Are you using a photographers vest?

2 years 2 months ago #733184 by Scott Klubeck
Any of you sporting a photographers vest?  If so, can you recommend one to me that is comfortable and doesn't look like a tarp hanging on you?  

Many thanks!

Scott

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #733188 by CharleyL
I don't own a photographer's vest. At least not yet.

But a photographer friend uses a fly fishing vest. He says that "it has more pockets". Maybe it does, so you might consider searching for both to find what's best for you and your way of shooting. The larger sporting equipment stores should have the Fishing Vests.

My photo work is done mostly in my studio now, but I do still own a 2 camera shoulder harness and a photographers belt that I wear when carrying additional lenses in pouches that I clip to it and shooting outside and away from the car. Carrying many things hooked to me like this makes me very uncomfortable quickly, so it's only done in rare cases. Even just wearing the shoulder harness with two DSLR cameras gets uncomfortable quickly for me. I like to travel as light as possible when walking, and using a folding wagon or folding luggage hand truck for my gear, when the path taken is smooth enough for it. I do have a large fanny pack for carrying spare batteries, and If outside in near or below freezing Weather, the fanny pack is worn high on my chest under my Winter Coat to keep the batteries warm.

Let us know what you buy and why you chose it. I'm certain that many of us would like to know more about the vests or whatever you decide to buy, and why you picked that one over the others.

Charley

2 years 2 months ago #733194 by Scott Klubeck
Interesting, never even thought about a fisherman's vest.  Thank you for the tip, I'm going to look at those to see if more options.  

Your friend is able to fit camera lenses and such in pockets on that?  

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #733196 by CharleyL
Scott,

Filters and batteries yes. I have no idea if he manages to carry lenses in it. We haven't been on a shoot together, but he has shown up here still wearing his fishing vest.

Lenses are kind-of big for most pockets, and why I have the belt with the D rings for attaching lens pouches. I have the Altura lens pouch sets (with the purple fringe) and each has a snap hook attached to allow it to be easily attached to a belt D ring. My Winter jackets have big pockets, so I have carried a single lens in one of the pockets a few times. In warmer Weather, if I needed another lens, it would likely be hanging from the belt or back in the car with the rest of my gear. I'm 80 years old, so things that once were easy to carry are getting heavier now, or at least they feel like it. If I could get myself lighter, that would likely help too.

Charley

2 years 2 months ago #733386 by Foxy Girl
3 years ago, perhaps 4, I was given a photographers vest for Christmas, while I loved the gift, I didn't enjoy wearing it.  Just wasn't comfortable for me, I don't like the feeling of lumps, and when you had anything in it, it felt like a lump..  

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #733396 by TCav
I bought one at a Ritz Camera years ago, and use it occasionally, keeping lens cleaning gear, extra SD cards and batteries, even lenses, and for longer outings, food and water.

In my experience, fishing vests tend to have lots of small and medium size pockets, but nothing that could hold bulkier items like long lenses or water bottles.

2 years 2 months ago #733579 by Sawyer
Got one and really only use it during warmer weather.  

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #733670 by Finn
Tried one years ago, but frankly just don't like wearing it.  

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #733672 by Screamin Scott
Have one and never use it...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #733961 by Robert Chen
uncomfortable IMHO

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
2 years 1 month ago #734092 by Ira Weber
Never have, I have a friend who wears one religiously 

Photo Comments
2 years 1 month ago #734186 by Chris Briggs
Not a vest peep either 

Photo Comments
2 years 1 month ago #734389 by Ian Stone
Actually if you wear one for a day and forget about what you think you look like, photography vests are awesome.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024