Beginners worry about gear, pro's worry about light

11 years 11 months ago #229897 by Happy Snapper
LOL I read this statement on someone's blog and I found it to be interesting. It does have some truth to it. When you get started in photography you are so fixated on what gear you have. Then when you are a pro, your just thinking about where are you going to get light from.

Do you agree with the title, as you gain more experience gear becomes less important as you are looking for quality light?

Thoughts?

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #229915 by Stealthy Ninja
The real quote:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

www.vernontrent.com/about/
11 years 11 months ago #229930 by icepics
Maybe it depends on when you started in photography, if it was using film or digital etc. I'm not into needing new equipment as much as collecting vintage cameras that are working that I can use. But I started noticing light in more recent years, although I don't have lighting equipment. I see where and how the light changes colors or creates shadows etc. and use that in my photos.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #229932 by Baydream
Think he knows the difference?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 11 months ago #229934 by icepics
I don't know but he seems to like what he sees on the viewscreen! :lol:

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #229938 by KCook

Stealthy Ninja wrote: The real quote:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

Absolutely luv that quote :thumbsup:

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago #229940 by chasrich

Stealthy Ninja wrote: The real quote:

SNAGGED! Thanks SN :thumbsup:

11 years 11 months ago #229943 by CWphotos

Baydream wrote: Think he knows the difference?

Now, THIS would cause me to worry about equipment!!! :rofl:

I'm OK with not ever making money, though I've never really tried ( I've sold a total of six images, but by mere accident due to someone entering my developer's shop and seeing one of my photos that he had just enlarged for me. ); there's always room for adding to MY bag, since I have been $$ scrounging for almost 20 years; I only fret about getting out when the light is good ( A master? NOT! ).

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
11 years 11 months ago #229977 by Joves
Well I have not so much obsessed about my equipment for years. I more worry about the light and lighting to get what I want for an images something I have done for years as well. But I am no master, I have heard people call me something similar to the but it started with a B and the end sounded like a D. :P

11 years 11 months ago #230031 by Henry Peach
That was how it worked for me. I quickly caught on that the light was pretty important, but I still wasted way too much time and money on gear. I had a mentor that told me something along the lines of "You're like a kid with the 124 box of crayons, but you should really be concentrating on mastering the 8 color box."
11 years 11 months ago #230033 by Baydream

Henry Peach wrote: That was how it worked for me. I quickly caught on that the light was pretty important, but I still wasted way too much time and money on gear. I had a mentor that told me something along the lines of "You're like a kid with the 124 box of crayons, but you should really be concentrating on mastering the 8 color box."

Great advice.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #230035 by Henry Peach

Baydream wrote: Great advice.

Yeah, but it took me many more years of G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome) for it to really sink in. :)
11 years 11 months ago #230039 by KCook

Henry Peach wrote:

Baydream wrote: Great advice.

Yeah, but it took me many more years of G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome) for it to really sink in. :)

You mean GAS can be overcome? Where is the Twelve Step Program? :silly:

(Speaking of GAS, luving my new Yongnuo flash)

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago #230068 by Missy J

Baydream wrote: Think he knows the difference?

Yogi!!

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #230104 by Augustin
I worry about everything! Nothing is perfect regardless what level of experience you have.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024