Certified Professional Photographer Questions

2 years 2 months ago #732596 by ImJenny
Hello Everyone!

I am wondering if anyone can tell me about their experience with or knowledge of the Certified Professional Photographer program through Professional Photographers of America. Is it worth it and why/how?

Thank you for your time; I appreciate it!
Sincerely,
Jenny

2 years 2 months ago #732745 by Prago
I know a few people who have obtained it, and honestly both have seen no benefit other than an extra name title shared among photographers.  Clients care about your quality of your work, not some piece of paper.   

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #732746 by Nikon Shooter

Prago wrote: Clients care about your quality of your work, not some piece of paper.   

:agree:

I've been a working pro for many many years and I was asked to pull out
my gear many times but never my certifications.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #732760 by ImJenny
Thank you, Prago. That's sort of what I was thinking as well, but I didn't want to miss doing something that would help. Your perspective is pretty much what I'm getting on other forums as well. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Hope you are well!

2 years 2 months ago #732761 by ImJenny
Thanks, Nikon Shooter! Your comment made me think. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. It seems to be the general consensus on all the forums where I asked the question. Hope you are well!

2 years 2 months ago #732764 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Jenny

While certification and letters after one's name show clients that you have some industry recognition, sometimes they are acquired merely by paying an annual fee to the treasurer of said organisation!

A better course of action - esp for a beginner - is to complete a Diploma or equivalent at a recognised college. This would provide the person with skills acquired via completion of designated topics during the course. Aussie Diplomas are usually a 2- or 3-yr course at one of our tertiary education colleges

And then as NS says - it is results that brings clients to the business / your door ... a good portfolio of examples along with good business sales and follow-up skills all have their place in the picture too

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 years 2 months ago #732765 by r1ch
Hi Jenny,
Some industries recognize certification. In my industry they have them. Microsoft, Cisco certified network professional, Microsoft certified solutions associate/expert (MCSA/MCSE), Certified cloud security professional (CCSP). In the auto repair, they have certification, and other areas. In my industry, you have to have them to be employed at some companies, and minimally they are a bargaining chip at the salary negotiation table. Do they help in photography? From what the others said, no. BUT. I have been to PPA meetings. I think the organization is sound. They discuss the market and you hear from other professionals in your area. The have classes and information on insurance, contracts and local laws pertaining to your business which can vary from state to state. For this alone I think it is important to join them and become a member if you are a professional. You can ask questions about dealing with unruly, demanding customers, and your obligations legally as well as contract considerations. That is my take on PPA, but certification. I don't know. If you have a studio and you have a certification on the wall I suppose could ease customer concerns. But I agree with the others above. Your work will speak for itself to help you gain clients and client trust.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ozzie_Traveller
2 years 2 months ago #732770 by Ontherocks
Whats funny is I always thought these photography certificates were novelty.  

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #732807 by ImJenny
Lol, Ontherocks!

2 years 2 months ago #732808 by ImJenny
Thank you, r1ch! I appreciate you taking the time to answer the question. It was very helpful. Hope you are well!

2 years 2 months ago #732809 by ImJenny
Thank you, Phil! All that you said makes a lot of sense. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. It got me thinking about the future. We are in the process of what to do next. Hope you are well and enjoying your summer. Not long until fall for you (my favorite season) and spring for us!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024