What is most expensive photo ever sold?

7 years 4 months ago #513194 by Glen Martin
Anyone happen to know what is the most expensive photo that has been sold?  I know some are public and others that are sold in private auctions.  

Who knows the answer to this?  

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #513199 by Jennifer Krueger
Looks like Peter Lik still has that title:   www.photographytalk.com/photography-arti...hotographs-ever-sold  

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #513212 by icepics
Supposedly... but the price has apparently not been verified. Art including photographs are sold thru galleries, auctions, etc. There is a record of sale that can be verified by the gallery or auction house.

Lik sells his photos thru his own galleries so there is no auctioneer or gallery owner to verify selling prices. Now that some of his photographs are being sold in the secondary art market, they are selling way below the value set by him and his galleries when first purchased by the buyers.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #513279 by Richard K Photography
How did Peter Lik get started anyway?  I mean seriously, how do you go from selling photos at $XXXX price to selling photos for in the millions?

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #513283 by Shadowfixer1

Richard K Photography wrote: How did Peter Lik get started anyway?  I mean seriously, how do you go from selling photos at $XXXX price to selling photos for in the millions?

It's called marketing. I read an article and it was very interesting how the sales people in his galleries operate and get you to buy in as an "investment". Fools gold.
7 years 4 months ago #513337 by Vahrenkamp
Actually that is a good question, how did he get his start?  

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #513409 by Shadowfixer1

Vahrenkamp wrote: Actually that is a good question, how did he get his start?  

Read away.
www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/business/pete...rint-money.html?_r=0
7 years 4 months ago #513523 by Owen
I would love to sell a print for even a fraction of that!  

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #513639 by rogdel
Thought it was that Gursky pic...I have to say that the new most expensive image is pretty magnificent, though. Would love to sell prints for that sort of money.

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #514058 by joirv
A nice picture, but not so sure that it's worth the $6.5M price tag

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #514113 by Neil Dulay
Peter Lik's "One" photo.  Did you hear that he look that photo as a casual 'snap' of camera while walking near a pond, with the camera down by his waist?

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #514145 by Richard Taylor
All I know is that it wasn't me!  

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #514152 by Tammy B
It's pretty interesting to see what sort of stuff sells. Nevertheless, it's hard to imagine being able to afford a photo with that sort of price tag.

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #514168 by Shadowfixer1
If I had to guess, I would say the mail in rebate for that sale was probably within about 5,000 of the sale price. B)
7 years 3 months ago #514349 by Hoss

Shadowfixer1 wrote: If I had to guess, I would say the mail in rebate for that sale was probably within about 5,000 of the sale price. B)

Ah, at first I was thinking no way.  But then it makes sense.  By doing that, and getting all the press that he did, would you agree that raised the value of his photos.  So what if, him and his team set this up with the intent to prime the market that his photos are worth that much.  Therefor creating a false market.  

Just my 3.5 cents!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024