Beautiful...8bf and dll usage...(is it ART?)

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #389705 by Awediot
File under "sign o' the times"...  Increasingly, I'm more impressed with the 'tone' or 'feel' or 'preset style' of a photograph than I am the photo itself. What used to require some subtle skill in the technical production of a beautiful image, can now be purchased in the form of rich, vast editing programs and a few mouse clicks which can make most anything appear to be antiquated, silvery black and white or stunningly HDR that looks better than either a photo or a painting... I'm amazed with the designers of the filters we are seeing more and more of, then maybe, hopefully, the artist's eye that conceived the shot, and so far can't be faked...

There are invaluable "how to tutorialize" bits of excellent advice about composing, or polishing, or faking, everywhere... There is little on conceptualizing, staging or angling into a more provocative and interesting subject matter and perspective. As such we face a glut of gorgeous, frame-worthy cliches to match the Lowes design team's latest cutting edge color palettes for 2015, and end up confusing art and decoration.

[tutorial on enhancing creativity pending...]

9 years 9 months ago #389706 by Leilanee
Does this topic have a point or is it just another useless spam sales pitch?

9 years 9 months ago #389709 by Awediot
hmmm...not quite sure what product you may see as being hawked. If anything, is is more anti-product than an ad for one couched in whining about the down side of graphic technology...

My point is I personally would rather see a poorly taken shot of a thought provoking and curious image than a perfectly executed image of another droplet hanging from a rose petal or ideal children frolicking on a beach... I'm not sure how to inspire people to see, then capture the world in a unique way, much less get them to pay me for a bottle of imagination.

9 years 9 months ago #389711 by Stealthy Ninja
No offense OP but a lot of SPAM does sound like this... especially if it's one of your first posts.
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #389716 by Awediot
Why would anyone SPAM with a topic like this?

I find it to be key in the transformation of traditional, "pure" photography, into something that will be radically different in the near future...and there are some pretty profound implications in that. It's an uncomfortable subject that can hit home, hard, for a lot of people who seek out art centered forums like this one. I'm involved in a couple (that don't put much thought into it) and am definitely new here (as directed by ViewBug). The technical and aesthetic side of Photography is in the midst of an evolutionary leap (as is everything else a computer can influence)... The 'artistic', creative and unique side however, seems to be homogenizing in the process and most of the visually beautiful product is starting to all look alike... How many agree, or see it too, I wonder about. If we can do anything to preserve our individual visions and rise above the trend to seem quirky for it's own sake, is a curiosity that gently, relentlessly haunts me... So I spew...SPAM...Troll...provoke...bait...ask...talk... etc.

9 years 9 months ago #389798 by garyrhook
Define "better"?

Frankly, I don't see why we can't have both. Not that I care for IG-ish filters.  Or sun flare. Or blown highlights. Or that "vintage" look. Or selective color. Or overcooked HDR.

I'll stop there.

I'm guessing you were just sharing some thoughts? I think that's OK.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389869 by Awediot
"Better' : approved by more people than previous version / closer to the lowest common denominator.

(realistic cynicism that can't keep up becomes an art in itself)

I'm more an artist who rediscovered photography as a medium a few years ago, and digital editing has become a pallet. The WOW factor in general has been exploding and common shots of rivers and streets and people have taken on a "magical" quality lately...everywhere...accomplished by "regular old", novice photogs... The filters and plugins I can get to work in whatever free programs (Paint, Gimp, etc...) have been more than enough. Photoshop overwhelms and thus insults my senses (and wallet). Recently, I was turned on to to the set of Nik filters, and noticed the same 'feel' I have been seeing proliferate in pictures as a whole... It was a disillusioning a-ha moment. The photography, the "art" wasn't improving so much as the ability to edit was...and that mostly involved the talent of punching in an accurate credit card number.

It's nothing new. Technology sucking the old school soul out of the husks that become another 'lost art', is human nature... It does replace it with new opportunity for creative expression, but THIS seem particularly...cold... That it is mixed with the ability to now also edit reality and create false impressions that have been used politically, not just sell Mountain Dew, leaves a bad taste in my mouth,,,even as I strive to use it better (nothing like embracing your own necessary hypocrisy). "Dark room" has taken on a new, slightly blacker meaning.

Now...do I want to go take some new pictures, or sit here and make old ones better?

9 years 9 months ago #389870 by Awediot
DUH... Both!

"Problem" solved.

What a whiner...

9 years 9 months ago #389876 by Scotty
Faking, editing, masking, cutting, dodge and burning, double exposures, editing style has been around forever.  It's nothing new.  

