Canon trade in program vs KEH

10 years 3 months ago #336965 by Jennifer Krueger
Would any of you know how does the Canon trade in program compare to what I might get from KEH for a Canon 7D?  I would like to move to a 5D Mark III.  I'm looking at options, I don't want to sell on Craigslist because I keep reading about people getting hurt after meeting with bad people.  Ebay and PayPal take to much money, leaving services like KEH or I heard that Canon has a trade in program.  Which can I get highest value for my used 7D?

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #336977 by icepics
I think there's a form on KEH's website where you can get an estimate online, or you could call. It seems like they give you an estimated amount then once they receive the camera if the amount varies from the estimate and you wouldn't accept it then it's returned to you. But you might need to check their website to see what policies are current.

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #337007 by effron
You won't be happy with the trade value from KEH, B&H or Adorama. Better to sell to a private party.....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #337045 by Shadowfixer1
KEH will probably offer up to 1/2 of what they are selling them for. Just guessing and from a little experience dealing with them years ago.
10 years 3 months ago #337411 by Alex
I know the people at KEH pretty well, you might not get as much as you would from selling to a private party.  However you'll have peace of mind that the payment you are getting isn't funny money, your safety won't be at risk if you met with them and if you want further assistance, they have a great crew of dedicated people to help you out. 

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #337507 by Shadowfixer1

Alex wrote: I know the people at KEH pretty well, you might not get as much as you would from selling to a private party.  However you'll have peace of mind that the payment you are getting isn't funny money, your safety won't be at risk if you met with them and if you want further assistance, they have a great crew of dedicated people to help you out. 

I agree Alex. They are a very reputable company. I do miss the old days when they had a store down on 14th street in Atlanta. You could see all kinds of camera equipment there. The best part was you could handle what you were looking for. I've used them in the past and recommend them.
10 years 3 months ago #337879 by KENT MELTON
:agree:

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #338051 by Flash Steven

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Alex wrote: I know the people at KEH pretty well, you might not get as much as you would from selling to a private party.  However you'll have peace of mind that the payment you are getting isn't funny money, your safety won't be at risk if you met with them and if you want further assistance, they have a great crew of dedicated people to help you out. 

I agree Alex. They are a very reputable company. I do miss the old days when they had a store down on 14th street in Atlanta. You could see all kinds of camera equipment there. The best part was you could handle what you were looking for. I've used them in the past and recommend them.

Funny how things change, I rarely buy anything in stores these days.  It's all Amazon or other online retailers.  Can you imagine how things will be in 10 years from now?

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #338327 by Tim Chiang

Flash Steven wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Funny how things change, I rarely buy anything in stores these days.  It's all Amazon or other online retailers.  Can you imagine how things will be in 10 years from now?

And it's tough to imagine how commerce will be.  Heck will the internet even be as it is today, or will it be regulated and sliced and diced in segments.   Where to access the entire world, you need to pay for it.  I'm sure some greedy politician or business will come up with internet 'countries'.  :owned:

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #338337 by Baydream
Check into camera clubs in your area. You may find a ready market.  

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #338339 by Tim Chiang

Baydream wrote: Check into camera clubs in your area. You may find a ready market.  

That's a good idea, speaking of such.  Is there a directory that shows what camera clubs are near where we live?  I saw a couple on Meetup, but I'm sure there must be something with more depth than this. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024