Gone for 11 years, now back and need help picking photo gear

9 years 3 months ago #420364 by Jakov Barnes
Understood, thank you for stating.  Now I've seen some people talking about these mirrorless cameras.  I've also noticed some expressing not so exciting views about these cameras.  Some state these are the future of photography while others shrug this off.  

The problem with the internet, is that it's so difficult to weed out what is what.  

Are mirrorless cameras like HDR?  lol this was a statement someone else made that I read.  Seriously what's the good, bad and ugly about these cameras?  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #420372 by KCook

Jakov Barnes wrote: Understood, thank you for stating.  Now I've seen some people talking about these mirrorless cameras.  I've also noticed some expressing not so exciting views about these cameras.  Some state these are the future of photography while others shrug this off.  

In the far future this may well take place.  The question then becomes "How far"?

The problem with the internet, is that it's so difficult to weed out what is what.  

Are mirrorless cameras like HDR?  lol this was a statement someone else made that I read.

No, HDR is more popular. :silly:   From all reports mirrorless is catching on fast in Asia, not so fast at all in the West.

Seriously what's the good, bad and ugly about these cameras?  

Good way to start a war on some sites.  I shoot with both, so both sides get to take shots at me.  Linkys -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/digital-ca...4-mirrorless-cameras

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...s-mirrorless-cameras

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...e-just-sony-and-fuji

movingtarget

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 3 months ago #420380 by Jakov Barnes
I wonder why that is?  Why is Asia picking up on this technology more than the U.S.?  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420381 by John Landolfi

Jakov Barnes wrote: I wonder why that is?  Why is Asia picking up on this technology more than the U.S.?  

Aren't we trying to help the OP with his original question? What does this have to do with it? Start another thread if you want to discuss mirrorless cameras

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420396 by Jakov Barnes

John Landolfi wrote:

Jakov Barnes wrote: I wonder why that is?  Why is Asia picking up on this technology more than the U.S.?  

Aren't we trying to help the OP with his original question? What does this have to do with it? Start another thread if you want to discuss mirrorless cameras

:blink:   I am the original poster.  Scroll up to see how this started.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420433 by KCook

Dunno whether the difference is cultural, or commercial distribution, or both.  More speculation -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...about-olympus#198904

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 3 months ago #420478 by Janos
Once you narrow down your search, you should go into a camera store and handle some of the cameras to finalize which direction you want to go. 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420491 by Screamin Scott
What brand did you use before ?. Did you like it ?. Best to go to  a store & handle the different models & see what "feels" right in your hands as ergonomics means a lot...Best not to go with a "base" model regardless of the brand as you will likely find them too limiting...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420504 by Jakov Barnes
I had a Canon and a Pentax, however that was so long ago and cameras have changes so much.  So don't mind starting from square one.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420523 by KCook
There is some continuity for Canon and Pentax.  This is also true for Nikon, but everything on a Nikon is backwards from a Canon or Pentax.  You twist the opposite direction to lock the lens on, etc, etc.  Sony is the most adventurous, if you are seeking a brand that is trying different approaches.  Fujifilm is deliciously retro, even though they were not making SLRs back in the old days.  I view Olympus as the Avis to Canon's Hertz.  Slick like Canon, slightly downscale from Canon.  It's fun that we now have so many choices!

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 3 months ago #420541 by Screamin Scott
Pentax (like Nikon) retains more backwards compatibility with older manual focus lenses. Those older lenses can be "Pro" quality, without the price tag of newer gear with AF & all the bells & whistles that they come with. Canon & Minolta (who Sony bought out) changed their mounts when they went to AF systems....I shoot Nikon & utilize many older "Pro" lenses. I don't mind manual focusing & I like that I save lots of money. Sure, there are situations where AF is an advantage, but I have AF lenses for those situations. Mind you though, that base model cameras will be much more limited in features & compatibility with older lenses.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420545 by Jakov Barnes
Again, thank you all for the continued input.  

What do you think about the Nikon Df?  I kind of like the modern camera in old school body. 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #420546 by Screamin Scott
Love the looks & features of the Nikon Df camera but I feel it is overpriced...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420571 by effron
Lots of good advice here if you can sort it out. What you need to do is buy into a system and LEARN to use it. Nikon, Canon, Sony, or Fuji, they are ALL capable for what you want to do. You won't make any great photos talking about it.........B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #421314 by Jakov Barnes
Thank you everyone, this has been very helpful

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024