Since when did Amazon start making photography filters?

5 years 3 months ago #623822 by Peter P
Amazon makes filters now?

www.amazon.com/dp/B00XNMWU78/ref=cm_sw_e...t_dp_U_0iSlCbMZ8YEX2

$5.99 for a UV filter, cheap as ever, so wouldn't be something I would buy.  But find it surprising that they make filters now too! 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623845 by Nikon Shooter
Like many house brands that many traders and retailers
created or use, products are made somewhere by some
makers no one can get no info about and sold through
through Amazon, B&H, Adorama… etc.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623917 by Peter P

Nikon Shooter wrote: Like many house brands that many traders and retailers
created or use, products are made somewhere by some
makers no one can get no info about and sold through
through Amazon, B&H, Adorama… etc.

Yeah, just surprised to see filters made by Amazon.  LOL 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623921 by Nikon Shooter

Peter P wrote: Yeah, just surprised to see filters made by Amazon.  LOL 

Not made but sold as house brand, Peter.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623949 by icepics
I've seen other products listed as Amazon Basics; I don't know who manufacturers them. I would imagine 'Basic' is the key word there! But I agree, rather surprising to see them having filters made; other items I'd expect.

Sharon
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623965 by Studio Queen
Kind of not surprised.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624348 by Jared-Weaver
Yikes, avoid at all costs. Nothing like ruining your photos by putting a cheap piece of glass on your lens. 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624373 by fmw

Jared-Weaver wrote: Yikes, avoid at all costs. Nothing like ruining your photos by putting a cheap piece of glass on your lens. 

How expensive should a flat piece of optical glass be?

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624376 by Nikon Shooter

fmw wrote: How expensive should a flat piece of optical glass be?

There we go again… the keyword: optical glass. These guys are
not created equal; chemical composition, complex layered coat-
ing and the ring mount — among others — all add to the cost of 
the end product offered behind the counter.

As far as I know, there is so much room to cheat in there for good
market branders that, once more, testing is where the right balan-
ce between price and description on the package will be revealed.

This is not meant for you  fmw  but is just a confirmation and exten-
tion for the benefit of the forum members.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624378 by fmw

Nikon Shooter wrote:

fmw wrote: How expensive should a flat piece of optical glass be?

There we go again… the keyword: optical glass. These guys are
not created equal; chemical composition, complex layered coat-
ing and the ring mount — among others — all add to the cost of 
the end product offered behind the counter.

As far as I know, there is so much room to cheat in there for good
market branders that, once more, testing is where the right balan-
ce between price and description on the package will be revealed.

This is not meant for you  fmw  but is just a confirmation and exten-
tion for the benefit of the forum members.

I don't doubt that one can spend more money manufacturing one filter over another.  I'm just wondering how much it matters.  In my experience, it doesn't matter all that much.  I have no experience with the filters in the OP.  I'm just not sure they would affect images negatively compared to some other filter.  Reminds me of expensive watches that don't tell time any better than lesser ones. 

Back in the film days when we used a lot of filters, the most expensive ones I owned were made by B+W and Leitz.  I had a lot more filters made by Kenko, Hoya and other similar brands.  Did the expensive filters outperform the less expensive ones?  Not in my experience.  I can understand why the high end brands would make a photographer feel better but feeling better about filters was never important to me.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624494 by Jared-Weaver
Cheap filters are known to degrade image quality, increase flaring, leak light and scratch easily. Most of them also have a strong warm or cool color cast or in the case of Cokin, magenta (good luck editing that out). So I would say that "optical glass" should be of the highest quality and therefore extremely expensive. I recently received some Breakthrough Photography magnetic filters for Christmas and they blew my B+W filters out of the water in terms of image sharpness and color neutrality. 

Why screw a layer of garbage glass over a carefully crafted professional lens? 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624588 by fmw
I asked for a definition of how expensive a filter should be but still don't have one.  Can you share the results of your tests of filters?  Is your position motivated by personal experience or by someone else's  personal opinion?  Do the Amazon branded filters quality as "garbage" to the point of destroying a photo?   How are they rated by Amazon customers?  I've read your opinion from all kinds of photographers but haven't experienced any of it in my half century of photography.  Have I been lucky?

I'll answer your question of why would one screw a garbage filter to the front of a professional lens.  The answer is to produce the desired filtration of the light.  If the filter truly is garbage then it should be thrown away.  Can you name some "garbage" brands that have been tested and deemed to be "garbage.?"

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624621 by Jared-Weaver
The most clear and carefully crafted filters that are as close to color neutral as possible can run anywhere between $160 and $500 depending on whether it's round or square, ND or GND, hard edge or soft edge, radial, adjustable ND, ect. They can be VERY expensive, but the advantages in my experience are noticable.

I've shot with low end Cokin square filters, mid-grade B+W filters and with my new pro grade Breakthrough filters. You won't see much difference in an internet quality image, but you will notice a huge difference during editing and printing. Here's what I found. 

Cokin- Made of resin. Noticable magenta cast that is difficult to edit out. Images we're unsharp and distorted due to the poor quality filters becoming warped over time. Lots of light leak coming through the low quality filter holder. 

B+W Pro- Don't be fooled by a pro label, these are mid-grade due to the noticable color cast of their ND filters. I used a 3 stop ND and a polarizer. The ND had a warm cast that could be easily edited out. Overall, it made image softer than shooting without the filter. The polarizer was of questionable quality for a "pro" series filter. It reduced incoming light by about 2 stops and produced overall soft images. Both filters did have coatings that reduced flare and made cleaning easier which was a nice upgrade from my easily scratched Cokins. 

Breakthrough Photography- 25 year warranty, nuff said. I have the magnetic series and I can't praise these enough. Tack sharp, almost totally color neutral with a VERY minor warm cast, multiple coatings that eliminate a significant amount of flare, zero light leak and best of all magnetic. This is especially useful for folks like me who love long exposure photography. Using the screw on round ND filters was risky in the field because there was always the risk that I'd drop my filter, knock my camera over or get the filter stuck on the lens. Now it's easy on, easy off which is nice when your light is quickly disappearing and you're needing to recalculate your base exposure constantly. I also have a night sky filter that helps remove the effects of light pollution and a polarizer which I tested recently. Everything performed admirably and was well worth the cost. 

Even if you don't print, high end filters make shooting more enjoyable since you're not having to wrestle with editing out the negative effects of light leak and extreme color cast in the digital darkroom. I'm the type that likes to get as much work in the field as possible, that means having the best gear avlaible to me, something I'd recommend everyone do. Photography is a VERY expensive hobby, don't skimp on the extras. You can't expect to produce technically superior images when you cut corners. 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624654 by fmw
Thanks for answering.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624782 by Nefarious
Well be seeing Amazon gas stations soon.  LOL 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024