I just realized I've broken 5 lenses! How about you?

11 years 9 months ago #244219 by NikaTraveler
So was just commenting on another post and had a very sad realization... I've broken 5 lenses. Holy cow. Granted, this is spread out over many years but still. That's a lot! Here is a quick breakdown:

1. Left my camera on my tripod, legs all the way down and on carpet. Boyfriend at the time knocked it over whilst vacuuming. So... I'll only take half credit for this one. ;) He bought me a replacement.

2. Assisting a wedding photographer. I'm Canon, she's Nikon. The lenses go on in opposite directions. We were rushing to get another shot and I butterfingered because I wasn't used to the other lenses and dropped her lens. Luckily it was the cheapest of her lenses and she said she had insurance but I felt really bad.

3. Working on some product photography (shiny giant stuff that required careful angling with limited space and lighting) and had the tripod legs balanced a bit weird for some reason I can't remember. I somehow knocked it over when I went to take a break and busted the lens.

4/5. Was going to a Buddhist temple stay in Korea. Hung my padded camera backpack up on a bathroom hook. It fell off. Thought nothing had happened and didn't realize it until I went to photograph the temple on arrival that one was out of alignment (my favorite one) and the other was actually fine but the filter had shattered and the remaining ring was stuck on...

That one, I was about to cry and a little chihuahua in booties and a frilly neck kerchief pranced by and I remembered not to take things so seriously. Non-attachment eh? Turns out they were super cheap and easy to fix and it was no big deal.

So... am I alone in this? Feeling like a total dufus right now! Haha. :rolleyes

changetheverb.com ~Learning to Live Differently
11 years 9 months ago #244220 by Scotty
Never letting you use my gear. :cheers:

I've destroyed an old tamron lense. I use it as pencil holder now.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #244242 by Screamin Scott
Stay away from my gear too... 40 + years and only damage was one dented filter ring...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #244245 by NikaTraveler
Aww Scotty and Screamin Scott! Why you gotta be like that? I'll take care of your stuff, no worries. Especially L lenses. Just pass them over nice and slow. :rofl:

11 years 9 months ago #244246 by Scotty

NikaTraveler wrote: Aww Scotty and Screamin Scott! Why you gotta be like that? I'll take care of your stuff, no worries. Especially L lenses. Just pass them over nice and slow. :rofl:

You can have every L lens I own.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #244269 by Screamin Scott
Considering that I shoot Nikon, I don't think you will be seeing any L glass ! LOL

NikaTraveler wrote: Aww Scotty and Screamin Scott! Why you gotta be like that? I'll take care of your stuff, no worries. Especially L lenses. Just pass them over nice and slow. :rofl:

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #244276 by Dragonflies

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I had a good chuckle here ;)

11 years 8 months ago #244337 by boriqua latina
I haven't broken any lens , my camera doesn't want u near them.

11 years 8 months ago #244344 by McBeth Photography
Wow sorry about your luck w/lenses, I noticed that two of the incidents involved tripods....here's a tripod recommendation for you.

It the Bogen 3046 studio tripod. It weighs 10 lbs. without the tripod head and matched up with a 3047 head it'll tip the scales at 13 lbs......no more damaged lenses, just broken toes! lol.

www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20491582.html

It is what it is.
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #244360 by Stealthy Ninja
Years of nothing then the last 2 months I dropped and damaged two.

24-70 dropped and distorted the rear coupling. Out of warranty so I pulled it apart and fixed it myself (don't try it, you have to know what you're doing). Now it works fine.

Tonight my 85 1.8G (2nd newest lens) fell out of my dry cabinet because I hade a freakin' neck strap on the camera I was pulling out and it must have caught the lens and pulled it out. I don't like neck straps even more now :(

Latter is under warranty. It'll be fine only the aperture isn't opening. It's pretty easy to fix, the aperture spring gets knocked out easily and the Nikon tech will fix it in no time. I'm not fixing that myself, in warranty Nikon can do it for me.
11 years 8 months ago #244459 by NikaTraveler

McBeth Photography wrote: Wow sorry about your luck w/lenses, I noticed that two of the incidents involved tripods....here's a tripod recommendation for you.

It the Bogen 3046 studio tripod. It weighs 10 lbs. without the tripod head and matched up with a 3047 head it'll tip the scales at 13 lbs......no more damaged lenses, just broken toes! lol.

I'll pass. Not really practical for a nomad... or... well who IS it practical for? Someone shooting in a hurricane?

And 2 lenses were damaged from a bathroom hook. I actually begrudgingly put my bag on the ground or really really double check it before letting it hang for paranoia now.

11 years 8 months ago #244460 by NikaTraveler

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Years of nothing then the last 2 months I dropped and damaged two.

24-70 dropped and distorted the rear coupling. Out of warranty so I pulled it apart and fixed it myself (don't try it, you have to know what you're doing). Now it works fine.

Tonight my 85 1.8G (2nd newest lens) fell out of my dry cabinet because I hade a freakin' neck strap on the camera I was pulling out and it must have caught the lens and pulled it out. I don't like neck straps even more now :(

Latter is under warranty. It'll be fine only the aperture isn't opening. It's pretty easy to fix, the aperture spring gets knocked out easily and the Nikon tech will fix it in no time. I'm not fixing that myself, in warranty Nikon can do it for me.

Oh! That very night! Looks like I gave you the curse of the lenses.

Does this mean I'm free? Maybe I'll never break one again the rest of my life. :thumbsup:

11 years 8 months ago #244461 by McBeth Photography

NikaTraveler wrote:

McBeth Photography wrote: Wow sorry about your luck w/lenses, I noticed that two of the incidents involved tripods....here's a tripod recommendation for you.

I'll pass. Not really practical for a nomad... or... well who IS it practical for? Someone shooting in a hurricane?

And 2 lenses were damaged from a bathroom hook. I actually begrudgingly put my bag on the ground or really really double check it before letting it hang for paranoia now.

lol. Well, maybe not a hurricane...but I can freeze the ocean crashing into a rock wall at Boiler Bay, OR in 30-50 mph wind! ;) Very useful for loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnngggggg shutter speeds too, which reminds me I need to put that thing to use now that I'm out of night school! :cheer:

It is what it is.
11 years 8 months ago #244472 by Stealthy Ninja

NikaTraveler wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Years of nothing then the last 2 months I dropped and damaged two.

Oh! That very night! Looks like I gave you the curse of the lenses.

Does this mean I'm free? Maybe I'll never break one again the rest of my life. :thumbsup:

Sorry I did it BEFORE I saw your thread. You still have the cheese lens-breaking touch I'm afraid.

11 years 8 months ago #244477 by bhowdy
I have several "L" lenses .... But you're not getting near them!

My only lens fatality involved both a camera body and a lens. While shooting in a small stream (great morning "God beams" and fog) I got a cramp in my thigh, as I stood to relieve the pain (I was crouched low to the water ....and was in the water) The camera, lens and tripod all suddenly fell over into the creek! Canon 7D and Canon 70-200 f/2.8 II ended up under water.

Ever seen a grown man cry and vomit at the same time? Both ended up DOA. Thankfully a lucid wise moment involving the purchase of full new replacement value insurance and the subsequent check received made things "all better".

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024