So it's easier now, that just means you have to raise the bar.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389880 by Awediot
True...it is not new, it is just now rampant...dare I say a necessity. It used to take some real skill and equipment (a studio and education), now, a few practiced clicks... But also true, the learning and skills curve is bottomless.

And yes, the bar also has no ceiling.

I guess this is all just more about my want to see a tutorial on being more creative...and that isn't a click away.

9 years 9 months ago #389885 by Scotty

Awediot wrote: True...it is not new, it is just now rampant...dare I say a necessity. It used to take some real skill and equipment (a studio and education), now, a few practiced clicks... But also true, the learning and skills curve is bottomless.

And yes, the bar also has no ceiling.

I guess this is all just more about my want to see a tutorial on being more creative...and that isn't a click away.

I think you're generalizing too much.

A lot of work out there is mediocre.  

Try out www.davehill.com , www.lik.com , art wolfe etc for some skill.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #389890 by Awediot
I'm definitely generalizing, and know there are exceptions out there that are so good, they seem nearly like proof of aliens living among us... But it is those stuck on the verge of real talent and mind expending creativity that can't get over the hump of letting the tools do it for them that interest me... Shoot UP at the next flower you take...show your next architecture only by reflection or shadow...make a still life of your camera taking a secret photo of itself in the middle of the night while you are asleep... Shoot your smart TV...

Do you want your viewer to think 'great photograph' or 'amazing shot'?

Do we consider the difference often enough?

[oops...or "mind expanding"... Some freudian slips work to well to correct...]

9 years 9 months ago #389892 by Scotty

Awediot wrote: I'm definitely generalizing, and know there are exceptions out there that are so good, they seem nearly like proof of aliens living among us... But it is those stuck on the verge of real talent and mind expending creativity that can't get over the hump of letting the tools do it for them that interest me... Shoot UP at the next flower you take...show your next architecture only by reflection or shadow...make a still life of your camera taking a secret photo of itself in the middle of the night while you are asleep... Shoot your smart TV...

Do you want your viewer to think 'great photograph' or 'amazing shot'?

Do we consider the difference often enough?

[oops...or "mind expanding"... Some freudian slips work to well to correct...]

It's just a tool.  It's more accessible now so you will see a flood of one click editing.  

I see it as more doors have been opened though.  Nature of the beast.  

Welcome to the boards btw.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #389905 by Awediot
Agreed... "flood of what exactly?" has become an increasingly relevant and expanding question in my mind as reality goes virtual in ways, and with implications, I think we are underestimating and rushing headlong into. The impact on Photography is a drop in the bucket, but also where it rises to the surface.

Editing (global enhancing a pic, like I'[m talking about here) leads to the topic of real chopping and manufacturing images that can be done so well that it is deceptive. The wild trend of creating crazy hyper-realism we all knew as computer art is fading as a more sophisticated ability to add people to a political rally, chop out the garbage surrounding an Olympic venue or make you look super hot, young and datable is done intentionally to manipulate the masses... Photoshopping is getting political, and these simple one click fixes do open the door to that world I don't see being discussed...even among those like us who are greasing the hinges.

Okay...spam done...narrow focus, check...generalized into broad brush stroke... Commence mountaining from molehill...

And thanks. Glad to find a large community of artsy types who actually like to chat as well... Worth1000 doesn't appreciate my apparent DRAMA...

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #389912 by Stealthy Ninja

Awediot wrote: Agreed... "flood of what exactly?" has become an increasingly relevant and expanding question in my mind as reality goes virtual in ways, and with implications, I think we are underestimating and rushing headlong into. The impact on Photography is a drop in the bucket, but also where it rises to the surface.

Editing (global enhancing a pic, like I'[m talking about here) leads to the topic of real chopping and manufacturing images that can be done so well that it is deceptive. The wild trend of creating crazy hyper-realism we all knew as computer art is fading as a more sophisticated ability to add people to a political rally, chop out the garbage surrounding an Olympic venue or make you look super hot, young and datable is done intentionally to manipulate the masses... Photoshopping is getting political, and these simple one click fixes do open the door to that world I don't see being discussed...even among those like us who are greasing the hinges.

Okay...spam done...narrow focus, check...generalized into broad brush stroke... Commence mountaining from molehill...

And thanks. Glad to find a large community of artsy types who actually like to chat as well... Worth1000 doesn't appreciate my apparent DRAMA...

Well that's just wrong.  Obviously the shut brass declines with your molecule. HDR is merely the manifestation of said shut brass molecule of indignation that, while combining a cacophony of parody and cliche, is really the decay that retracts throughout another comprehensive angle. A battery of evidence rolls against this concrete fallacy of yours.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024