issue with men.

So curiously... i would like to know if the primary purchasers of battery grips are male... or whether women also find a use or desire for them :)
11 years 11 months ago #229795 by chasrich
This is a probing question... I have no prediction at this point. :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 11 months ago #229803 by mklinejr
I use it because of the orientation of my hands when in portrait...not so much because of the size.

But I like to use a huge lens whenever possible......:rofl: :rofl: :whistle:

Life is much more managable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffet
11 years 11 months ago #229812 by Joves
OoooooO! I love the feel of it in my hand that way it,,,,,err we are talking about grips. :ohmy:
Yeah I have one but do not use it a whole lot unless I have a day where it seems I will be in portrait orientation a lot. Otherwise it is extra weight I do not need or want on my camera.

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #229820 by icepics
This thread could get interesting... :lol: - but I wondered the same thing.

I've never used one. When I shoot with the camera held vertically I shift the weight of the camera into my right palm; if I'm holding it horizontally and need to support it more I move my left hand under the base of the camera. (Or something like that... easier to show than explain!)

I use mechanical cameras that are mostly metal and have some weight to them, but I'm used to that so don't feel like I have much difficulty with shutter movement etc.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #229826 by Baydream
The grip does make the horizontal shot feel "normal" to me and it does provide balance when using a longer lens. My XSi with a grip seesm to weigh about the same as my 60D without.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #229835 by Camera Diva
I'll use it to make portrait shots more comfortable

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #229879 by Henry Peach
I like one if I'm using a huge lens, but in general I'm trying to lighten the load that I'll be carrying around my neck all day.
11 years 11 months ago #229891 by Dave Burburry

Henry Peach wrote: I like one if I'm using a huge lens, but in general I'm trying to lighten the load that I'll be carrying around my neck all day.

:agree: it does even things out

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #229905 by Stealthy Ninja
I was using my D3s and my D800 the other day and I REALLY long for a D800 battery grip. I hate shooting portrait orientation without something to hold onto. Felt like a chicken with my wing out to one side.

Also it helps balance bigger lenses.

Also, it's a place to hold my second battery.
11 years 11 months ago #229975 by geoffellis
This poll isnt really gonna work if theres no women voting on it... lol come on people!
11 years 11 months ago #229990 by KCook

Baydream wrote: The grip does make the horizontal shot feel "normal" to me and it does provide balance when using a longer lens. My XSi with a grip seesm to weigh about the same as my 60D without.

My thinking as well. My 50D is plenty heavy without a grip. But if I ever got one of those cute little Micro4/3 cameras, a grip would be a cool addition.

conflicted Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago #230053 by Pamela
I'm happy with what I have :P

11 years 11 months ago #230066 by CWphotos

geoffellis wrote: This poll isnt really gonna work if theres no women voting on it... lol come on people!

My hands are not small, as female hands go, but my 5D is still a hefty load. When I shoot with the 100-400mm lens, it's almost always on a tripod, so balance is not a good reason to invest in a battery pack. If I ever use up two batteries in one shoot, I would consider one...but...if my husband has his way, that would never happen--he's ALWAYS rushing me! :catfight:

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
11 years 11 months ago #230151 by CanonKid
Hope to get one this summer

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024