What's your response to "Digital killed Photography"?

11 years 1 month ago #278345 by Studio Queen
Now I've used film camera's and transitioned to digital with no problems. In our meetup group was a new face, a film photographer who surprisingly was a younger fellow. He seemed almost too nostalgic for his age about digital vs film. Then of course he went on about digital being the death of photography. Most of us just left him alone as he kept going on and on. Humorous at times, but you have to admire is talking skills. LOL he could have been a politician in another life!

How do you respond to someone who claims digital was responsible for killing photography? Though IMO, photography is doing better today then ever.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278347 by hghlndr6
Not every inane opinion requires a response. ;)
11 years 1 month ago #278350 by John37
Did the internal combustion engine kill the wheel? :lol:

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 1 month ago #278351 by Scotty
People have the right to be stupid. :cheers:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278356 by chasrich
Photography killed the cave artist... You hardly ever see anyone drawing their vacation pictures anymore. Shoot most people don't even have a cave! Maybe it was the housing industry that killed cave art???

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 1 month ago #278362 by Joves
Well I seem to hear this from some of the younger crowd who have now chosen to shoot film over digital. Which is fine for them, but I too started when film was all there was, and I do not miss it, nor do I wax nostalgic for those days. Some of the youngsters say that digital is far to sterile, and does not have the same lovely appearance of film. Now granted digital has somewhat diluted photography in a wash of mediocre images that people ooo&ahhh over, but that is mostly due to there being so many truly bad images out there as well. The only thing I have seen digital affect is technique more than anything, because of the fact you can now spry&pray shots to a card without a thought of whether you will run out of space. I too at first with digital did this, but have for many years gone back into a film mode mindset as far as my shooting goes. But no digital has not killed photography, if anything it has made it far better for ease, and made it possible to shoot anytime with the higher ISO capabilities, which is a major improvement. One of these days that youngster will realize how stupid he sounded, as we all have when we were young, and thought we knew everything.

11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #278365 by garyrhook

Joves wrote: Well I seem to hear this from some of the younger crowd who have now chosen to shoot film over digital. Which is fine for them, but I too started when film was all there was, and I do not miss it, nor do I wax nostalgic for those days. Some of the youngsters say that digital is far to sterile, and does not have the same lovely appearance of film.

There was similar carping about digital recording when it first became ubiquitous. How digital sound was brittle and unpleasant. All that was due to being compared to analog recordings that were unfaithful to the original sound coupled with misuse of new recording equipment. The problem isn't the tool, it's the craftsman.

Now granted digital has somewhat diluted photography in a wash of mediocre images that people ooo & ahhh over, but that is mostly due to there being so many truly bad images out there as well. The only thing I have seen digital affect is technique more than anything, because of the fact you can now spray & pray shots to a card without a thought of whether you will run out of space. I too at first with digital did this, but have for many years gone back into a film mode mindset as far as my shooting goes. But no digital has not killed photography, if anything it has made it far better for ease, and made it possible to shoot anytime with the higher ISO capabilities, which is a major improvement. One of these days that youngster will realize how stupid he sounded, as we all have when we were young, and thought we knew everything.

I wonder if the young man has any cogent thoughts that support his assertion? Or is it just complaints about the result of misuse of digital technology (per the above statements)? People often tend to draw conclusions by conflating issues where they should not, but assigning blame for one failure to a completely separate, unrelated cause. It's important to think these things through carefully, but as is so often the case, that does not happen.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278371 by John Landolfi

hghlndr6 wrote: Not every inane opinion requires a response. ;)

+1. I still shoot with film, not often, but I find it useful and refreshing. But I wonder if I would still be working if I had to do it by using a darkroom and printing with an enlarger. :cheers:

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278442 by Ian Stone
:huh:

I'm going to agree with all of you. I think digital would have enhanced the industry

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278443 by Leilanee
...hipsters.

11 years 1 month ago #278452 by AndyCap
I wouldn't say that Digital has killed Photography. I personally think thatmany People have just forgotten what photography is. There are many '' photographers '' who go out, take snapshots, and then spend hours in photoshop.They then post their Pictures as PHOTOs. Any resemblence to the original is hard to find. In its own way Picture Manipulation is an art. It is not photography.
I like to go out. Take my time to compose my ideas. Then I take my photo. It does not always live up to my expectations, but it's an honest photo.
A modern digital camera offers so much aid to the photographer. Even beginners can quickly learn the Basics.
That should help more People to take interest in this great Artform.

11 years 1 month ago #278453 by whiteknight
It's case of let there be light.

The digital light meter is the Histogram, which measure the intensity of light: Luminosity, on the vertical axis. On the horizontal axis, is a scale from 0 to 255 representing the degree of pure black on the left side to the super white on the right side.

This scale is based on the fact that the human eye can only render 255 shades of black and white.

11 years 1 month ago #278454 by whiteknight
If your using film and this assumes film stock is still available and there are processing lab's around. Then you will end up with a set of photograph's.

If you are using a digital format you will end up getting a set of image's.

The digital darkroom is "Photo Shop": You must learn to embrace it to get the best out of your image's.

Adobe Lightroom software is a data base of virtual images: Your original image remains 100% original ie It is non destructive in every sense of the word.

:)

11 years 1 month ago #278457 by whiteknight
Photography is an 'Art Form'. It is a way of showing how we express ourselves on certain subject's.

Digital imagery takes the 'Art Form' onto a higher plane.

Just as 45 RPM Vinyl records gave way to music cassette's, then onto CD Rom's and DVD's.

35mm film photography has also given way to the digital age of camera's.

At least with a digital camera, when you pass through an X- Ray security check point at an airport, the memory card like a hard drive from a laptop, is completely unaffected by the X-Ray's.

Your film camera loaded with film, would become X-Ray effected and all your pictures would become garbage material. That's why X-Ray film bag's were developed, which were lead coated as to protect your film's and film inside camera when X-Ray'ed at the airport.

:) :) :) :) :)

11 years 1 month ago #278462 by Moe
Um, no :blink:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024