How to bid on a retail apparel catalog job?

10 years 5 months ago #307785 by Bill Murphy
There's a medium size retailer here that specializes on trendy name brand clothes and has invited me to come in and look at their inventory to submit a quote to photograph their inventory of apparel for purpose of an online catalog. From what I'm getting told, the job will be ongoing with the first part being the larger more time consuming side of the job. Then each month the photographer will need to come in two times a month to update photos of new inventory.

I'm not sure how to price this and remain competitive. I have been told that others photographers from my area are getting called in to quote on the job too. So I would like to strategically think on how I should approach this. How would you price a job like this when you don't know the number of articles you are doing each month, better yet up front.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #307865 by Joves
Well I personally would figure an hourly rate, and give them the bid based upon hour blocks, of say 2 hours, 4, 6, and so on. Then have the stipulation that anything over the block of time they want is at a certain rate. Also you have to think about usage as well. What they are most likely wanting is a Pro shooter, at a CL price. The real problem with these types of gigs is that they can go really well if the customer has everything ready, or really bad if they do not. They could say that it will take you only 2 hours, when in reality they will have you there for 10 hours, and shooting for 2 hours, and expecting to pay for the 2 hours. You must specify that the clock is running even if you are not shooting, and that there is no such thing as a break. Otherwise you will be screwed.

10 years 5 months ago #308479 by Sawyer
Agree, flat rate could get very dangerous in this case. Play it safe and bid hourly

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309203 by Foggy
100% with out a doubt, I would charge by the hour on this one.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309215 by garyrhook
+1. Hourly, keeping in mind that your rate should include processing time, travel, etc. Don't forget profit. The clock runs whether you're shooting or not. If you want to go with a half-day or full-day rate, plus extra $$/hr overtime, that would be reasonable. But you're likely talking $125 / hr or more.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309641 by Tony Imaging
+1 for hourly

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309709 by Roy Wilson
Anything other than hourly could get out of control for you. How many photos per item do you need to take?

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309979 by Bill Murphy
I submitted an hourly quote for them and was told I would hear back from them soon. Appreciate the help guys, now it's time to wait.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024