Securing camera gear while camping?

3 years 10 months ago #688431 by Jennifer Krueger
When your car is not near and you need to secure your camera gear while camping, what are you using or doing with your gear?

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #688432 by Nikon Shooter
For that purpose, I got myself a military trunk from
the surplus store. I only had to improve on the sea-
ling quality of it. It is lock when not in use and kept
in the lucked truck overnight.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #688561 by Chris Briggs

Nikon Shooter wrote: For that purpose, I got myself a military trunk from
the surplus store. I only had to improve on the sea-
ling quality of it. It is lock when not in use and kept
in the lucked truck overnight.

While camping?

I keep my camera with me at all times when camping. 

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #688578 by Glen Martin
Some sort of lock box that you can secure to your tent or something awkward for someone to pick up and run off with.  Other than that, just bring your most important gear with you in a backpack of some sort.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #688629 by Jennifer Krueger
What about a lock bag? Have you guys tried one of those?

Thank you

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #688810 by icepics
So what's to keep somebody from stealing the whole bag?

I used to just take a camera and lens and kept it with me all the time, didn't go anywhere without it. Travel light, don't take a lot of stuff.

Maybe get an old beater of a camera to take along camping. (I've bought used from KEH in 'Bargain' condition which means it works fine but looks nicked and dinged up like a piece of junk, which ought to make criminal types think it's not worth stealing! lol I'm guessing, I don't know what goes on in the heads of crooks.)

Sharon
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #688834 by Nikon Shooter

Chris Briggs wrote: While camping? I keep my camera with me at all times when camping. 

The possible difference is that my camping is location work,
I need lots more than just on holidays. I lock my bag in the
trunk (that is screwed 8x to the truck) with two padlocks.

NO BRANDING of any kind is visible.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #688850 by Prago
:agree:  ALWAYS bring your gear with you that you don't want to disappear.  Play it safe. 

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024