How do protect yourself when photographing in the deep forests?

3 years 9 months ago #690897 by Tony Imaging
This Corona Virus is getting old.  I'm going to start getting out more into our national forests and state parks.  But what do you carry on you to protect yourself from wild animals?  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690903 by Nikon Shooter
The worst to do is to surprise animals. When they can hear you
and have the choice, all wildlife will prefer to have the time find
a way out. But when not…

If you are on the hunt for animals, be very quiet, and move in the
wind so not to be detected by your subjects and wear some smel-
ly repellent (ammonia like) so not to be followed.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #691026 by Patrick G
:agree:    get yourself one of those metal bells that will alert animals you are inbound.  Carry bear spray with you as well and a good knife.   

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #691090 by Ira Weber
+1 on the bell.  They are inexpensive and good insurance to have.  I do have a small collection fo knifes that carry on a regular basis.  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #691098 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Tony

Well you mob have a quite different set of "problems" to us mob Downunder

Aussie kangaroos will hear you from 100+ yards away and disappear into the bush before you even know that they were there. On the other hand Aussie crocs just lie stealthily in the bushes alongside the river and attack you directly, dragging you into the water asap

Then there are the politicians in the street who seem to want to attack you with open arms ~ but those animals are another story

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Attachments:
3 years 9 months ago #691101 by Shadowfixer1
I've roamed the woods all my life and have never had an issue but there aren't any grizzlies where I am from. I don't mind the other bears as long as you don't surprise a mom and her cubs.
3 years 9 months ago #691237 by Nefarious
Man those crocs are no joke!  As for me, I just carry a knife with a 6" blade

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #691612 by Harrison J
Airhorn is your best friend

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #691672 by Cara Wilkins
My husband :P

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #691729 by Moe
I’ve never needed anything, however I do have a small 4 inch knife that’s in my camera bag.

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #691776 by Stanly
Never had any issues as well. But I do have a small pocket knife.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #691779 by CharleyL
I've walked a lot of trails in the North East USA and never had any significant problems with animals. Like others said, they will avoid you, if they can and hear you coming. I've been in bear country for black bears, had a couple of near encounters, but none close. Beware of animals protecting their offspring, be it raccoons, skunks, bears, deer, etc. They will attack if they feel a need to protect their young. Noise that is unusual to the forest usually works well to keep them away. Whistles, air horns, bells, etc. all work in varying degrees.

I've spent as much as 2 weeks at a time in country where I never met another human. I carried a police type whistle and a 4" pocket knife. My closest encounters were mostly chipmunks that joined us for breakfast. Cooking eggs seems to bring them quickly. They are not a danger, and tame quickly if you throw pieces of scrambled eggs to them. In a few minutes, I've had them sitting on my knee, waiting for the next piece of egg. They like roasted peanuts too. A chipmunk can hold 5 peanuts in their mouths, 2 in each cheek, and one straight in. Then they head for home with the booty and return quickly for more. There isn't much in the way of animals to fear in the forests of the NE USA, except those protecting their young, and the unpredictable human animal, but fortunately, I managed to avoid close encounters with most of them. 

Charley

3 years 9 months ago #691811 by Tony Imaging
So do any of you have or carry a gun with you?

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #691813 by CharleyL
Why? I always considered it too heavy and not needed for my walks, but then I trimmed off the borders of my maps to save carrying extra weight too. In grizzly or gator country  one might be needed, but I've never been to either. Other than those animals, humans might be a threat, but my experience has indicated that the ones that walk in the forests have all been the friendly ones. Take something that makes a loud unusual noise and enjoy your walk. You likely will never even need the noise maker, so why pack a very heavy gun.

Charley

3 years 8 months ago #692792 by Nikon Shooter

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024