Any applications where mirrorless are better option over DSLR?

5 years 7 months ago #602417 by Ben Vanderbilt
Just read a few mirror related threads here today.  This got me thinking about the titled question.  So are there any applications where mirrorless cameras are legitimately the better option over DSLR?

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602424 by Nikon Shooter
AFAIAC, silent shooting in court room…
but I don't do that anymore.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602446 by effron
Weddings....example the quite loud mirror slap on my D700. The mirrorless cameras are coming of age.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602449 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Ben

Certainly the mechanical shutter in a mirrorless is only 1/5 to 1/10 the kplunk of a mirror going off, and of course the electronic shutter is silent ... to the point that the camera maker artificially sets a soft 'beep' to tell me / the user that something has actually happened

The other big issue for mirrorless is the huge advantages of the EVF - whereby it can alternate between showing you nothing beyond the image or everything with all the camera settings, even those you've never thought of, or 2 or 3 options in between. It also lightens in dark zones and darkens in bright zones - something that is absolutely 'magic' once you've seen it happen a few times

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 7 months ago #602553 by garyrhook
As noted above, there are function differences that can help with certain applications. Primarily where silence is useful (courts, concerts, plays). The D850 has a silent mode, which is one compelling reason for me to acquire one.

Can't think of much else where one has a strong advantage (all else being equal).

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602581 by KCook
Against a feature rich DSLR like the D850, not so many advantages. It's at the semi-pro level that some mirrorless can have a few advantages over a semi-pro DSLR. In most cases there are more variations between mirrorless designs than between DSLR designs. Although the new Canon RF and Nikon Z are remarkably similar.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 7 months ago #602598 by Shadowfixer1
The main advantage of a DSLR at this time is sports/action. Once the focus tracking catches up to the high end DSLR's, mirrorless will become the standard camera and DSLR's will begin to fade away just like film cameras did. Slowly at first, then none left. 
5 years 7 months ago #602761 by Frost Photography
Not to mention weight.  So travelers are doing to dig the mirrorless over the heavier DSLR

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602920 by Todd Phillips
None other than those that have been mentioned already.  Weight is the big one for me. 

5 years 7 months ago #603128 by Flash Steven
I think in the next 5 years we are going to see a major shift in mirrorless from DSLR.  More people will be shifting, just because it's the newest technology.  So regardless of what applications are on the table, it's the future.  

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #603174 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Steven

I have been seeing & noting other industry comments for the past 2 or 3 years all of which have been saying that "5-years from now all new (consumer level) dSLRs will be mirrorless". We're half way thru that predicted time period

5 years 7 months ago #603182 by Shadowfixer1

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day Steven

I have been seeing & noting other industry comments for the past 2 or 3 years all of which have been saying that "5-years from now all new (consumer level) dSLRs will be mirrorless". We're half way thru that predicted time period

I don't think that statement should have been made until now. With Nikon and Canon entering the mirrorless realm, I think the clock starts on DSLR's now.
5 years 7 months ago #603241 by effron

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I don't think that statement should have been made until now. With Nikon and Canon entering the mirrorless realm, I think the clock starts on DSLR's now.

Yup, and the next couple mirrorless generations will be quite telling. I like what I'm seeing....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #603332 by Ozzie_Traveller

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day Steven

I don't think that statement should have been made until now. With Nikon and Canon entering the mirrorless realm, I think the clock starts on DSLR's now.

G'day mate ... perhaps my word 'statement' would have been better as 'predicting'
What I read these commentators as saying was that mirrorless SLRs would take over almost as fast as film disappeared a decade ago
Phil

5 years 7 months ago #603351 by Jared-Weaver
Mirrorless cameras are fairly well established these days with most having an extensive lens and accessory lineup along with a few generations of proven design. I'd say that mirrorless cameras, now that Canon and Nikon are onboard will rapidly replace DLSRs in the very near future. I would not have said this 5 years ago when mirrorless cameras had issues with their enormous OLED screens devouring your battery. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024