Prime lens question

13 years 2 months ago #27600 by KenMan
Now if I have 70-300mm lens, what is the benefit of having something like a 105mm prime lens? I have seen a number of you talking about this lens and the 85mm here. What's the purpose of these when a 70-300mm for example as both 85mm and 105mm covered?

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27603 by Baydream
Most prime lenses are "faster". Your zoom may have a low f/stop of 45. but many primes are in the range of 1.2 to 1.8. This will allow better low light images, In addition, zoom lenses, because of all the elements needed, are not as "sharp" near the low and high ends, whereas a prime will deliver sharper images.
They are also much lighter than zooms.
I have a 50mm prime which is equivalent to an 80 on a full frame camera but is so much better when the light is low.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27611 by Screamin Scott
The 105mm lens is likely a "macro" lens & the zoom will not even come close to being able to focus as close, have as flat a field (for corner to corner sharpness) or as good a resolution as the prime lens. The 85mm lens was a standard portrait lens length back in film days & while some Pro zooms will come close in IQ the 70-300 won't as it's a consumer grade lens....Plus as John has already mentioned, the lens speed & weight are other factors...When they design a zoom lens, they strike a balance in terms of IQ, etc as due to the laws of optics, you can't design a lens to be excellent in one aspect without suffering in another...Zooms were meant to be a "jack of all trades, but master of none " when they were first introduced. They have come a long way since they were introduced though & some will equal the IQ of a prime lens, but at a substantial cost ($$$) to the user

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27645 by Joves
The 105 Micro is a very good lens for both macro and general use. Zooms never really beat out primes, they are what I call convience lenses.

13 years 2 months ago #27804 by Scotty
Primes are also good for composition exercises because they make you foot zoom, instead of zoom your lens (it keeps the distortion).

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27853 by KenMan
Thank you everyone. So let me ask you this, if someone has a 105mm, what would be the need for a 85mm?

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27857 by Screamin Scott
GAS (Gear Acquistion Syndrome)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27859 by KenMan

Screamin Scott wrote: GAS (Gear Acquistion Syndrome)

I was going to ask what were you talking about, but I just got it as I was typing out my response to you! LOL that would make a good thread here! I'm going to start that one. :beerbang:

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27920 by Yasko

KenMan wrote: Thank you everyone. So let me ask you this, if someone has a 105mm, what would be the need for a 85mm?

Depends on what model of 105 they have. If it's the modern autofocus model, it's the f2.8 one, and some portrait photographers want even wider aperature than that. 85mm lenses can be found in f1.2, 1.4, and 1.8 models, which will give you even nicer background blur.

Nikon does have an old manual focus 105mm f1.8 model however. That'd be a great find!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024