How to tell if used camera is grey market/international model?

4 years 7 months ago #658643 by Ryan Obryan
When you are buying a used camera, or lens for that matter, is there a way you can tell if the camera or lens is USA model or grey market/international?  

I know with Nikon for example has dot next to serial number for refurbished gear.  Is there any sort of markings on cameras for grey market/international?  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658646 by Nikon Shooter
Only through a serial number tracing history, Ryan.

Nikon knows where gear was bought and shipped to,
territorial distributors follow the gear to the retailers.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658660 by Ryan Obryan
So, someone could tell you that you are buying USA model and you wouldn't know any different till you get home and able to run check?

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658662 by garyrhook
That is correct.

Just ask the seller for the serial number. There's no reason to not supply that, unless the camera is hot. In which case you don't want it anyways.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658672 by Ryan Obryan
So you would get this ahead of time?  or are these database easy to access by anyone?

OR you just picking up the phone to call the manufacture?  Actually that might be the easiest assuming it falls within time of business.  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658707 by garyrhook
Yes, ahead of time. For example, eBay sellers often list the s/n of lenses.

I can't say anything further, as I rather doubt that every manufacturer does the same thing. You'll have to do some investigation.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #658751 by Piechura
Just out of interest, if the products are used anyway, does it make any difference if they're grey market? Would a used local model still be covered under warranty?

4 years 7 months ago #658757 by effron

Piechura wrote: Just out of interest, if the products are used anyway, does it make any difference if they're grey market? Would a used local model still be covered under warranty?

Nikon for instance won't repair a gray market unit, of course all cameras they see in repair are used to some extent. There are repair facilities not affiliated with Nikon that might do the work, for my money I avoid gray market gear.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658761 by fmw
The unintended consequences of trying to manage the free market.  The manufacturers deserve what they get.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658766 by garyrhook

fmw wrote: The unintended consequences of trying to manage the free market.  The manufacturers deserve what they get.

Just to spell it out:

The cost of warranted repairs is incorporated into the price; we don't get that five years (Nikon) of coverage as a courtesy. So I understand the higher price for the "US" version.

The problem here is that that extra cost in the US is a cash cow. If everyone understood that the risk of not having that coverage is very, very low (per all the anecdotal information here and elsewhere), then no one would buy the US version. Bye-bye cash flow. So, I understand the policy.

However, after 6 years (-ish) from the manufacture date, I think then charge for repairs no matter where the device came from. Or some such. Punishing people for buying used equipment is, in my mind, problematic.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shadowfixer1
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #658789 by Piechura

effron wrote:

Piechura wrote: Just out of interest, if the products are used anyway, does it make any difference if they're grey market? Would a used local model still be covered under warranty?

Nikon for instance won't repair a gray market unit, of course all cameras they see in repair are used to some extent. There are repair facilities not affiliated with Nikon that might do the work, for my money I avoid gray market gear.

They won't repair even if you pay them to, or they just won't repair for free?

As someone who lives in different countries quite a lot, I might as well buy the grey market models, because most electronics manufacturers will also refuse to repair something if it was bought in a different territory. It's surprising how many 'global' companies can suddenly become very local when it suits them.

4 years 7 months ago #658835 by effron

Piechura wrote: They won't repair even if you pay them to, or they just won't repair for free?

I could be wrong and maybe things have changed, but I think I remember Nikon USA not touching a gray market item, though there were "Nikon approved" facilities that would fix for a cost. A couple years ago Nikon made a move to stop selling parts to many of those shops, so I'm not certain where that leaves a gray gear owner.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #659021 by Jackson Rieger
Ask, always ask.  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #659057 by Roy Wilson
You bought it from one of those cameras stores in NYC that aren't B&H or Adorama :rofl:

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #659419 by Paula_Gor
A couple years ago I was looking to buy a used 200 f/2 and called Nikon to determine whether it was U.S. or not. The customer support rep said that the lens was "probably" U.S. but only the technicians can know for sure. It's pretty frustrating. I didn't buy the lens.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024