Turning camera on & off. Will you do it all the time?

5 years 6 months ago #611141 by Rick Larin
I'm pretty religious about turning on and off my camera for just about everything.  I have friends who never turn their cameras off, even when changing lenses or adding their flash.  Not even when putting their camera in their bag.  I was telling them earlier doing so will reduce having to clean the sensor as much.  

Care to share though views on this?

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611147 by Nikon Shooter
When it comes to changing lenses and flashes, I would not use
the word religious for me but I understand what you mean.

I turn on the camera at the beginning of any session and off until
the next… in between, the it is configured to turn itself off after a
short while.

In short, if the camera is on off, nothing will be activated, not even
by the trigger. When it is on, it will activate with the trigger and turn
itself off after some second.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #611149 by effron
I leave mine on days at a time, unless I'm changing a lens, then it goes off. Yes, it has a sleep mode which has saved me a battery more than a few times.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611153 by garyrhook
The camera essentially turns itself off. More a sleep mode, I suppose, as stated above.

You're supposed to turn if off when changing lenses. It's not clear to me that really helps dispel static charge, however. Most of the time I forget.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611266 by Jacob Fisher
I shut mine off immediately after use or when changing battery or lens.  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611269 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Rick

For me - I always power 'off' whenever the camera is not in use. During a shooting session or bushwalk or whatever, it is set to 'sleep' mode after 5 minutes, but if I know that I will not need it for a while then 'off' it goes

As to the unasked question - does this wear out the switch - I dunno. I have only had one camera fail from the on/off switch, it was my original Fuji S5000 and it stopped after 96000 images over 5 yrs, so I just had to shrug my shoulders and put it away

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 6 months ago #611283 by icepics
I flip mine off and on all the time. Usually after taking a set of photos I'll turn it off til I'm ready to take more pictures. It varies how many or for how long, just depends on what I'm doing.

That's when using my digital camera that is; also being a film photographer if I'm using a mechanical camera (that only uses a battery for the meter) there is no on and off!

Sharon
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611284 by Joslyn
I'll flick mine off when changing lenses, or adding the flash.  When I'm doing, it get's shut off as well.  Always.   Which reminds me that I need to clean my sensor.  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611291 by NewavaMike
I have been turning mine off when I change a lens or if I know there will be an extended time between taking more shots as I move, but I always turn it off at the end of the day when it goes back into the bag

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611301 by Amy Porter
I would guess 97% of the time I remember to turn off the camera when I swap out my lens.   There have been a number of times that I accidentally forgot.  Speaking of which, what happens when camera is left on when you remove the lens?  Is the sensor positively charged and attracts dust?  Did I recall correctly?

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611368 by garyrhook

Amy Porter wrote: Speaking of which, what happens when camera is left on when you remove the lens?  Is the sensor positively charged and attracts dust?

Allegedly.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611376 by effron

garyrhook wrote:

Amy Porter wrote: Speaking of which, what happens when camera is left on when you remove the lens?  Is the sensor positively charged and attracts dust?

Allegedly.

Yeah, I've done it a hundred times, also removed and inserted memory cards, removed battery when on, etc.....Proof these cameras may have been engineered to be at least a little "idiot proof".

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611450 by Justin Cramer
Same here.  Always shut it off for the most part. 

Now out of curiosity, can you set how long till the camera shuts off when not in use?  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611453 by garyrhook

Justin Cramer wrote: Same here.  Always shut it off for the most part. 

Now out of curiosity, can you set how long till the camera shuts off when not in use?  

I don't think so on Nikon DSLRs.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611470 by CaptNemo
Habit for me.  That sucker is always shut off when I set my camera down or when swapping out a lens. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024