How long do you normally use a camera before upgrading?

3 years 4 months ago #705106 by Ruby Grace
Boy this question should win me 'most random question of 2020'! :rofl:

Seriously though, a friend and I were jibber jabbering yesterday about how often people upgrade their cameras.  It seems (by our discussion) that people upgrade more these days then back in the film era.  But then my friend thought upgrading has slowed during the later part of mirrorless.  

Is there any data that supports any of this?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #705127 by Nikon Shooter
From the F1 to F4, Nikon issued a new body every ten years or so.
With digital bodies it is different. Competition among all brands,
fast pace technology evolution, etc push all makers to outperform
— or try to — all others and that makes newer models coming ever
faster on the marketplace.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #705128 by fmw
I use it until it longer meets my needs.  My last change occurred about 5 years ago when I sold my big heavy Nikon gear and bought the small light Fuji gear.  It had nothing to do with sensors.  It was about size and weight which is problem for me in my old age.

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #705138 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Ruby

I have always used the criteria "always buy the best that you can afford and use it until it wears out". ie- not necessarily the best on the market, but the best that I can afford ~ which is very different!

This has worked well for me with cars, clothes work tools and cameras

Thus to answer your Q - in my case, it's about 5 - 8 years between updates for equipment

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 4 months ago #705143 by db3348
Along similar lines to  fmw and ozzie ,  I   keep  a camera  until  it  no longer performs  the tasks  for which I  bought  it  or  no longer suits  the type of photography  I  choose  to do .  
Unlike some camera buyers ,  I  don't buy  just because  the latest trendy model with all the fancy gadget and gismo features  appears  on the market . 
My present digital I've had for some 6 years ,  and  not looking  to replace  it  any time soon .  And I'll keep  my 1970 vintage film cameras  until they literally fall apart and can not be fixed . 

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #705230 by Eric A
Oh, good question.  No set frequency.  I have never had a camera that just died, so all my upgrades were just 'that time'.  I guess all things including budget, need (or want) and timing aligned for me to buy a new camera.   LOL best I can mustard up!  

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #705549 by Gammill
Oh dang, no set timing either.   Just when I'm needing (or sometimes REALLY want) and budget and everything else is aligned just right.  lol

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #708639 by TCav
There are those that simply need to have the latest and greatest of everything, so they upgrade whenever an upgrade is available. This is the 'Camera as Bling' group.

There are those that experience critical shortcomings in the gear they've got, and upgrade when they see something that eliminates those shortcomings. Those are the 'Camera as Tool' group.

Me? I used my Minolta SRT-102 until I couldn't find a local place to develop film.

3 years 2 months ago #708671 by Nikon Shooter

TCav wrote: I used my Minolta SRT-102 until I couldn't find a local place to develop film.

Why not DIY?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #708679 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day TCav

I remember the SRT-101 very clearly ... an excellent camera with a wonderful bevy of lenses -but- not the 102. What was the difference? or was it just a 101 rejigged for the US marketplace?

3 years 2 months ago #708699 by Baydream
i only had 3 film cmeras over many years, I now have 3 digitals. I bought a 70d even though I had a 60D for the touch screen and others features. I still have the 60D as a backup (only issue is that pop  up flash does not pop up), Then I added a 5DmkIII to go full frame. I use the 70D and 5D about the same. I have thought about the 5DmkIV but not jumped on iit. As for mirrorless, I am slightly interested but do not want to have to replace the army of EF lenses I have. If one of them quits, I will see what is out there at the time. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #708702 by TCav

Nikon Shooter wrote:

TCav wrote: I used my Minolta SRT-102 until I couldn't find a local place to develop film.

Why not DIY?

I DIYed in high school (late '60s) but had misplace all my tanks and gear. In high school, I lived in a house with a basement where I could DIY (I used to tell my parents that I was going downstairs to develop. They got a kick out of that.) but haven't had an appropriate place to do it since.

3 years 2 months ago #708704 by selena18
When the Canon AE - 1 Program came out, I bought my first SLR, a good 35 mm camera that I still use it. Then I bought myself the digitals that came out in the late ’90s,my first one was a Kodak point and shoot that cost 800.00. I can't believe that price to this day for a megapixel. Then I upgraded to the Fuji S2 when it came out and since it used Nikon lenses, I bought the D2X because I wanted more mp than the Fuji offered but I still have the S2 and plan on keeping it. I still love using it.
I didn't upgrade to the D3 but I definitely want the D3S sometime in the early part of next year. I want the high ISO it offers and other features it has too.

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #708705 by TCav

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: I remember the SRT-101 very clearly ... an excellent camera with a wonderful bevy of lenses -but- not the 102. What was the difference?

What I remember is that the 101 displayed the shutter speed in the viewfinder, while the 102 displayed the aperture also. There were a few other differences, but I can't recall them off hand.

I had the 101, but left it on the roof of my car as I sped off into traffic. It had all the corners rounded off but worked fine, and if I could have closed the back, I 'd have kept using it. I sent it off to get fixed, and before I got it back, the 102 came out, so I sold the 101 and bought the 102.

I think outside the US, the 102 was called the 303.

3 years 2 months ago #708771 by Prago
Pretty much when ever my budget says its OK and there is a camera body that looks good.

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024