Have you had a memory card fail before?

4 years 7 months ago #658638 by Sean Lamber
I was just watching a video from Tony & Chelsea Northrup where they claimed they polled 4000 photographers and half of those photographers said they had at one point had a memory card failure. Are that many people having failures with memory cards?  Seems like an inflated number.  I could be wrong.  

If it is true, seems like that is a crappy bating average that memory card manufactures need to fix.  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658647 by Nikon Shooter
Since 2011, when I converted my operation to digital,
I had only once a bad card that has proven OK after
reformatting. Mind you, I only went for top brands &
models

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658657 by Troponin
I had a card fail, but not completely unusable. Right from the factory it was acting up, causing my camera to lock up after trying to quick view photos. It also had trouble when I took used the “burst” mode. It would take forever to buffer and sometimes would cause it to lock up as well. 

Tried reformatting and no luck. It was a Sony 128g card, which aren’t cheap. I buy almost all 64g cards now as a result.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658659 by garyrhook
With respect to batting average, the statistics need to include how many cards are in use by each photographer, and how many photos are captured on each card. That will get you an overall card failure rate. Then you would break it down by brand, and usage of that brand by all photographers.

You can also look at both of those on an individual photographer basis.

And it's important to note that every card has a lifespan. In time, they'll all fail. I don't think that any given photographer having a card fail is particularly surprising, or rare.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658675 by Ontherocks
Interesting, honestly I have to say I wouldn't have expected that half the people experienced a failure.  But memory cards are something I swap out before end of life, so I guess that throws a wrench into this.  Or it just increases my chances for failure.  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658678 by Shadowfixer1
I've never had a failure. I had one that I thought was bad but it turned out to be a compatibility issue with the D200. Gave it to a Canon guy and he had no issues. No card failures in 17 years of shooting digital.
4 years 7 months ago #658679 by Shadowfixer1

Troponin wrote: I had a card fail, but not completely unusable. Right from the factory it was acting up, causing my camera to lock up after trying to quick view photos. It also had trouble when I took used the “burst” mode. It would take forever to buffer and sometimes would cause it to lock up as well. 

Tried reformatting and no luck. It was a Sony 128g card, which aren’t cheap. I buy almost all 64g cards now as a result.

That sounds more like a compatibility issue than a bad card. 
4 years 7 months ago #658698 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Sean

I do not know the bloggers you refer to - but I seriously doubt the figures of 50% of those polled had a card failure. Others above have also offered considered opinions as well

For myself - over 15 yrs of digital use and as cameras + card sizes changed, of the 20 or so cards I have used, I have only had 2 failures, a never heard of brand, was 2-in-the-packet cards - each failed after a time. Since then I pay a bit more & use well known brands quite happily

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 7 months ago #658702 by effron
Never a failure for me, but that probably guarantees I'll have one corrupt tomorrow.....:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658768 by Chester Foster
Same here, guess I'm one of the lucky ones.  How many of you are running two slots in your camera and writing to each card, one primary and one back up copy?

4 years 7 months ago #658798 by garyrhook

Chester Foster wrote: Same here, guess I'm one of the lucky ones.  How many of you are running two slots in your camera and writing to each card, one primary and one back up copy?

Out of paranoia. I realize that pros shot for a long time with no backup, but one of the main features of a dual slot system is duplication. Totally worth it.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658833 by effron
It may be a generational thing as well, seems older peeps that used to shoot with film are more comfy without a "back up"......there was no such thing with emulsion based photography.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #658834 by effron

Chester Foster wrote: Same here, guess I'm one of the lucky ones.  How many of you are running two slots in your camera and writing to each card, one primary and one back up copy?

Not me, I use two cards, one for "primary" and one for over flow....That being said, I've never filled a card and needed the second.....:S

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658860 by Chris Briggs
Happy to say no failures here.  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658948 by Instamixes
Nope, I didn't have any memory card failure before. I use my cards so carefully.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024