Forensic Photography

13 years 3 months ago #25641 by renegade
I am just graduating high school this spring and am new to photography, but already I love it. I'm not really interested in photography as an art form but I want to do something practical with it that will give me a good career. I am interested in science and think I can use both my interests towards one end by becoming a forensics crime photographer.

Does anyone know anything about what schooling I need? Do I need a degree first in science and then work on the photography angle? My dad says as a girl I'll just get bypassed for men wanting the same career.

Any thoughts?

13 years 3 months ago #25691 by Baydream
Find the number for the Montgomery County Police Dept and tell them what you hope to do. A detective may be able to speak about how they operate. They may require a degree in forensic science but they can direct you. Their Forensic Science Sections has a Photography Unit that is responsible for the processing, storage and maintenance of all photographic images and evidence, both digital and 35mm film.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #25693 by Stealthy Ninja
One thought. You'd have to photograph some pretty horrible scenes. Hope you have the stomach for it.
13 years 3 months ago #25921 by Bethie

Stealthy Ninja wrote: One thought. You'd have to photograph some pretty horrible scenes. Hope you have the stomach for it.

:agree: It's one field I know I can not photograph.

13 years 3 months ago #25952 by RajShaktiKaur
Not sure of where you are in the states, but my son was interested in both photography and forensics, too, so hopefully, I can pass some worthwhile info on to you - To get into most forensics depts, you need a degree in FORENSIC science - We took a tour of WVU (West Virginia University) - they are the 2nd best school for forensics, (or were, anyway, at the time he was looking into going there) and also Dr. Henry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice and Forensic Sciences, University of New Haven, West Haven----They are AAFS FEPAC ACCREDITED - They are #1 in the nation for forensics. When my son Bri went to WVU to check out their program, they gave him an awesome private tour. It was pretty neat, because the camera I was carrying at the time, was the same as the one they used to teach their students for field forensics! (It was the Fuji FinePix5100). The reason they used it at that time, it was the only camera that had cropping within the camera, which made it invaluable because once you leave the crime scene, you can't go back and get closer to what you may realize was evidence... (at least that's what we were told...:shrug: ) Anyhow, I would suggest you do what Baydream suggested, also... But most important - Look into the colleges in your area that offer forensic science, it would give you the BEST edge over someone without a degree...

Now, SOME departments just want you to have a background in photography... as a matter of fact, I had just looked into it here, one of our departments here had an ad in the paper - they didn't want a forensics background, they just wanted someone who had an extensive background in photography - at least an associates degree.

I met a gent, about a year ago, who works for the FBI as a forensic photographer... We spoke for a while, and he was very nive - gave me his card for my son, but my son changed his major the second semester, to Criminal Justice - If I can find his card, I will get his info to you. He was very well versed in photography, and had an AWESOME array of camera/lenses (nikon) that were paid for on the national dime, not his!!!
(My son decided to forgo WVU forensics, as there was no way we could afford for him to go out of state, even with the money WVU was going to give him... we'd have had to come up with 35,000 a year more...OY!)... So he went the criminal justice route instead... having a hard time finding a job, right now even though... I wish he HAD specialized, he'd be more employable I think... Whatever you decide, make sure you investigate all options, and what you will need to do to get there... Does your H.S. have a guidance counselor that is knowledgeable in the colleges and universities nearby you and what they have to offer?

OH - and as far as what your dad said regarding a girl in forensics? The only other person who was admitted to the forensics program beside my son as a direct admit, was a young lady... They only admit 2-3 students as a direct admit to the program, annually... so if you are REALLY interested in this, get into your guidance counsellor's office and talk to them ASAP... you will need to take the SAT and also fill out some FAFSA forms so you know what $$ you would be eligible for...

I'm so sorry this is so long... I guess my "mom" personna just got the best of me, lol! Good luck, honey!!! I think if you are determined, you will make a great forensic photographer!!!!

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #25955 by RajShaktiKaur
Ok One last thing... I just saw you are in MD... Look here University of Baltimore.... :Both the M.S. and B.S. programs in criminal justice are among very few programs nationally to be certified by the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences. Also:
University of Maryland University College, Adelphi
Prince George’s Community College, Largo
Anne Arundel Community College
Stevenson University
Community College of Baltimore County
They all have forensics programs!

Hope that helps a bit!

Jt

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #26144 by drescher
The first thing is a must: You MUST become an expert photographer. There are a few schools in forensic photography. It will help if you are detail-oriented as quite a bit of this field is doing close-ups on crime and accident scenes. You don't need a certification but it helps. There are schools on-line that will certify you. Reserach online forensic photograph certifications.

13 years 3 months ago #26146 by ll_cool_l
You do realize it's nothing a glamorous as you see on the CSI TV shows don't you?

13 years 3 months ago #26151 by johnm
I doubt very much if being a female will disqualify you from a job as a forensic photographer. I believe - and I hope - it will be your level of skill whcih will qualify you or not. I must mention that the job will probably entail many crime scenes and accident scenes with some very horrible images. You'll need an iron-cast stomach to handle it.

13 years 3 months ago #26561 by Stealthy Ninja

Stealthy Ninja wrote: One thought. You'd have to photograph some pretty horrible scenes. Hope you have the stomach for it.

johnm wrote: I must mention that the job will probably entail many crime scenes and accident scenes with some very horrible images. You'll need an iron-cast stomach to handle it.

13 years 2 months ago #33232 by vampyre
Renegade, some police departments and crime labs have entry level positions. when you have a degree in photography from an accredited school you might check with an employment agency specializing in civil service jobs. It may require relocation on your part, so be sure you're ready to go where the job is.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024