Photographers, what wild animals have you encountered while out shooting?

2 months 3 weeks ago #672444 by Ruby Grace
I'm more interested in hearing which animals you have encountered that could potentially harm you, that have a reputation as not very friendly to humans. 

This morning I got up early and was out looking for a good shot, when a coyote walked 4-5 feet away from me, who wasn't scared, and wasn't aggressive towards me.  He/she caught me off guard, and surprised me at the same time.  

What animals have you encountered in similar situations while out shooting?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 weeks ago #672468 by effron
A bobcat, a cougar while hunting over thirty years ago, a black bear twice and the only one that gave me a serious pause, a Bull Moose.. I also had a rabid skunk get after me once, that was a thrill.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #672472 by Nikon Shooter
I was left alone by the beach for a short while in Frobisher Bay,
member of an Arctic oceaniographic expedition as photographer.

At a distance, I saw a group of walruses snoozing on the rocks
and I had the brilliant idea to get closer for some shots. I would
never have guessed these thing are so fast and, at times, so very
bad tempered. Sure, I got out to a safer distance but that was a
strong adrenaline rush.

A couple of skunks in the Laurentides mountains, that was close!
A white bear in Churchill would have been happy to have a taste
of us but we were in a tundra vehicle.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #672513 by CaptNemo
+1 black bear and cougar, both were more scared of me, than I was of them.  

Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #672633 by Ruby Grace
I went to Google and did a search on photographer run in with wild animals and surprisingly elephants seem to be the most aggressive.  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #672641 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Ruby

Each continent has its own collection of 'potential nasties' ~ we are all aware of Africa's big-five animals, each of which is dangerous to man. We in Downunder-land also have our collection of nasties, and they come in various shapes ans sizes

Saltwater crocodiles, a damn sight more dangerous than alligators - all over northern Oz, and they are very efficient stalkers of people
= the first thing any boat tour guide tells people on the boat is 'nothing - absolutely nothing shows over the sides of the boat' during the tour

The funnel web spider - about 2inches across, lives in holes in the ground or fallen timber. Its bite will kill you quite easily
= we had one in the house a few years back, it arrived with some timber for the fireplace, we captured the spider and delivered it to the CSIRO for their use

The 'western inland Tiapan' snake - very rare but full grown is about 18 inches long. Its bite will kill a man in less than 60 minutes
= luckily they are rare and only 'way out in the outback' so I have never seen one

and this list could go on - but one also realises that traffic crashes consume more people that all the others combined

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Attachments:

2 months 3 weeks ago #672646 by effron

Ruby Grace wrote: I went to Google and did a search on photographer run in with wild animals and surprisingly elephants seem to be the most aggressive.  

Maybe with photographers, but in Africa Hippos kill more people yearly than crocs, elephants, lions combined. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #672779 by Steve Zahra
Hmmm, good question.  I've seen bobcats, coyotes, snakes (not sure if this counts), and that's about it for me.  We head to Peru in July this year.  I'm sure I'm going to see more on that trip.  

Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #672873 by Mike McKinnon
Well, aside from the huge killer turtle, LOL nothing exciting for me.  Oh and the turtle if you didn't pick up on my sarcasm is just regular turtle at a pond near where I live.  

2 months 3 weeks ago #672941 by effron

Mike McKinnon wrote: Well, aside from the huge killer turtle, LOL nothing exciting for me.  Oh and the turtle if you didn't pick up on my sarcasm is just regular turtle at a pond near where I live.  

A couple years ago I stopped to move a rather large snapping turtle off a highway, and if that sucker could have stretched his neck another couple inches, I could have lost a finger or two. Talk about lacking gratitude.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #672943 by Nikon Shooter
Next time, you let it cook there and you can eat it!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #672960 by effron
I'll let you know, I leave road kill alone.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Is Canvas On Demand a good option for getting a canvas print? In this Canvas On Demand review, find out if their products meet their sales pitch of "premium products" or if the canvas falls short.

Apr 09, 2020

Photography bags and camera bags should not only be comfortable to carry, but functional, durable, and help you organize your gear too. These bags do the trick!

Apr 08, 2020

This Max Art Pro canvas print review offers insights into the quality of Max Art Pro canvases, as well as a few things about Max Art Pro, like their products, promo codes, return policy, and more.

Apr 08, 2020

Dragging big, heavy, and complicated lighting gear around simply isn't necessary. With these portable lighting tips, you can get the light you need without the frustration and expenditure of money!

Apr 07, 2020

In this Nations Photo Lab metal print review, learn about the quality of my metal print, as well as details about Nations Photo Lab, Nations Photo Lab products, and much more!

Apr 07, 2020

With these tips for photographing real estate, you'll learn how to prep a home for photos in the springtime for maximum visual appeal.

Apr 07, 2020

Shutterfly is a household name for photographic prints. In this Shutterfly metal print review, find out if this popular Shutterfly product is a must or if you should skip it.

Apr 06, 2020

The mirrorless vs. DSLR debate has raged for years. So which one is best for 2020? Find out in this camera gear comparison guide.

Apr 06, 2020