Any applications where mirrorless are better option over DSLR?

2 years 5 months ago #602417 by Ben Vanderbilt
Just read a few mirror related threads here today.  This got me thinking about the titled question.  So are there any applications where mirrorless cameras are legitimately the better option over DSLR?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 5 months ago #602424 by Nikon Shooter
AFAIAC, silent shooting in court room…
but I don't do that anymore.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

2 years 5 months ago #602446 by effron
Weddings....example the quite loud mirror slap on my D700. The mirrorless cameras are coming of age.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 years 5 months ago #602449 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Ben

Certainly the mechanical shutter in a mirrorless is only 1/5 to 1/10 the kplunk of a mirror going off, and of course the electronic shutter is silent ... to the point that the camera maker artificially sets a soft 'beep' to tell me / the user that something has actually happened

The other big issue for mirrorless is the huge advantages of the EVF - whereby it can alternate between showing you nothing beyond the image or everything with all the camera settings, even those you've never thought of, or 2 or 3 options in between. It also lightens in dark zones and darkens in bright zones - something that is absolutely 'magic' once you've seen it happen a few times

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 years 5 months ago #602553 by garyrhook
As noted above, there are function differences that can help with certain applications. Primarily where silence is useful (courts, concerts, plays). The D850 has a silent mode, which is one compelling reason for me to acquire one.

Can't think of much else where one has a strong advantage (all else being equal).

Photo Comments

2 years 5 months ago #602581 by KCook
Against a feature rich DSLR like the D850, not so many advantages. It's at the semi-pro level that some mirrorless can have a few advantages over a semi-pro DSLR. In most cases there are more variations between mirrorless designs than between DSLR designs. Although the new Canon RF and Nikon Z are remarkably similar.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

2 years 5 months ago #602598 by Shadowfixer1
The main advantage of a DSLR at this time is sports/action. Once the focus tracking catches up to the high end DSLR's, mirrorless will become the standard camera and DSLR's will begin to fade away just like film cameras did. Slowly at first, then none left. 

2 years 5 months ago #602761 by Frost Photography
Not to mention weight.  So travelers are doing to dig the mirrorless over the heavier DSLR

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments

2 years 5 months ago #602920 by Todd Phillips
None other than those that have been mentioned already.  Weight is the big one for me. 

2 years 5 months ago #603128 by Flash Steven
I think in the next 5 years we are going to see a major shift in mirrorless from DSLR.  More people will be shifting, just because it's the newest technology.  So regardless of what applications are on the table, it's the future.  

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments

2 years 5 months ago #603174 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Steven

I have been seeing & noting other industry comments for the past 2 or 3 years all of which have been saying that "5-years from now all new (consumer level) dSLRs will be mirrorless". We're half way thru that predicted time period

2 years 5 months ago #603182 by Shadowfixer1

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day Steven

I have been seeing & noting other industry comments for the past 2 or 3 years all of which have been saying that "5-years from now all new (consumer level) dSLRs will be mirrorless". We're half way thru that predicted time period

I don't think that statement should have been made until now. With Nikon and Canon entering the mirrorless realm, I think the clock starts on DSLR's now.

2 years 5 months ago #603241 by effron

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I don't think that statement should have been made until now. With Nikon and Canon entering the mirrorless realm, I think the clock starts on DSLR's now.

Yup, and the next couple mirrorless generations will be quite telling. I like what I'm seeing....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 years 5 months ago #603332 by Ozzie_Traveller

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day Steven

I don't think that statement should have been made until now. With Nikon and Canon entering the mirrorless realm, I think the clock starts on DSLR's now.

G'day mate ... perhaps my word 'statement' would have been better as 'predicting'
What I read these commentators as saying was that mirrorless SLRs would take over almost as fast as film disappeared a decade ago
Phil

2 years 5 months ago #603351 by Jared-Weaver
Mirrorless cameras are fairly well established these days with most having an extensive lens and accessory lineup along with a few generations of proven design. I'd say that mirrorless cameras, now that Canon and Nikon are onboard will rapidly replace DLSRs in the very near future. I would not have said this 5 years ago when mirrorless cameras had issues with their enormous OLED screens devouring your battery. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony ZV-1 review, learn all about its specs, features, build and handling, video performance, price, and more.

Feb 24, 2021

The Ricoh GR III is a little-known compact camera that might be just the ticket for you if you want a small, portable, and easy-to-use camera.

Feb 19, 2021

The Sony a7S III is a video-first full frame camera with a hefty price tag. Is it worth the price of admission? Get all the details in this Sony a7S III review.

Feb 18, 2021

In this Nikon Z7 II review learn how this new camera is similar to the original Z7 and how it makes improvements upon the original.

Feb 16, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this Sony ZV-1 review, learn all about its specs, features, build and handling, video performance, price, and more.

Feb 24, 2021

If you want to try your hand at abstract photography, use these abstract photography ideas for a source of inspiration and creativity.

Feb 24, 2021

Which monitor panel types should you invest in? In this monitor buying guide, learn a few tips for getting the best monitor for photo editing.

Feb 23, 2021

Marketing for photography businesses can take up a ton of time, so you want to do it right and do so without taking up your entire day. Use these beginner marketing tips to help point you in the right direction.

Feb 23, 2021

If a photography tripod is too cumbersome for you, you can learn how to stabilize a camera with any number of tripod substitutes.

Feb 22, 2021

Use this real estate photography gear list to learn about some of the most critical pieces of kit you need to take the highest-quality real estate photos.

Feb 22, 2021

If you aren't sure how to get feedback from clients, check out these simple solutions for your photography business.

Feb 19, 2021

The Ricoh GR III is a little-known compact camera that might be just the ticket for you if you want a small, portable, and easy-to-use camera.

Feb 19, 2021