HDR photo comparison

11 years 8 months ago #244667 by 1hdr4u
Since I have been working with HDR photography a couple of months ago, I have never ceased to be amazed at the advantage of HDR. I recently took a photo at a nursing facility and am posting all the shots I used to process the photos. As you can see, the dark exposed image shows how clear it looks outside the glass door. The over exposed image clearly shows inside the room. The finished product shows a clear rendition of both in and outdoor shots combined to make the entire photo become visible. I use as most people do, Photomatix Pro. Comments are welcome.

Attachments:
11 years 8 months ago #244691 by Pixelchix
I'm a big fan of hdr but I am puzzled as to why the piano is so bright when none of the shots made it very light to begin with. Really am diggin the reflection on the floor

11 years 8 months ago #244703 by Stealthy Ninja
Well, I'm NOT a big fan of HDR myself. I don't want to be mean, but to me this shot is an example of why. It looks quite unrealistic to my eyes, especially after seeing what it really looks like. The Piano is yellow and has weird texture that's not there in real life and there seems to be a weird glow around everything. To top it off the area around the window is still blown out.

HDR means High Dynamic Range. To me it should be used to increase your dynamic range, not make an unrealistic picture. I know it's fun to play with and heck I did the same thing for a bit. But this shot isn't enhanced by the use of HDR very much IMHO.

These days the dynamic range of cameras is so large that a good RAW file will be able to bring out enough details in a shot that HDR is hardly needed. For the times it is, I'll selectively bring back areas using layers in PS myself.

Lastly from my experimenting Photomatix Pro isn't as good as just using the PS HDR function.

Of course others will come and post after me and probably disagree. So YMMV.
11 years 8 months ago #244718 by John Landolfi
:agree:

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #244753 by Garbo

Pixelchix wrote: I'm a big fan of hdr but I am puzzled as to why the piano is so bright when none of the shots made it very light to begin with. Really am diggin the reflection on the floor

:agree: that reflections makes it so real for me

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #244761 by 1hdr4u

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Well, I'm NOT a big fan of HDR myself. I don't want to be mean, but to me this shot is an example of why. It looks quite unrealistic to my eyes, especially after seeing what it really looks like. The Piano is yellow and has weird texture that's not there in real life and there seems to be a weird glow around everything. To top it off the area around the window is still blown out.

HDR means High Dynamic Range. To me it should be used to increase your dynamic range, not make an unrealistic picture. I know it's fun to play with and heck I did the same thing for a bit. But this shot isn't enhanced by the use of HDR very much IMHO.

These days the dynamic range of cameras is so large that a good RAW file will be able to bring out enough details in a shot that HDR is hardly needed. For the times it is, I'll selectively bring back areas using layers in PS myself.

Lastly from my experimenting Photomatix Pro isn't as good as just using the PS HDR function.

Of course others will come and post after me and probably disagree. So YMMV.

Opinions vary.

11 years 8 months ago #244763 by 1hdr4u

Pixelchix wrote: I'm a big fan of hdr but I am puzzled as to why the piano is so bright when none of the shots made it very light to begin with. Really am diggin the reflection on the floor

I'm not sure why that is either. The only thing I can figure is that the shots I took were raw files to begin with and maybe in the process of downsizing the photos so that I could post them on here may have made them look darker.

11 years 8 months ago #244814 by Scotty

1hdr4u wrote:

I'm not sure why that is either. The only thing I can figure is that the shots I took were raw files to begin with and maybe in the process of downsizing the photos so that I could post them on here may have made them look darker.

Photomatix isnt really known for it's accuracy.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #244820 by Tamgerine
HDR is a great tool for a LOT of reasons, and can produce really stunning photographs for architecture and landscape photography which is what it's used for a lot. It's useful, that's why it's used. It's a way to replicate what the human eye can see when it's not physically possible with one exposure.

However, you CAN use HDR and still create a completely believable photograph. Clearly it's not your thing, which is fine. Everybody has their own tastes in art. Some people crap on the sidewalk and call it art, some people use HDR to the point where my eyeballs bleed.

To each their own.
11 years 8 months ago #244852 by 1hdr4u

Tamgerine wrote: HDR is a great tool for a LOT of reasons, and can produce really stunning photographs for architecture and landscape photography which is what it's used for a lot. It's useful, that's why it's used. It's a way to replicate what the human eye can see when it's not physically possible with one exposure.

However, you CAN use HDR and still create a completely believable photograph. Clearly it's not your thing, which is fine. Everybody has their own tastes in art. Some people crap on the sidewalk and call it art, some people use HDR to the point where my eyeballs bleed.

To each their own.

Opinions vary.

11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #244936 by Tamgerine
Which is...the basics of my post. Yes. But I will say this, accepting critique is part of being not necessarily just a good photographer, but a photographer that progresses and improves their skills over time. If I shouted "opinions vary" at everyone who ever disliked my work or tried to help me improve, well I'd still be a pretty crummy photographer. Eventually everyone just rolls their eyes and offers you nothing but praise, which feels nice, but does nothing for you in the long run.

If someone actually sits down and takes the time to write out a polite and thoughtful critique such as Stealthy Ninja did, it might be nicer to say, "Thanks for the help! I'll take that into consideration," even if you're just going to toss out the suggestions anyway.
11 years 8 months ago #244976 by John Landolfi

Tamgerine wrote: Which is...the basics of my post. Yes. But I will say this, accepting critique is part of being not necessarily just a good photographer, but a photographer that progresses and improves their skills over time. If I shouted "opinions vary" at everyone who ever disliked my work or tried to help me improve, well I'd still be a pretty crummy photographer. Eventually everyone just rolls their eyes and offers you nothing but praise, which feels nice, but does nothing for you in the long run.

If someone actually sits down and takes the time to write out a polite and thoughtful critique such as Stealthy Ninja did, it might be nicer to say, "Thanks for the help! I'll take that into consideration," even if you're just going to toss out the suggestions anyway.

:goodpost: Why post and ask for opinions, when you then dismiss anything other than fulsome praise? Why not engage in a discussion, which may be interesting to others, as well as benefit the participants, if you can explain your reasoning and procedure....

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #244987 by manny212
Some people like it overcooked , some don't . I'm good with that .

11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #245004 by 1hdr4u
Okay I'll say this..you like it your way, I like it mine. If you don't like my style of photography then there's nothing I can do about it. I guess saying I'll take a crap on the sidewalk is good wholesome discussion, isn't it? This is one of the reasons why I sometimes don't care to give some people more of a response. Someone could have politely told me that it's a tad overdone, but no, they have to say take a crap on the sidewalk. As someone else here said, I'm not trying to be mean, but practice what you preach and start acting civil and then maybe you'll get more of a response from people. Unless you're getting paid you can't please everybody so just please yourself. I could give two hoots & a holler if nobody here liked my work because I'm sure yours isn't any better.

11 years 8 months ago #245015 by Scotty
Play nice people. I don't think Tam meant to compare your work to crapping on the sidewalk, and if she did she needs to take a step back and rethink her posts. :)

I don't mind the unnatural look if it's what you're going for. My only problem is the inconsistency of exposure. In the curtains it has a dark spot for no reason above the piano. Outside the door on the right on the siding it has another exposure drop.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024