Is photographing money illegal?

13 years 2 months ago #28674 by Larrabee
Is photographing money illegal?
I understand if one plans on trying to use it as real money.
But what if the photo of the money is mainly for art.

13 years 2 months ago #28678 by Baydream
Here is an example of stock photos that includes lots of currency.
www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/currency.html

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #28680 by Larrabee
Thanks, so I guess it's not illegal then, since everybodys doing it.

13 years 2 months ago #28810 by leeway
Far as I know you can photograph money all you want as an art form. Just don't try to spend it.:patriot:

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #28847 by Stealthy Ninja

Larrabee wrote: Thanks, so I guess it's not illegal then, since everybodys doing it.

BY this logic all the downloading of MP3s from torrent sites is legal. :p
13 years 2 months ago #28853 by Eddy

leeway wrote: Far as I know you can photograph money all you want as an art form. Just don't try to spend it.:patriot:

That is one way of putting it

13 years 2 months ago #29016 by Larrabee

leeway wrote: Far as I know you can photograph money all you want as an art form. Just don't try to spend it.:patriot:

:rofl:

13 years 2 months ago #29129 by digitalpimp

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Larrabee wrote: Thanks, so I guess it's not illegal then, since everybodys doing it.

BY this logic all the downloading of MP3s from torrent sites is legal. :p

:rofl: :rofl: Napster

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #29260 by arkady001
Technically, yes it is illegal, both in the UK, EU and USA.
Any form of reproduction whether electronic or by other means is contrary to legislation enforced by HM Immigration and Customs in the UK and the Treasury Department in the US.

In practice you'll be OK unless you attempt to 'pass off' that copied image as currency.

13 years 2 months ago #30775 by jennyjohn52
I took a few minutes to look it up on the web, as I actually thought it was okay, so long as you didn't try to pass it off as real money. Here's the link to the website I took the information from and a few short paragraphs about the guidelines.

www.secretservice.gov/money_illustrations.shtml

KNOW YOUR MONEY
Illustrations of Currency, Checks or Other Obligations
The law sharply restricts photographs or other printed reproductions of paper currency, checks, bonds, revenue stamps and securities of the United States and foreign governments.

For additional illustrations of U.S. currency visit the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

U.S. Currency
The Counterfeit Detection Act of 1992, Public Law 102-550, in Section 411 of Title 31 of the Code of Federal Regulations, permits color illustrations of U.S. currency provided:

The illustration is of a size less than three-fourths or more than one and one-half, in linear dimension, of each part of the item illustrated

The illustration is one-sided

All negatives, plates, positives, digitized storage medium, graphic files, magnetic medium, optical storage devices, and any other thing used in the making of the illustration that contain an image of the illustration or any part thereof are destroyed and/or deleted or erased after their final use

Other Obligations and Securities

Photographic or other likenesses of other United States obligations and securities and foreign currencies are permissible for any non-fraudulent purpose, provided the items are reproduced in black and white and are less than three-quarters or greater than one-and-one-half times the size, in linear dimension, of any part of the original item being reproduced.

Negatives and plates used in making the likenesses must be destroyed after their use for the purpose for which they were made. This policy permits the use of currency reproductions in commercial advertisements, provided they conform to the size and color restrictions.

Motion picture films, microfilms, videotapes, and slides of paper currency, securities, and other obligations may be made in color or black and white for projection or telecasting. No prints may be made from these unless they conform to the size and color restrictions.

Coins

Photographs, printed illustrations, motion picture film or slides of United States and foreign coins may be used for any purpose.

With few exceptions, existing law generally prohibits the manufacture, sale or use of any token, disk or device in the likeness or similitude of any coins of the United States, or of any foreign country, which are issued as money.

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024