Dropped my glass 165mm Formatt Hitech 6stop ND

6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #531675 by Alex
I managed to get out shooting yesterday morning.  As many of you know, I enjoy shooting seascapes and getting right up in the action.  Long story short, I was timing my shots between these huge waves hitting up against the rocks at Victorias Beach Tower, Laguna Beach.

My exposure time ranged between 3-8 seconds.  So getting in and out before a wave hit was doable.  Well, that was only after learning the hard way when a sneaky wave got me.  Literally head to toe soaked.  Including my only microfiber cloth and t-shirt I was wearing.  

I went out with just my D810, 14-24mm and (2) 165mm ND filters.  With 1 filter (10 stop ND) soaked and no way to dry and remove water spots.  I had 1 filter left over that was packed away and not wet.  If this one got wet, I was done for the day.  

Game on

I managed to set up, and get out a few times more.  Each time missing the waves breaking up against the rocks I was on.  Then I decided to get greedy and go for a 8 second exposure.  You know, to see how it looked.  Just after I clicked the shutter and waiting for the 8 seconds to go by, I see a huge wave rolling in.  I had my hands on the tripod and camera, ready to pick up and run the instant I heard the shutter click.   {CLICK}  

Forrest Gump would have been proud of my sprint to dry land!  The wave missed me, however just as I was coming to a stop.  The glass filter slipped out, and fell 4 feet.  OUCH!  To be honest, I'm surprised this thing didn't shatter into a million pieces.  Highly recommend these filters ( Formatt Hitech 165 x 165mm Firecrest ND 1.8 Filter ).  Not only are they great for wider focal lengths, they are durable!  

Looks likely a little electric tape and hot glue will be the fix for this!  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
6 years 10 months ago #531684 by effron
Ouch!...What holder are you using, mine is adjustable and I wouldn't tolerate a filter just dropping out. Hope that doesn't render the filter unusable......:(

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #531691 by Jim Photo
That's a big filter!  

How do carry those around when not in use?  I've dropped a glass filter a couple years ago, and that was only a 100mm.  It shattered!  You lucked out.  I bet that should be fine.

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #531703 by Screamin Scott
Count your blessings Alex !!!

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #531704 by ShutterPal
Agree, that could have ended much differently!  At least that filter will see another day!

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #531711 by Alex

effron wrote: Ouch!...What holder are you using, mine is adjustable and I wouldn't tolerate a filter just dropping out. Hope that doesn't render the filter unusable......:(

This one:  www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home...g&is=REG&sku=1235325

But I didn't have the barn doors on it at that time.  I think it will be fine.  I won't let that happen again!  

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #531771 by Kenya See
Oh no!  I'm sorry to hear that.  So why glass over resin?  Seems like resin will last longer?

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #531804 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #531921 by Overread
That was a close call Alex.  From the looks of the photo, that shouldn't effect using it.

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #531944 by Don Granger
Sorry to hear about this Alex.  BTW how are you carrying those filters around?  I'm on the market for a set and haven't figured out how I would carry these around. 

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #531969 by Alex
Hey Don, I'm using a regular messenger bag that I've owned for a number of years to hold the filters.  It's a 'Man purse' that I use to use for carrying around my iPad.  Now days, I use it to carry diapers for my son, or filters! 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024