I just realized I've broken 5 lenses! How about you?

11 years 8 months ago #244490 by Rob pix4u2
I was at the hockey rink and during an intermission shooting a bikini contest on New Years Eve. The Zamboni had just resurfaced the ice, I stepped onto the ice and my feet went out from under me in front of 10,000 or so fans. there I was parralel to the ice camera in one hand and 80-200 f 2.8 lens in the pocket of my vest. I landed on the lens like a sack of manure. the crowd gasped thinking I had broken my hip. Luckily the lens hood took the brunt of the fall and was badly misshapen. yhe lens and I survived and I still use it today. Whew close call
2)-Dropped a Kiron 80-200 lens on the cement while fumbling to attach ot to the body. filter smashed and something inside still rattles but the lens still works - close call as well

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 8 months ago #244503 by butterflygirl921
I have never dropped and broken a lens but I do lose lens caps :ohmy:

11 years 8 months ago #244504 by chasrich
Just to be safe - I only buy broken lenses. The odds of breaking a lens twice goes way up! Are you selling any of your broken lenses? :woohoo: I pay in broken US Dollars... :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 8 months ago #244620 by Homer
I have lost just one lens cap, do I get an award? :rofl:

11 years 8 months ago #245059 by Waz323
Nothing recently but back in the good old days of film a gadget bag strap opened and the bag, which I hadn't closed, tumbled down the stairs I had just climbed. Hasselblad 500CM and Canon EOS 3 bodies and lenses cartwheeled out in slow motion. Luckily the only damage was a smashed A12m back and a couple of nasty gashes on the Canons.
Once at a wedding I also learnt the hard way that my ribs are not as tough as my Sigma 12-24. I slipped and fell onto it, the lens was fine but I cracked a couple of ribs.

11 years 8 months ago #245478 by NikaTraveler
Oh man! Two falls on a lens. I thankfully have never broken a bone or had any serious bodily injuries so I guess that's a plus, my luck isn't that bad after all.

Bhowdy, that sucks! I would have cried too. When I didn't have money to replace my camera (or insurance) I used to have reoccurring nightmares of my camera drowning. It was always different too. Now that I could afford a new one (though lord knows I don't want to have to buy one) I don't have those anxiety nightmares any more. LOL. In fact I gave my old body away to a long distance friend who had broken his. Makes me so happy to see his new shots with my old pal.

changetheverb.com ~Learning to Live Differently
11 years 8 months ago #245479 by NikaTraveler

chasrich wrote: Just to be safe - I only buy broken lenses. The odds of breaking a lens twice goes way up! Are you selling any of your broken lenses? :woohoo: I pay in broken US Dollars... :rofl:

How does one make US dollars MORE broken? :rofl:

11 years 8 months ago #245485 by icepics
Only one, after dropping it two different times on the concrete floor at a hockey rink. After the second time it was OK til the next winter when I was focusing and felt something give and everything went out of focus. It was an old lens that had seen a lot of use so was more of a sentimental loss than a financial one.

Then after I got a cheapie replacement at a camera swap, sometime later the camera did a nosedive (or lens dive?) in between a seat and a concrete wall at another arena... jammed into the camera which is still usable (barely) but has gone into retirement til I get around to maybe some repair someday.

Have had a flying hockey puck bounce off it, that didn't faze it!

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245487 by NikaTraveler

icepics wrote: Only one, after dropping it two different times on the concrete floor at a hockey rink. After the second time it was OK til the next winter when I was focusing and felt something give and everything went out of focus. It was an old lens that had seen a lot of use so was more of a sentimental loss than a financial one.

Then after I got a cheapie replacement at a camera swap, sometime later the camera did a nosedive (or lens dive?) in between a seat and a concrete wall at another arena... jammed into the camera which is still usable (barely) but has gone into retirement til I get around to maybe some repair someday.

Have had a flying hockey puck bounce off it, that didn't faze it!

Hmmm another rink story. Not to self: Never bring camera to a rink of any sort.

11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #245491 by icepics
:lol: I managed to do the same type thing in a canoe, etc. etc. But I've spent hours in hockey rinks so I guess those are the odds. Over the years I dinged up the lens so much the built in lens hood was permanently jammed (which I liked better, the hood quit sliding in and out so that took care of th!)

I've had lens caps pop off and disappear too (because they wouldn't stay on the dented lens hood). I definitely got my money's worth out of that camera and lens.

edit - Luckily I never had Rob's misfortune but how I avoided it I don't know, usually they roll out the carpet for the ceremonial puck drops and presentations of giant fake cardboard checks, but the photographers are usually out on the ice...

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245493 by NikaTraveler

icepics wrote: :lol: I managed to do the same type thing in a canoe, etc. etc. But I've spent hours in hockey rinks so I guess those are the odds. Over the years I dinged up the lens so much the built in lens hood was permanently jammed (which I liked better, the hood quit sliding in and out so that took care of that nicely!)

I've had lens caps pop off and disappear too (because they wouldn't stay on the dented lens hood :lol: ). I definitely got my money's worth out of that camera and lens.

Lens caps? What are those? ;)

11 years 8 months ago #245673 by fbicking
None at this point but only been shooting 18 months. Hoping to never post a lose but I know one will come at some point.
11 years 8 months ago #245677 by Rob pix4u2
Sharon and I have spent a lot of time shooting in hockey rinks and luckily only minor incidents with cameras or lenses as casualties.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 8 months ago #246324 by NikaTraveler

fbicking wrote: None at this point but only been shooting 18 months. Hoping to never post a lose but I know one will come at some point.

It's not as bad as you would imagine. ;) Just embarrassing:whistle: when it's someone else's.

11 years 8 months ago #246468 by Joves
In my 40+ years shooting I have broken a few, I never kept count except for the first one. Which was an old Pentax smc 35mm, that was broken at a Sex Pistols show. Someone slammed into me hard ripping my strap and it landed lens first, with the guy on top of it. After that I lost a few others either rock climbing, missing the bags when I was 3 sheets, a few of them tossed at the bag and a miss. I have been rough on myself and my equipment in my earlier years, but hell as I look at it being totally safe in life is no fun.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024